Javon Bess on ESPN

1 hour ago, thetorch said:

Willie Reed was eliminated a couple rounds ago.

Only 3 teams left

Overseas elite led by Joe Johnson beat the Red Scare (Dayton Alumni) today.  Overseas has Raphaele Putney from UMass on their team.  Red Scare had Devin Oliver, Ryan Mikesell, Trey Landers on the team.

Golden Eagles and Sideline Cancer are playing now.  Sideline Cancer has Four Mcglynn, Mo Creek, and Dion Wright, all former A-10 players.  Golden Ealges are all Marquette alums.  Former Tool Travis Diener plays for them.

Rad Scare lost to Golden Eagles. Overseas Elite is playing Sideline Cancer right now on ESPN.

21 hours ago, thetorch said:

Former Tool Travis Diener plays for them.

When I first read his name, my mind immediately went to him killing us seemingly every time we played Marquette. 

Then I thought about how he played with D Wade and Fisher always shut D Wade down. 

Then I thought about how D Wade retired recently. 

Then I thought wait a minute, Diener and Wade should be the same age or thereabouts. 

Then I googled it, saw Diener is 38 and thought "damn that seems kind of old for a guy to be playing in this."

Then I felt old myself for remembering all of the above.

Reinert310 likes this

4 hours ago, almaman said:

How old is is Joe Johnson?

38 going on 39.

For reference he was the 10 overall pick in the 01 draft. Mo Jeffers was the 55th pick in that draft. Rodney White from Charlotte was taken one pick ahead of him. 

I watched that game and the Marquette team managed that tournament perfectly.  They saved Travis' legs till the final and he looked fresher than the other younger guys coming down the stretch.  When they kicked it to him in the corner for the wide open 3....there was no doubt in my mind that it was buried.  I've seen him hit too many of those at the billiken's expense.  

47 minutes ago, SLU_Nick said:

I watched that game and the Marquette team managed that tournament perfectly.  They saved Travis' legs till the final and he looked fresher than the other younger guys coming down the stretch.  When they kicked it to him in the corner for the wide open 3....there was no doubt in my mind that it was buried.  I've seen him hit too many of those at the billiken's expense.  

They did they same thing last year, bringing him in for the semis. 

18 hours ago, SLU_Nick said:

https://twitter.com/DienerTravis/status/1283591540628164610?s=19

I laughed at the tweet.

They were well organized, Joe Chapman (coach) Dan Fitzgerald (GM) and were able to get mostly school alums the last few years to play in it. The few non-alums were Milwaukee guys. 

Diener played less because he wasn't in as good of shape as a few of the other years. Neither was Jerel McNeal last year when they lost by a bucket in the finals. This waa the first year they could get Darius Johnson Odom to play (MVP) ....but Jamil Wilson, MO Acker, Dwight Buycks, and some others have been staples. Derrick Wilson guards the opposing team's best player (held Keefe to 3 in the finals) but Chapman had good in bounds plays, D and O sets. They still don't get everyone on their wish list to play.

One thing to look for are future SLU recruits possibilities Men/Women as Chapman now has an Basketball Academy and AAU teams in Milwaukee and Chicago. Some of his players are from Kwamain Mitchell's neighborhood.

Overseas Elite had a great run for years using a wide mix of talented overseas guys. So there are different ways to do it.

Diener tried a non-travel coaching position at Marquette a few years ago but he didn't like recruiting. So he went back for another Italian League season.