2020-21 Season

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, BuiltFordBills said:

Drooling over waiting for  Yurimania driving and kicking an outlet pass to Gibby. BANG! He got it for 3! Question: what’s more exciting a Gibby 3, or a Hargrove jam? I’ll take the 3 because of the extra point. Even though, a TJ slam definitely gets my blood flowing. 

3 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Drooling over waiting for  Yurimania driving and kicking an outlet pass to Gibby. BANG! He got it for 3! Question: what’s more exciting a Gibby 3, or a Hargrove jam? I’ll take the 3 because of the extra point. Even though, a TJ slam definitely gets my blood flowing. 

Hargrove slams are electric 

CBFan likes this

5 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Jimerson's threes are more productive.  Hargrove's ferocious dunks delight our inner bully.

slu72 and Billiken Rich like this

On 9/14/2020 at 9:16 AM, TheA_Bomb said:

Went to UTEP at Texas Football on Saturday.  25% capacity is allowed at the games so that's approximately 25,000 people which seemed so sparse in the huge stadium.   Ticket holders were assigned a specific entry gate to limit mixing.   All concessions were open to limit waiting in line.  All students with tickets were Covid tested on Thursday in order to attend game (95 positive of 1,198 total).

So this has me thinking about SLU.  I'm not sure if they've completely decided against allowing spectators. But, if they did it could be done safely.   Perhaps for big games they have it in the dome to allow a greater crowd.  Indoors is  dicier than outdoors so maybe less capacity.   SLU could also test students prior.   They tested all students upon arrival to campus this Fall.

ABomb, it can be done safely. The issue is how much money will they lose, if any, when they follow such  guidelines. As you described, all the gates and concessions should be open to prevent crowding, you did not mention this but something will have to be done to control crowding at the restrooms. This means the personnel level required to do this kind of thing will be high, costs will be high. Can 25% attendance, probably limited to seasons ticket holders plus students, cover the cost of opening up the Fetz? Will SLU decide to do it regardless of the possible loss?

What I am trying to say is that it can be done IF SLU decides that whatever loss incurred per game is OK and will be taken as a necessary expense.

23 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Went to UTEP at Texas Football on Saturday.  25% capacity is allowed at the games so that's approximately 25,000 people which seemed so sparse in the huge stadium.   Ticket holders were assigned a specific entry gate to limit mixing.   All concessions were open to limit waiting in line.  All students with tickets were Covid tested on Thursday in order to attend game (95 positive of 1,198 total).

So this has me thinking about SLU.  I'm not sure if they've completely decided against allowing spectators. But, if they did it could be done safely.   Perhaps for big games they have it in the dome to allow a greater crowd.  Indoors is  dicier than outdoors so maybe less capacity.   SLU could also test students prior.   They tested all students upon arrival to campus this Fall.

ABomb, it can be done safely. The issue is how much money will they lose, if any, when they follow such  guidelines. As you described, all the gates and concessions should be open to prevent crowding, you did not mention this but something will have to be done to control crowding at the restrooms. This means the personnel level required to do this kind of thing will be high, costs will be high. Can 25% attendance, probably limited to seasons ticket holders plus students, cover the cost of opening up the Fetz? Will SLU decide to do it regardless of the possible loss?

What I am trying to say is that it can be done IF SLU decides that whatever loss is incurred per game is OK and will be taken as a necessary expense.

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

by the time hargrove graduates he might be both a 3 point guy and a slam dunk artist.  his ceiling is high high high.   

VeniceMenace likes this

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

Jimerson's threes are more productive.  Hargrove's ferocious dunks delight our inner bully.

Agreed on the three's productivity. But a high flying TJ dunk has the added productivity of leaving the opponent flat footed in aw, embarrassment and demoralization. 

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

Sounds like good news

Some more, somewhat important, information from Rothstein.  The first item we have been discussing. The second is somewhat of a surprise.

Additional games may also be added at a later date in an effort to give the programs in Orlando opportunities to expand their respective non-conference inventory.

Official dates and times will not be determined until the NCAA officially announces a start date for the 20-21 college basketball season on Wednesday.

I wonder if the dates of the Orlando Inv wind up getting changed.  The Champions Classic is now listed as being held in Orl when it had previously been scheduled for 11/10, I think in Chicago.  Also, Mich St is scheduled to be in both so it's possible they might have a tough game under their belts before the Orl Inv. if the C C kicks off the season, while the remaining Orl Inv teams might be going into that tournament as our/their opening games

If we're able to keep anything close to our originally planned schedule, I would be 100% fine with no fans at any games. I'd much rather have a TV/streaming-only full season than a partial one with like 25% attendance.

5 hours ago, slu72 said:

I like watching French dunk the most. Hargrove’s might embarrass you, Frenchs will have you cowering in fear. I like the power 

Compton likes this

6 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

TJ's speed may cause many old fashioned 3 opportunities. no one can stop him on a breakaway but may be fouled by defenders too slow to get out of his way :)

If it is decided that fans cannot attend games, I wonder if schools will look into offering special pay-per-view television packages for all home games.  I know that some would have ended up on free TV already, but putting games on advertising based television (whether it is free, cable, dish-based, streaming, etc.) doesn't bring much money in for the school.  A pay-per-view format might provide a bit of revenue.

Not saying its going to happen or if I like it or not.  Just wondering if they are considering it.

49 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

If it is decided that fans cannot attend games, I wonder if schools will look into offering special pay-per-view television packages for all home games.  I know that some would have ended up on free TV already, but putting games on advertising based television (whether it is free, cable, dish-based, streaming, etc.) doesn't bring much money in for the school.  A pay-per-view format might provide a bit of revenue.

Not saying its going to happen or if I like it or not.  Just wondering if they are considering it.

-have to pay the bills/Bills somehow

1 hour ago, slufan13 said:

This board has spent a lot of money paying Goodwin, French, etc. Will be hard to get me to fork up more cash but we'll see. I'm already out $1000 for Nesbitt and he hasn't even committed yet. I know others have spent a lot more than I have

The sad thing is that those sorry UI fans will read your post and think you are serious.  🙄

17 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

Networks aren’t going to let schools and conferences out of deals they have already signed.