2020-21 Season

13 hours ago, billikenbill said:

Next dominos are falling. Looks like no fall college sports. This was inevitable. No way college hoops starts before Jan. 1 and that season is in serious jeopardy.

It wasn't inevitable at all. It was the result of large decisions and failures to act, and hundreds of thousands of small decisions. Parents will feel safe sending their kids to schools like SLU when almost nobody in the area has the virus. People can't even get onboard about masks. 

Look at what a mess baseball is in. And look at Colorado St. football. NBA basketball at least came up with a plan. Meanwhile, the NCAA just sort of hoped it would go away. It's just magical thinking. 

A kid that my kids play with was exposed to the virus. He found out last Monday and got tested on Thursday. We won't find out the results until.... Tuesday? Wednesday? Even though there's the technology to find out in 15 minutes? What a joke. 

In this environment, college presidents don't want to face questions about why the, say, Temple football team needed to practice, and had 45 kids test positive. Mostly African-American kids. What was it for, if it's going to get shut down anyway? 

At least the professional players are stakeholders with millions to gain or lose by playing. The public views amateur athletics differently. Millions of people made bad decisions from April-now that kept the virus alive and growing. We collectively effed up the beginning of school, and now fall sports, and probably winter sports. Other, much more densely populated countries did much better because we believe in magic. 

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

59 minutes ago, dlarry said:

Nice!

If I was betting i would go Northwestern.

Maybe OSU? Turn it into a home and home to give Liddell a “home game” as a senior.

If I got to pick I would go Michigan or Indiana. 

Im pretty confident it wont be Illinois.  I could see Iowa since they like recruiting St Louis

6 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Im pretty confident it wont be Illinois.  I could see Iowa since they like recruiting St Louis

Just throwing ideas out there, but Maryland would be a fun game. I wouldn’t mind beating up on Nebraska, since I believe they also made Nesbitt’s top-11.

3 hours ago, SLU_Nick said:

The Big 10 is rumored to be cancelling football this week.  I wouldn't say, "this was inevitable".  It just makes me sad.  

While that's concerning, it's encouraging to remember that the logistics and costs of traveling and isolating a P5 football program are on a completely scale than a basketball program. 

One could see SLU traveling as 20 people or less (sorry walk-ons, injured guys and water bottle jockeys). A P5 football team might be 7 times that or more.

11 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

Updated today, Joey Brackets now has us as a 10-seed in the west playing Indiana. He has Richmond as an 8-seed in the east playing UConn.

http://m.espn.com/ncb/bracketology?iteration=41®ion=4&year=2021

Sometimes I hate how that works.  Just looking at the bracket, Id rather be a 11, 12, or 13 seed than a 7,8 or 9

1 hour ago, Crewsorlose said:

Meanwhile, the NCAA just sort of hoped it would go away. It's just magical thinking. 

Honestly, I am not sure I overly fault that approach. With the scale (number of programs) and these being amateur athletes, I have no clue what the solution looks like.

42 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

Just throwing ideas out there, but Maryland would be a fun game. I wouldn’t mind beating up on Nebraska, since I believe they also made Nesbitt’s top-11.

I think it'll definitely be Nebraska or Northewestern - similar to games we've had the last couple years, like @BC. Teams who just aren't great but are bigger names.

Reinert310 likes this

Just now, Littlebill said:

I think it'll definitely be Nebraska or Northewestern - similar to games we've had the last couple years, like @BC. Teams who just aren't great but are bigger names.

Yup. Imagine the least exciting name and prepare for that. If somehow it's different than great. But not likely.

31 minutes ago, Compton said:

While that's concerning, it's encouraging to remember that the logistics and costs of traveling and isolating a P5 football program are on a completely scale than a basketball program. 

One could see SLU traveling as 20 people or less (sorry walk-ons, injured guys and water bottle jockeys). A P5 football team might be 7 times that or more.

I am struggling big time to see how this works. We are talking about 350 Division I basketball programs traveling the country, still not sure how that happens absent the virus essentially going away.

7 minutes ago, kshoe said:

Yup. Imagine the least exciting name and prepare for that. If somehow it's different than great. But not likely.

True

Luckily the least exciting name in the Big 10 is still a decent get.

6 minutes ago, SShoe said:

Given the pandemic, all schools should be looking for games vs. non-conference opponents that are within a short drive.  Bring on the Illini!

I would be cool with a non-conference that consisted of all the boarding state schools.

Won’t happen but would be pretty awesome.

Give Ford and staff credit for putting together an excellent non-conference schedule. Unfortunately, I'm afraid we won't get to see it played. Best case scenario could be for conferences to set up weekend events in one location (Friday thru Sunday) each team plays two conference games. Everybody would have to be tested before entering this mini-bubble. Not sure if it is even feasible, but it would cut down on travel. 

24 minutes ago, ACE said:

Give Ford and staff credit for putting together an excellent non-conference schedule. Unfortunately, I'm afraid we won't get to see it played. Best case scenario could be for conferences to set up weekend events in one location (Friday thru Sunday) each team plays two conference games. Everybody would have to be tested before entering this mini-bubble. Not sure if it is even feasible, but it would cut down on travel. 

Our best roster potentially ever and one of our best schedules ever... and it’s likely to be disrupted/destroyed by a f****** global pandemic.  A year ago, I’d have had global pandemic at about 859th on a list of things most likely to ruin our season. 

11 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Have you made a basketball related post since joining? 7 posts and I'm pretty sure all 7 are just crying to the refs. Play by your own rules, at least.

Yep, clearly a troll from his 1st post. Pathetic that some folks lap it up and give him likes.

21 minutes ago, TheOne said:

@Minnesota 🤔

Listen closely in the podcast after discussing that we will go away to a B10 school.  Coach slips at around 12:45 — “these are all the big sounding teams, the San Diego State, the Memphis, the Minnesota, Boston College, we’ve got Siena...” 

Pistol likes this