2020-21 Season

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Bills_06 said:

Has there been any update on season ticket renewal or have I just not gotten mine?  I received an email in early June that they would be sent out in mid-July this year but nothing so far.  

They sent out another email the other day that they will be providing an update in the middle of August.

30 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

The first domino falls, UConn has cancelled it’s football season.

No surprise there. They’re an independent now. Also, I‘d bet UConn wishes they’d never heard the words, Big Time College FB. 

42 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

The first domino falls, UConn has cancelled it’s football season.

UConn didn't have a choice.  With conferences going to conference only schedules, as an independent they weren't going to have anyone to play.  At the most they were looking at a three game schedule. They don't have the ACC as a fallback like Notre Dame.

8 minutes ago, slu72 said:

No surprise there. They’re an independent now. Also, I‘d bet UConn wishes they’d never heard the words, Big Time College FB. 

The Football indies are f-ed with everyone going conference only.  Looks like BYU is going to need to play Liberty about 6 times this year and UCONN isn't about to go slumming.....

Late post......didn't realize BYU had already cancelled....

Football independents just need to make a deal with a conference.  B12 would probably take BYU and UCONN to round out their schedules this year.  There's already speculation in the media on those deals.

One of the best Billiken teams since I've been a fan.  Really really hoping it's deemed safe enough to have a season.

My prediction for this year is the season starts in January. As one pundit pointed out the NCAA gave up $375mm last year due to cancellation of the dance. They can't afford to do that again. That would amount to a combined loss of 3/4 of a billion. That's a huge hit. One Caveat, FB will dictate what happens. If they get into the season and players start contracting the disease, the schools and conferences will probably shut it down. The NCAA has little to do with FB, but they will likely follow FB's lead.   

If BB starts in January, I don't see why they would not extend the season into May or even early June. If they do this they could even have full OOC scheds, but it would be left to the schools/conferences to determine if they want to play OOC games. Also, I would see them give conferences the option of calling off the season if they so desire. Not sure about the bubble concept for College ball. Who's going to build the bubbles, or are they going to use existing facilities? For example, it wouldn't seem fair to say the Big10 bubble is going to be at Ohio St or Nation Wide Arena in Columbus. 

Lot to consider with few options. Going to be interesting. 

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

My prediction for this year is the season starts in January. As one pundit pointed out the NCAA gave up $375mm last year due to cancellation of the dance. They can't afford to do that again. That would amount to a combined loss of 3/4 of a billion. That's a huge hit. One Caveat, FB will dictate what happens. If they get into the season and players start contracting the disease, the schools and conferences will probably shut it down. The NCAA has little to do with FB, but they will likely follow FB's lead.   

If BB starts in January, I don't see why they would not extend the season into May or even early June. If they do this they could even have full OOC scheds, but it would be left to the schools/conferences to determine if they want to play OOC games. Also, I would see them give conferences the option of calling off the season if they so desire. Not sure about the bubble concept for College ball. Who's going to build the bubbles, or are they going to use existing facilities? For example, it wouldn't seem fair to say the Big10 bubble is going to be at Ohio St or Nation Wide Arena in Columbus. 

Lot to consider with few options. Going to be interesting. 

I don't think seasons will be extended into May and June.  ESPN and CBS need their programing in the months the season is normally played. So they are either going to find a way to play the season during what would be the normal scheduled time or they won't have a season.  CBS isn't going to jump on board with paying their rights fees for a March Madness that will be scheduled to go up against the NBA playoffs.

I think the basketball season will end up shaping up much like the college football season with a distinct exception.  I think we are probably looking at conference only schedules except for certain exempt game tournaments.  I think ESPN will try to put on their exempt tournaments.  They will probably move all the ones not already scheduled for Orlando to Orlando and then recreate their NBA bubble to host the tournaments.

18 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I don't think seasons will be extended into May and June.  ESPN and CBS need their programing in the months the season is normally played. So they are either going to find a way to play the season during what would be the normal scheduled time or they won't have a season.  CBS isn't going to jump on board with paying their rights fees for a March Madness that will be scheduled to go up against the NBA playoffs.

I think the basketball season will end up shaping up much like the college football season with a distinct exception.  I think we are probably looking at conference only schedules except for certain exempt game tournaments.  I think ESPN will try to put on their exempt tournaments.  They will probably move all the ones not already scheduled for Orlando to Orlando and then recreate their NBA bubble to host the tournaments.

But will the NBA playoffs actually happen in April - June? Given how late this season is going, I could see the NBA basically taking off until mid-December and then starting fresh with a new schedule that is designed to play the playoffs in June - August. There are just so many unknown dominoes out there.

Crewsorlose likes this

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

Given how well MLB is handling the pandemic, ESPN might need all the programming it can get come May-June.

Especially if as kshoe pointed out the NBA playoffs may very well be pushed too.

On 8/6/2020 at 11:52 AM, Cowboy said:

-while there are players about the same age in the NBA and NHL bubbles, I am doubtful how a bubble would work with college kids

I think it would be even easier for college kids to adapt to the bubble.

-Online classes makes it easier

-A lot of them only communicate with their parents via Skype during the season anyway.

-They don’t have children or a wife they need to go see.

-College aged kids will be pretty content playing video games, cards, board games, with their teammates in the bubble.

-They are already living in college housing so dorm style living won’t bother them

-They don’t have the invincible mindset as bad as pro athletes

As long as classes are going to be online I think a college bubble would work great.

Pick a spot for each conference, quarantine the teams in a dorm or hotel, play twice a week.

Im not sure how a non conference schedule would work but you could add more conference games.

cgeldmacher likes this

Next dominos are falling. Looks like no fall college sports. This was inevitable. No way college hoops starts before Jan. 1 and that season is in serious jeopardy.

11 hours ago, billikenbill said:

Next dominos are falling. Looks like no fall college sports. This was inevitable. No way college hoops starts before Jan. 1 and that season is in serious jeopardy.

The Big 10 is rumored to be cancelling football this week.  I wouldn't say, "this was inevitable".  It just makes me sad.  

One thing I don't understand about messages like this....Why such the gleeful tone?  Don't we all have a common goal that we want to see Sports come back successfully as soon as possible?  I do not understand people who were sports fans in 2019 suddenly shift to being a fan of cancelled seasons and stumping for an end to amateurism for NCAA athletes.  

1 hour ago, SLU_Nick said:

The Big 10 is rumored to be cancelling football this week.  I wouldn't say, "this was inevitable".  It just makes me sad.  

One thing I don't understand about messages like this....Why such the gleeful tone?  Don't we all have a common goal that we want to see Sports come back successfully as soon as possible?  I do not understand people who were sports fans in 2019 suddenly shift to being a fan of cancelled seasons and stumping for an end to amateurism for NCAA athletes.  

It seems to me that the Big 10 is trying to almost guilt the other conferences into the delaying the start of the season by playing the media that it is inevitable.  The quotes from people inside the SEC, Big 12, ACC and Notre Dame make it seem like they aren't necessarily onboard with a delay at this point.  

My guess is those conferences and ESPN still want the season to start in the fall.  The Big 10 and the PAC 12 likely have Fox onboard with their plan to shift the season.  I don't necessarily think it is inevitable at this point, but the Big 10 is controlling this at the PR level to this point.  

Just now, brianstl said:

It seems to me that the Big 10 is trying to almost guilt the other conferences into the delaying the start of the season by playing the media that it is inevitable.  The quotes from people inside the SEC, Big 12, ACC and Notre Dame make it seem like they aren't necessarily onboard with a delay at this point.  

My guess is those conferences and ESPN still want the season to start in the fall.  The Big 10 and the PAC 12 likely have Fox onboard with their plan to shift the season.  I don't necessarily think it is inevitable at this point, but the Big 10 is controlling this at the PR level to this point.  

Thanks for the reasoned post Brian.  The SEC in particular seems like it really is going to push for the season to start on time.  

I know that Golf might not be people's thing but the PGA championship was fantastic yesterday. I even hit a monster score with Morikowa at 25/1.  

It is funny how live exciting sports on TV just makes my life more enjoyable.  I am rooting that the NCAA leadership finds a way for football and basketball seasons to go forward.  

brianstl and cgeldmacher like this