2020-21 Season

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

this kind of implies that we could end up playing Michigan State, Gonzaga, Auburn, and every other team in the tournament. Play the tournament, and then play the teams you didn’t play in the week or so after it ends. Interesting

I wouldn't assume that these tournaments are going to stick with the same teams/formats that were agreed upon a long time ago if the NCAA goes to a bubble mentality. I think it will be a free for all as schools try to position themselves for the best bubbles possible and it's hard to say whether that will help or hurt us. I do know we had a kick arse non-conference schedule lined up so it stinks that we may lose it. 

15 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

Don’t know what this means for Orlando. Maybe it doesn’t effect Orlando at all.

I like the idea. I hope the 32 teams are 32 of the top 50 or 100, and not a few teams like Alabama a&m 

4 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I like the idea. I hope the 32 teams are 32 of the top 50 or 100, and not a few teams like Alabama a&m 

Would networks submit bids to telecast these games? If so, I’d figure they wouldn’t invite lower mids. I wonder if bubble participants would receive some of these $$’s, as there won’t be a gate from ticket sales? Nice to see we were contacted. 

With these bubbles it sounds like teams will likely be playing several games in short period of time - a lot of back-to-back games like a typical tournament. So depth will be important which would certainly seem to play into one of SLU's strengths.

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

Would networks submit bids to telecast these games? If so, I’d figure they wouldn’t invite lower mids. I wonder if bubble participants would receive some of these $$’s, as there won’t be a gate from ticket sales? Nice to see we were contacted. 

1 hour ago, ACE said:

With these bubbles it sounds like teams will likely be playing several games in short period of time - a lot of back-to-back games like a typical tournament. So depth will be important which would certainly seem to play into one of SLU's strengths.

The interview that Stu linked answers most of these questions.  The interview was with the organizer of this event.  First, he is waiting for the NCAA to make their mid Sept decision as to when the season will start.  Yes, he has over 75 letters of interest out, which SLU apparently received.  He is targeting the obvious December window.

He mentioned either 20 or 32 teams.  The 20 model would have 2 groups of 10 playing among each other.  The 32 would have 4 groups of 8 playing.  He mentioned the games would be 4 against High Major, 2 against Mid Major and 2 against Low Major.  This pretty much says there would be a mix of teams.  (P6 schools don't want to play 8 games against other, non-conference P6 teams in OOC.  They want some easy games.) 

Teams would be charged an entry fee.  His comment was that since 'buy games' are likely not going to be played, that pool of money is what he is targeting as entry fees.  What he didn't say was what about those teams that receive the buy fee, those previously mentioned "low major" teams.  No way they would come up with a high entry fee.  I'm not sure how that works.

He mentioned two game floors with multiple practice floors and a weight room.  On off days, teams would practice and have scheduled time in the weight room.  He mentioned using a gym used by a G-League team as the main floor.

He did have comments on testing before and during the bubble.

And he did say he has had preliminary discussions with ESPN to cover the games.  The interview is about half an hour, but it provides an interesting bubble concept.

2 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Yep. We have BODIES, which is why I’m so bullish on our chance to make a deep run in the NCAA tourney.

Even more than that, all of our bodies can kill you in a different way. You can’t just pack it in to stop JGood and Has anymore. We can kill you at the rim. We can kill you from 12-15 feet. And we can kill you from deep. Oh, and we’re also a tenacious defensive team and one of the best offensive rebounding teams in the country. Game planning against SLU this year is gonna be a nightmare. Bring on all comers. We’ll play and beat anybody. 

22 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

Even more than that, all of our bodies can kill you in a different way. You can’t just pack it in to stop JGood and Has anymore. We can kill you at the rim. We can kill you from 12-15 feet. And we can kill you from deep. Oh, and we’re also a tenacious defensive team and one of the best offensive rebounding teams in the country. Game planning against SLU this year is gonna be a nightmare. Bring on all comers. We’ll play and beat anybody. 

Don't forget our fast breaks. We have the ability to put a lot of pressure on a team and exploit almost any weakness.

majerus mojo likes this

3 hours ago, Aquinas said:

Don't forget our fast breaks. We have the ability to put a lot of pressure on a team and exploit almost any weakness.

True. Remember a few years ago when our fast break ended in a turnover more often than not? Now we Yuri throwing half court alley oops for TJ to hammer home. Lol. This year is gonna be fun.

9 hours ago, Reinert310 said:

True. Remember a few years ago when our fast break ended in a turnover more often than not? Now we Yuri throwing half court alley oops for TJ to hammer home. Lol. This year is gonna be fun.

Fast breaks for us should be called TJ Time!

12 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Fast breaks for us should be called TJ Time!

And it's hard to forget the Yuri to JG to HF for the stuff play in the first half of the SBU game.  I think that was the best fast break of the year.