2020-21 Season

3 minutes ago, jonny karate said:

How many dunks will Hargrove get?

https://instagram.com/stories/terrencehargrovejr/2395201636626575128?igshid=r7h1xynr7226

the last 2 putback slams on his story...oooooooh boy!

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone have any idea when NCAA might give schools the go ahead for full basketball practices? I believe at least some schools are already playing football games. So can’t be long ‘til basketball practices are cleared, can it?

BF5AA397-6752-423B-B7F4-5490AE4907B9.png

Just now, Reinert310 said:

Anyone have any idea when NCAA might give schools the go ahead for full basketball practices? I believe at least some schools are already playing football games. So can’t be long ‘til basketball practices are cleared, can it?

BF5AA397-6752-423B-B7F4-5490AE4907B9.png

used to be October 15th was always the first practice date allowed.    then they changed to always make it a Saturday, like second saturday of october because so many schools were having midnight madness and better to not be midweek.  then they were saying like 42 or 45 days before the first game which typically most schools first games are right before thanksgiving.   so even though i cant find an official date, i am sure it wont be at least till mid october.  

hmart23 likes this

4 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

used to be October 15th was always the first practice date allowed.    then they changed to always make it a Saturday, like second saturday of october because so many schools were having midnight madness and better to not be midweek.  then they were saying like 42 or 45 days before the first game which typically most schools first games are right before thanksgiving.   so even though i cant find an official date, i am sure it wont be at least till mid october.  

Out of reactions. Good post. Thanks Roy.

8 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

It's still 42 days before the official first game day. The first games were slated for 11/10, so that would mean most teams could start practicing in late September. However, with it looking like there will be a start date closer to Thanksgiving at the earliest, we'd be looking at mid-October on that timeline - again, subject to change.

18 minutes ago, Pistol said:

It's still 42 days before the official first game day. The first games were slated for 11/10, so that would mean most teams could start practicing in late September. However, with it looking like there will be a start date closer to Thanksgiving at the earliest, we'd be looking at mid-October on that timeline - again, subject to change.

-I'm guessing also subject to any restrictions in place by the City of StL

Anyone else feeling much better about the 2020-2021 season now that the college football just finished week 2, the NBA conference finals start tomorrow, the NFL just started, MLB is 2 weeks from the end of its "regular" season, boxing and UFC are back (albeit in bubbles), the Stanley Cup finals are next week, the US Open just finished, many European soccer leagues have now started their 2nd seasons while Covid is going on, etc, etc....?

There can always be setbacks, but sports are happening at this point. Despite losing 2020 A10 Tourney and March Madness, the timing for getting in fullish college basketball seasons pre and post outbreak might end up being alright. 

Went to UTEP at Texas Football on Saturday.  25% capacity is allowed at the games so that's approximately 25,000 people which seemed so sparse in the huge stadium.   Ticket holders were assigned a specific entry gate to limit mixing.   All concessions were open to limit waiting in line.  All students with tickets were Covid tested on Thursday in order to attend game (95 positive of 1,198 total).

So this has me thinking about SLU.  I'm not sure if they've completely decided against allowing spectators. But, if they did it could be done safely.   Perhaps for big games they have it in the dome to allow a greater crowd.  Indoors is  dicier than outdoors so maybe less capacity.   SLU could also test students prior.   They tested all students upon arrival to campus this Fall.

33 minutes ago, Compton said:

Anyone else feeling much better about the 2020-2021 season now that the college football just finished week 2, the NBA conference finals start tomorrow, the NFL just started, MLB is 2 weeks from the end of its "regular" season, boxing and UFC are back (albeit in bubbles), the Stanley Cup finals are next week, the US Open just finished, many European soccer leagues have now started their 2nd seasons while Covid is going on, etc, etc....?

There can always be setbacks, but sports are happening at this point. Despite losing 2020 A10 Tourney and March Madness, the timing for getting in fullish college basketball seasons pre and post outbreak might end up being alright. 

It felt great to watch NFL yesterday.  That said, they have all the resources to implement quick-result testing to ensure no one has it before they get on the field.  

Colleges simply do not have those resources and I am surprised that the situations with the football teams at Memphis and VA tech are not garnering more attention.  

Either it is a big deal that a healthy college student is "Covid Positive" or it isn't.  If Memphis and VA tech pick up their schedules in 2 weeks with no issues, that will give me a good feeling that sports are moving forward for good.  

SLU's decision to test a random asymptotic population to assess the situation seems not great, but I do not have a better solution.   With basketball teams only being 12 people, maybe the NFL's methodology is executable for D1 college basketball.  

24 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Went to UTEP at Texas Football on Saturday.  25% capacity is allowed at the games so that's approximately 25,000 people which seemed so sparse in the huge stadium.   Ticket holders were assigned a specific entry gate to limit mixing.   All concessions were open to limit waiting in line.  All students with tickets were Covid tested on Thursday in order to attend game (95 positive of 1,198 total).

So this has me thinking about SLU.  I'm not sure if they've completely decided against allowing spectators. But, if they did it could be done safely.   Perhaps for big games they have it in the dome to allow a greater crowd.  Indoors is  dicier than outdoors so maybe less capacity.   SLU could also test students prior.   They tested all students upon arrival to campus this Fall.

If we could fit a few games in at enterprise, Id be happy with that. 20% of enterprise is right at our average attendance of 4,400.  I think SLU will have a tough time with attendance given the average age of the fans. Its no secret that SLU has an older fan base, and with that, older people are less likely to attend during the outbreak.

A few items to keep in mind when thinking about the upcoming season:

This week a NCAA group will set a date for the earliest games can be played.  As of what we hear now that  date will be either Nov 25 or Dec 1.  In either case that means that the likelihood of the Bills having a full complement of games is not likely.  Last year we had played 6 home games by Nov 25, at least 4 of which would be considered buy games. Without unrestricted fan attendance there is no reason for schools like SLU to pay for buy game opponents.  After 11/28 we had 2 more buy games, Maryville and Beth.-Cook.

Making up 6 (or 8 )  buy games, starting the season not earlier than 11/25 with limits, or even prohibition, on fans attendance  ain't going to happen.  Whatever schedules have been developed can be fodder for the shredder.  I hope that at a minimum we can have the Orlando tournament and the S. D. St game, the latter of which I think falls into the not likely category.

Further complicating any attempts at having a normal season are any restrictions imposed by the City.

With Chaifetz sitting there vacant whenever necessary, SLU is not going to pay the Blues to rent the Enterprise Ctr., along with losing any game concession revenue just to get an extra 500 fans into a game.

With A 10 games starting in Jan.  I think the best we can hope for is around 26 games (18 A 10 and 8 OOC) prior to the Conference tournament, if that is even held.  As things stand now, I think the only given is that the NCAA and all its member schools absolutely need the 20-21 NCAA Tournament.  The revenue is essential to all concerned to fund at least a limited number of sports teams/scholarships at member schools.  That "given" will control most other decisions even to the point of delaying March Madness so that more games can be played prior to that Tournament.

Of all years for this to happen!!!  Not only is this the best Billiken team I can ever remember, it is also the last chance for JG, HF and JP to play as key members of Team Blue, and the last chance we get to watch them  My crystal ball sees 18-0 in the A 10 and at least a 6 seed in the NCAAs if that tournament follows the 68 team model.  (This assumes no key season-ending injuries.)

1 hour ago, TheA_Bomb said:

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

If we could fit a few games in at enterprise, Id be happy with that. 20% of enterprise is right at our average attendance of 4,400.  I think SLU will have a tough time with attendance given the average age of the fans. Its no secret that SLU has an older fan base, and with that, older people are less likely to attend during the outbreak.

I do not like the idea of the Billikens' playing home games outside of their home facility.

6 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I do not like the idea of the Billikens' playing home games outside of their home facility.

I do just for this exception though, not for any other season. as of now, it sounds like there will only be 2,200 allowed to games. 2,200 for what will likely be one of the best teams we've ever had = a tough ticket. 

20 minutes ago, bauman said:

A few items to keep in mind when thinking about the upcoming season:

This week a NCAA group will set a date for the earliest games can be played.  As of what we hear now that  date will be either Nov 25 or Dec 1.  In either case that means that the likelihood of the Bills having a full complement of games is not likely.  Last year we had played 6 home games by Nov 25, at least 4 of which would be considered buy games. Without unrestricted fan attendance there is no reason for schools like SLU to pay for buy game opponents.  After 11/28 we had 2 more buy games, Maryville and Beth.-Cook.

Last week the men's and women's oversight committees met and apparently will recommend a Nov 21 as the start date.  That dates allows several MTE's scheduled for Nov 24 to be played in full.  There are some tourney's scheduled to start Nov 19, so I guess they are OOL.  We will see what happens Wednesday.  Also reported that many conferences already have conference calls set up for Thursday to react to the new start date.  They will also propose guidelines for COVID testing, number of maximum and minimum games played in order to qualify for NCAA tourney, and non-conference quota recs.

I would think most schools have their eraser handy on rewriting their OOC schedules.

21 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I do just for this exception though, not for any other season. as of now, it sounds like there will only be 2,200 allowed to games. 2,200 for what will likely be one of the best teams we've ever had = a tough ticket. 

-so the U and the ADept are most likely losing money this academic year, are you seeing the idea of the cost of playing at Dome or Enterprise as a way to increase funds over the long run? or what is your idea on paying for it? the Dome is not a good basketball venue and I wonder if it still has a court

-one positive of playing in the Dome could be our guys shooting in such a building as preparation for Final Four in Indy

3 hours ago, wgstl said:

SLU's average attendance last year was 6,880. 

2 hours ago, wgstl said:

I never know what’s going on. Where does the 2200 number come from?

19 minutes ago, White Pelican said:

I never know what’s going on. Where does the 2200 number come from?

roughly 20% of the capacity of the fetz. currently in college football, schools are allowing 20-25% of fans in, so im going off of that. 

Just now, cheeseman said:

Well that may be the % they are using because they are outside.  When inside it may be even lower.

very possible.  Makes using the enterprise is possible even that more entertaining.