2020-21 Season

46 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Networks aren’t going to let schools and conferences out of deals they have already signed.

That is true, but it still leaves out a number of games for which there is no TV coverage contractual obligation. There are also games that are carried by TV in some areas but not at the location where the game is being played, and perhaps other areas as well. These games can be made pay per view with the income shared between the playing schools and the TV originator. The lawyers are probably going to make a lot of money out of this season ironing out these issues. As always, where there is a will there is a way.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks like the Orlando tournament will be a go.  Three tournament teams, in the last few days, have been rated by the Top 144 boys.  If you don't think their ratings are extremely accurate, you might at least find some decent information on opponents' rosters in their analysis section.  Not surprisingly all 8 teams will be in the top 144.

Siena #125 (1st in MAAC); Belmont #101 (1st in OVC); Boise St. #63 (2nd in Mo. West); Auburn #526 (8th in SEC); Xavier #54 (7th in B E).  That leaves 3 teams still to be rated, SLU; Zags and Mich St

Given the fact we’re not going to play at least 4 games of our OOC schedule, I think we’re gonna have to win 2 of our 3 games in Orlando. With at least one of them coming against a P5. The selection committee is going to be working with fewer data points, so every opportunity we get to knock off a Q1 team must be taken advantage of. 

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

Given the fact we’re not going to play at least 4 games of our OOC schedule, I think we’re gonna have to win 2 of our 3 games in Orlando. With at least one of them coming against a P5. The selection committee is going to be working with fewer data points, so every opportunity we get to knock off a Q1 team must be taken advantage of. 

There's only two P5's in the tournament. Only Belmont, Siena, and Boise would be inconsequential wins, IMO

26 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

There's only two P5's in the tournament. Only Belmont, Siena, and Boise would be inconsequential wins, IMO

You should consider Zaga and X as P5’s as Quad 1 Ws. And I agree taking the whole thing is possible. Since we got everyone back we shouldn’t have the learning curve to go through. I think Zaga returns their core  too, however. 

If Rothstein's $10,000-$15,000 Buy game rate is correct, it would pretty much ensure that any such games at Chaifetz would be against teams which can bus in.  Teams like SEMO, UM-KC and SIU-E.  Although not what you normally think of as "buy game" quality opponents, maybe a couple of MVC teams would be looking for close, regional teams to fill their schedules for one year (Bradley, MO State, Ill. St.) or teams like Murray St, which would actually be a pretty solid, maybe even Q1 game.

As Coach Ford has indicated, there will be lots of teams scrambling to fill their schedules.  If Mizzou was any better than a Q2 team that would be ok to let them come to Chaifetz and get there butts kicked, but we have no reason to play them since we would get little value out of beating them!  Does that rationale sound familiar Tiger fans?

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

Two thoughts here.  Might our H and H with Memphis get pushed back a year so that fans can attend?

The drastic cut in Buy Games $$ will crush some lower level teams who are extremely dependent on buy games to fund most of their athletic program. 

-that $75 to $100k is more than I thought or his # is not correct, I thought it was more in the $50k area but I guess mine could be dated info

-yes, the schools that rely on the buy games to fund their ADept have to be wondering what to do to survive, not good for them

2 hours ago, bauman said:

If Rothstein's $10,000-$15,000 Buy game rate is correct, it would pretty much ensure that any such games at Chaifetz would be against teams which can bus in.  Teams like SEMO, UM-KC and SIU-E.  Although not what you normally think of as "buy game" quality opponents, maybe a couple of MVC teams would be looking for close, regional teams to fill their schedules for one year (Bradley, MO State, Ill. St.) or teams like Murray St, which would actually be a pretty solid, maybe even Q1 game.

As Coach Ford has indicated, there will be lots of teams scrambling to fill their schedules.  If Mizzou was any better than a Q2 team that would be ok to let them come to Chaifetz and get there butts kicked, but we have no reason to play them since we would get little value out of beating them!  Does that rationale sound familiar Tiger fans?

Busing in regional teams would have some merit, although we don't want to load up on buy games, unless there is no other option.  I am also in favor of playing MVC teams, and like H and H series.  Get games where teams can bus in, play, and bus home all in the same day.

All we know for sure is that SEMO, Siena and N.Ill home games and the SIUC away game won't be played on the previously scheduled dates.  I believe the Orlando MTE is solid (per Jon Rothstein), but could they/would they add more games? (Mark Few stated on a Rothstein podcast they may play Baylor in Orlando, who is scheduled to be in Orlando at a different MTE.)

The Houston Mega-Bubble, 20 team event is apparently still a possibility.  Coach said we got an invite, so are we in or not?  We'll know when we know. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see the MWC v A10 Challenge pushed back a year.  Does Air Force really want to fly to Philly and play St. Joe in an empty gym?  George Mason flying all the way to Fresno State?  Eh, maybe wait a year.

And @Cowboy, I remember last season when Evansville beat Kentucky at Rupp, there was a $90,000 check delivered from the losers to the winners.   Sweeeeet.

On 9/21/2020 at 2:34 PM, willie said:

I would have lost money on this. Didn't think he would show. Glad I was wrong. 

Willie, I join you in being glad you were wrong. 😉   I love to add an outstanding shooter to the team.  Using available %s, I would say we have 3, A+ beyond the arc shooters, GJ, Russell and Lorentsson and 2 B+  - A shooters, JP and Jacobs.  I hope we can see FT Jr, TJ and Yuri all approach 32-35 %  with the rest unknown, Strickland and Jordan G.

I owe Yuri an apology.  I just saw that he shot 37% from behind the arc last year and I expect him to improve over that this year.  He should have been grouped with Javonte and Jacobs, not with FT Jr and TJ

Reinert310 likes this

Just now, WVBilliken said:

So, given our other European big had to quarantine for two weeks, he should be ready to roll, before mid October.

I think, AT BEST, he’s gonna be on the TJ Hargrove plan this year. He’s just so far behind the 8-ball. Hopefully, our S&C coach has given workouts to be doing while he waits. But a redshirt might be the best thing for Andre. The question is whether he’d be ok with that. It’s gonna be really interesting to how the roster shakes out once games start. But it’s great to see he’s gonna be on campus and working out with the other guys soon.