2020-21 Season

14 hours ago, Reinert310 said:

My question is: are they going to increase the number of scholarships a school can offer? They have to, right? Or future recruits would be F’ed. I’m really interested in the logistics of these plans. 

I think they have to make some provision for this but the how will be interesting. Will the increase in scholarships be the same number for all programs or will the increase be based on the number of seniors opting for another year of eligibility? Either way it's going to be a lot more work for the NCAA Eligibility Center. 

TheChosenOne likes this

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, MichaelC said:

I think they have to make some provision for this but the how will be interesting. Will the increase in scholarships be the same number for all programs or will the increase be based on the number of seniors opting for another year of eligibility? Either way it's going to be a lot more work for the NCAA Eligibility Center. 

im betting the ncaa will not take the committee's recommendation and agree to this.  it will bring up too many other problems imo.  

TheChosenOne and SLU_Lax like this

On 8/20/2020 at 9:17 AM, billiken_roy said:

im betting the ncaa will not take the committee's recommendation and agree to this.  it will bring up too many other problems imo.  

So it appears that not only did the ncaa take the committee's recommendation they actually expanded upon it, granting not only an extra year of eligibility but also an additional year in which to completed the extra year. Folks in the NCAA eligibility office are going to have a lot of fun sorting thru this. 

They also addressed the issue of expanded scholarships:

Granting an extra year of eligibility could bring plenty of complications for schools, however. The NCAA's announcement said seniors student-athletes who take advantage of the additional year of eligibility will not count against team scholarship limits in 2021-22. But even with temporarily-expanded scholarship limits, athletic departments dealing with significant budget shortfalls may not be in position to spend more on athletic scholarships.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/ncaa-approves-blanket-waiver-for-2020-fall-sports-athletes-to-retain-year-of-eligibility/

TheChosenOne likes this

26 minutes ago, Aquinas said:

Imagine the numbers Jimmmerson can put up in 5.5 years of shooting 3s.

The human race has not yet developed the mathematical principles that would be necessary to fully comprehend numbers so large!

Just now, Reinert310 said:

The human race has not yet developed the mathematical principles that would be necessary to fully comprehend numbers so large!

That’s why they’ve always limited eligibility to 4 years. There was a prophecy that one day a sniper would come along that would be such an otherworldly perimeter shooter, he would shatter the study of mathematics as we know it. That sniper is Gibson Jimerson!

TheChosenOne and SLU_Lax like this

Here's an interesting thought which is based upon the Rothstein tweet above.  What if the NCAA decided that if you are scheduled to be in an OOC tournament, this becomes your OOC bubble.  Arrangements have already  been made.   Games within the tournament could be added.  If that happened, I think it would be a great development for us given the level of the teams on the list for the Orlando tournament.

The NCAA could, possibly, come to this conclusion as a much simpler way of dealing with the OOC schedule.  Then, it would only have to deal with finding games for teams that were not already schedule for such a tournament.  I would think this would simplify the seemingly monumental task greatly.

18 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Here's an interesting thought which is based upon the Rothstein tweet above.  What if the NCAA decided that if you are scheduled to be in an OOC tournament, this becomes you OOC bubble.  Arrangements have already  been made.   Games within the tournament could be added.  If that happened, I think it would be a great development for us given the level of the teams on the list for the Orlando tournament.

The NCAA could, possibly, come to this conclusion as a much simpler way of dealing with the OOC schedule.  Then, it would only have to deal with finding games for teams that were not already schedule for such a tournament.  I would think this would simplify the seemingly monumental task greatly.

This is kind of what I was thinking. You have 8 teams in Orlando. You could stay a week or two and get 5 to 7 games in against those in Orlando.  The Bills OOC schedule as we now know it just isn’t going to fully happen. 

cgeldmacher likes this

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

This is kind of what I was thinking. You have 8 teams in Orlando. You could stay a week or two and get 5 to 7 games in against those in Orlando.  The Bills OOC schedule as we now know it just isn’t going to fully happen. 

Heck, why limit it to 5-7 games?  Take the 3 weeks from after Thanksgiving to before Christmas when classes aren't happening anyways.  Play a "home and home" versus all of the other schools for a total of 14 games over 4ish weeks (27 days) from Nov 27 through December 23.   Quarantine / off from then until after New Years and then conference play starts up.

willie likes this

27 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Heck, why limit it to 5-7 games?  Take the 3 weeks from after Thanksgiving to before Christmas when classes aren't happening anyways.  Play a "home and home" versus all of the other schools for a total of 14 games over 4ish weeks (27 days) from Nov 27 through December 23.   Quarantine / off from then until after New Years and then conference play starts up.

Well that would be one way of doing it. 

Several island based tourney's have already been moved back to the mainland.  Don't know if any have been moved close to Orlando and/or in the same time frame, but with a little coordination, you may be able to get 16 or so teams in one bubble.  

2 hours ago, Aquinas said:

That would pick up a significant number of the upper half or top third of div 1 teams.  Probably not do so much for the bottom half.  I'm not sure how many bottom half or bottom third teams do fall tournaments?

There are close to 50 fall MTE's and/or non-exempt tourney's.  Some have 8 and some have 4 teams.  If you arbitrarily use 6 entrants, that is 300 teams.  

Below was before the PAC 12 pulled the plug on 2020 games:

Teams not tied into an event:

A10 (1/14): Saint Joseph’s

Pac-12 (1/12): Washington  (now 12/12)

WCC (2/10): Pacific, San Diego

Fully committed;  American, ACC, Big 12, Big East, Big Ten, MW and SEC.

5 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Well that would be one way of doing it. 

Several island based tourney's have already been moved back to the mainland.  Don't know if any have been moved close to Orlando and/or in the same time frame, but with a little coordination, you may be able to get 16 or so teams in one bubble.  

Disney/ESPN can move all the tournaments they run to Orlando.  Have the tournaments run on their schedule weeks between Thanksgiving and NY while having the other teams in the bubble not playing in a tournament that week play each other in OOC games.  Teams stay for a month and half in the WDW bubble for their whole OOC schedule.

33 minutes ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

this kind of implies that we could end up playing Michigan State, Gonzaga, Auburn, and every other team in the tournament. Play the tournament, and then play the teams you didn’t play in the week or so after it ends. Interesting

So theoretically our non conference schedule could end up being even better than anticipated

2 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

So theoretically our non conference schedule could end up being even better than anticipated

Well for starters, we might be substituting three of Xavier, Michigan State, Gonzaga or Auburn (we would play one of these already in the tourney) and subtracting Minnesota, Boston College and Memphis. We already have Sienna on our OOC, but maybe add Belmont and Boise State through the Orlando bubble.  Toss out SEMO and TN State. 

I'm betting on the OOC schedule, as we now know it, being torn up.   Hopefully these buy games have some form of opt out clause.  Per the D1 Docket website, only 18 of 357 schools have released their full non-conference schedule so far.  I'm interested in seeing if/how the MWC-A10 Challenge survives.  Might it be pushed back a year?