2020-21 Season

3 minutes ago, Aquinas said:

I think Lorentson is going to get some minutes in most games. He is our third big man, so he will see minutes in games where we want to play a big lineup and could pick up significant minutes in games where French gets into foul trouble.  He allows French and Bell to continue to play aggressively, even when they pick up fouls.

You mean Linssen, right?

SLU_Nick likes this

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, SLU_Nick said:

I think Yuri finding Gibby/Jacobs/Perkins in the corner for the open 3 is my most anticipated.  He is going to give defenses fits this year.  

Watching that video reminds me truly how many weapons Ford will have this year.  I would really like to see a 9-10 man rotation in the beginning to ensure we do not wear down over the course of an entire (weird) season.  

With a 9 man rotation, Jacobs is on paper the #9 and Linssen, Loresntson, Strickland are all watching.  

The competition in practice has to be insane right now.  

Absolutely. The floor spacing should be spectacular. Defenses won't be able to sag off their man or they'll pay the price. That's going to open things up for Goodwin and French to have their way around the rim.

Or, you know, maybe not. I'm excited to see what happens. 

30 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Didn't he go practice by going up and down long flights of stairs after the 2019-20 season was stopped? There are no springs, it is just constant training and a strong will to get where he wants to go.

No. He had springs implanted when he was in elem school

From the Athletic piece. Looks like J-Good has been working on the mechanics of his jump shot. If he can become even a respectable 3-point (and free throw) shooter, thinking about how good this team could be...oh man. I can’t wait for November!

2BA6855D-486C-4D56-A475-635F69D9A0B9.png

6 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

Think this is the first hint that the plan is to start Perkins this season? I'd then assume we're going with YC, JG, JP, HF, JB? 

The first (and obvious) hint was Perkins averaging 15 ppg last season. Him starting next season has been a no-brainer all off-season. I expect the starting lineup to be what you listed or YC, GJ, JG, JP, and HF. It may depend on the game. 

4 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

One where he didn't start.....

I think he should as well, but he played 30+ mins last season. I don't understand the need for him to start

That's not a need, but he will start. Not sure why my post deserves a bad post either. Perkins is one of our best players, and his starting role is inevitable. 

I don't have a problem with Perkins starting.I also don't have a problem with Perkins being sixth man.

The article points out the problem we all know ... free throws .... so who finishes is a bigger issue to me.  If  Goodwin has improved as much as he says, the finishers should be Collins, Jimerson, Perkins, Goodwin and a selection from Thatch, Bell, Hargrove  and Jacobs.  If Linsson can shoot free throws, that's nine guys.  If French improves so much ..... well, but three years of history suggests otherwise.  I expect a lot of offense-for-defense subs closing close games this year.  Unless we don't have many of those.

slufanskip likes this

I don't really expect much from French at the line, because I think it's a mental thing. We've all noticed and commented on how good he looks in warmups then the buzzer goes off as does his 80% mark in warmups. Hope I'm wrong, because FT's have killed us the last two years. I didn't realize we missed 11 against SVU. Hell, if we'd made just 70% of those misses we'd have blown them away. 

1 hour ago, BilliesBy40 said:

That's not a need, but he will start. Not sure why my post deserves a bad post either. Perkins is one of our best players, and his starting role is inevitable. 

Perkins is arguably THE best player. Starting matters to these kids, and you're right, he's earned the starting spot with his performances last year.

4 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Having someone to come in fresh who can create his own shot whenever he wants is huge. I would bet perkins enjoys that role. He has the green light whenever he comes in and is on the court with some of the bench guys. Where as a starter he may feel the need to defer. I'll be surprised if he starts. 

If he likes coming off the bench, then that's awesome. I'm not going to pretend to know what this kid does and doesn't like, but if he wants to start, he's earned that honor.

Plus, the article in the Athletic literally says Ford plans to start him this season. 

3 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

I would argue that his performance at the end of last year was the first hint.

People do love semantics.. perhaps it should have been phrased, "I believe this is the first time that Coach Ford has gone on the record that the plan is for Perkins to start this season."

Littlebill and slufanskip like this

1 minute ago, majerus mojo said:

People do love semantics.. perhaps it should have been phrased, "I believe this is the first time that Coach Ford has gone on the record that the plan is for Perkins to start this season."

Sorry, you're right.  I was nitpicking wording.

27 minutes ago, TaLBErt said:

If he likes coming off the bench, then that's awesome. I'm not going to pretend to know what this kid does and doesn't like, but if he wants to start, he's earned that honor.

Plus, the article in the Athletic literally says Ford plans to start him this season. 

Fair I didn't catch that. I agree if he wants to start let him he most certainly has earned it. Just think he plays that jamal crawford/ lou williams role really well for this team.