2020-21 Season

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, TheOne said:

Listen closely in the podcast after discussing that we will go away to a B10 school.  Coach slips at around 12:45 — “these are all the big sounding teams, the San Diego State, the Memphis, the Minnesota, Boston College, we’ve got Siena...” 

Yep, caught that and put it in my summary.

Minnesota would be a fun road trip. Great old barn, fun city. Brutally cold by that time of year but who cares.

I liked the mention of Coach seeing Jimmy Bell running the track while dribbling a basketball. I’d like to see that. 

Both Rothstein and Ford state their confidence that there will be an NCAA tourney this season, they don’t know how it will be selected or when it will be played. 

2 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Minnesota would be a fun road trip. Great old barn, fun city. Brutally cold by that time of year but who cares.

SLU and Minnesota have a little bit of history too, so that's fun.

SLU lost to them in the 2003 NIT 1st round (Marque Perry's senior year) and the 1996 NIT 1st round (year after Claggs, Highmark, & H when we were led by Harris & Jamal Johnson).

SLU beat them in the 1995 NCAA 1st round before Tim Duncan / Wake ended the careers of Claggs, etc.

Pistol likes this

Just checked Minnesota's board, and they too talking about SLU being on the schedule, apparently this info was mentioned 2 weeks ago when talking with pitino: 

"In December, the Gophers are playing in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge (no opponent announced) on the road. They also have home games vs. Mississippi State, Fort Wayne, North Dakota and likely St. Louis (game still being finalized). Two early December conference games also haven’t been announced by the Big Ten. The uncertainty surrounding COVID-19 is a good reason for waiting to release the schedule."

So cherry picking a few items from that interview and adding a few other facts:

-French and Goodwin return as double-digit rebounders.
-Perkins added 20 lbs.
-Bell is down to 275 lbs. with way more muscle.
-Thatch is back and 100% cleared to play.
-Hargrove has bounce.
-Jimerson is big for his position.
-Collins averaged 2.8 RPG last year and is stronger and more experienced.

GOOD LUCK getting a rebound against this team.

2 hours ago, slu72 said:

USA Today Just reported B10 will cancel FB this fall. With the experts saying the virus will likely get worse in the fall, I’m not surprised. I’m really having doubts about seeing a BB season in November. 

Can you please fearmonger in the COVID thread ? Good grief.  <C&P

:):):) just goofing I totally agree and saying such rubs some the wrong way it seems.

billikenbill likes this

The Gophers Man among Boys last season (20/11), Daniel Oturu, remained in the NBA draft.  Their PG Carr returned to the U.  Their other starting guard also returns.  So yes, they will be their usual physical team, they won't be as imposing inside as last season when Oturu manned the paint. A key may be if Drake transfer Roberts gets a waiver.  His inside presence would help the Gophers significantly.

This game likely sums up the away OOC.  One to three more home games, buys?, with one rumored to be a DII. (Reason is that a DII buy is cheaper than a D1 buy.)  Yeah, Coach did slip Northern Illinois in there too.

Just listened to the podcast with Rothstein and around the 13 minute mark, Travis, threw in 2 games which have not been officially announced.  I'm not sure if he meant to but he mentioned Minnesota and Northern Illinois, along with BC, Siena, @ Memphis, and S D St.  He did not mention the Orlando Tournament.  Coach said that if the OOC schedules get cancelled for everyone, that the NCAA selectors would need a different criteria to pick the field.  Lots of discussion about the A 10 being better than a 1 bid conference

JR obviously knows quite a bit about the Bills as he steered Travis back to some items that needed to be addressed.

Positive mentions by Coach Ford about our 3 seniors, GJ,  FT Jr, Yuri, Terrance, Jimmy and in discussing the bench, I found it interesting that he mentioned D Jacobs.  No mention of our 3 new players.

Finally, Travis mentioned that he was getting close to hiring a replacement for Coach Bailey, and that it was important that any new coach fit in with the existing staff and the skills they possess.

EDIT:  Sorry, I didn't realize as I was listening to the podcast that some of my comments were already included in other posts

Edited by bauman

40 minutes ago, TheOne said:

Listen closely in the podcast after discussing that we will go away to a B10 school.  Coach slips at around 12:45 — “these are all the big sounding teams, the San Diego State, the Memphis, the Minnesota, Boston College, we’ve got Siena...” 

I caught that slip. At first he just said a Big 10 school. Then about 2 minutes later he added Minnesota to the BC and S.D. State games. 
Lots of praise for our 3 SRs, especially Javonte. Also, made it sound like Fred’s medical difficulties are behind him totally. That’s great news as we need a stopper at the Guard position. 
He thinks we can have an OOC schedule even if we start in Jan and extend thru May. We need it. Good listen for sure. He sounds really high on this team. 

rgbilliken likes this

36 minutes ago, almaman said:

Can you please fearmonger in the COVID thread ? Good grief.   &p<>

:):):) just goofing I totally agree and saying such rubs some the wrong way it seems.

We all know it already. At least I think we all do. Is there anyone not aware of the pandemic and it's potential impact on the CBB season? If so please speak up, so we can clue you in. Then we will all know and there will no longer be a need for anyone to mention the season could possibly not be played. 

Seriously, we know but we'd still like to just discuss college basketball as if the season is going on as normal. That's what Coach Ford said the team was doing, so why can't we discuss it without someone reminding us. We didn't forget

Quality Is Job 1 and bauman like this

Minnesota finished 15-16 last year and lost their best player, Daniel Oturu, to the NBA Draft.  College Sports Madness predicts a 12th place Big 10 finish for them, which sounds about right.  Any Top 135 team on the nonconference schedule is a good get, IMO.  That's a potential Quad 2 win if played on the road.

https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/18641

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

That would be a fun trip. STL -> MSP is a quick and cheap flight. It really is a great place to visit.  If winters weren't so brutally depressing  there they'd have twice the population (slight exaggeration). They also have a surprisingly large number of rooftop bars and restaurants, especially when compared to STL, despite the fact that it's cold half the year and can blizzard in late April. STL needs to up its rooftop game.

2 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

That would be a fun trip. STL -> MSP is a quick and cheap flight. It really is a great place to visit.  If winters weren't so brutally depressing  there they'd have twice the population (slight exaggeration). They also have a surprisingly large number of rooftop bars and restaurants, especially when compared to STL, despite the fact that it's cold half the year and can blizzard in late April. STL needs to up its rooftop game.

Memphis and Minnesota both look like good options - and that's not counting Orlando.

Just now, Reinert310 said:

Also, according to another Stu tweet, the Minnesota game has been in the works for months, but nobody talked about it because the contract wasn’t finalized yet.

6 minutes ago, hmart23 said:

Maybe I'm missing it but I actually don't know what this tweet means. 

We’re playing Sienna as a part of the Orlando tourney, we’re just playing them at Chaifetz instead if in Orlando.