Top 144 is back

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

42 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

You're not calling me out.  It's just Billiken banter which is what this site is for.

I agree with you.  I expect us to be better all around.  I just have this annual thing around this time of year when I get upset at the folks who go overboard with their expectations.  Doesn't matter the position our team is in, this momentum starts to build to place this unreasonable expectation on our team.  This year that sentiment is more warranted than others.  However, someone saying that it would be a disappointment if we are not a 4th seed or better only serves to set up the disappointment that a person is hoping not to have.

I think it is much better to be hopeful that your team will have a good year, and not draw a line in the sand.  Then sit back and enjoy what your team accomplishes.

Sorry that my expectations upset you. My expectations have nothing to do with the teams actual performance, at least I don't think they do. 

I go into every game not just wanting or hoping we will win, but believing it. My disappointment wouldn't be less just because I thought we could lose this one. I'm equally disappointed every time we lose. 

Maybe if I just think we could lose every game, I'll never really be disappointed. 

I honestly believe at the end of the year this year we were one of the top 30-40 teams in the country. We've added Jimerson, an accomplished big, plus a potentially starting caliber player in Thatch. Plus I believe Yuri, TJ, and Bell will make big jumps this year. Yep, I think top 16 is possible and even likely, so I'm not sure why I would try and convince myself otherwise just to temper my disappointment. We literally have 7 or 8 guys that could start on any Billiken team I've ever watched including the Majerus tourney teams and 10 guys that would be in the top 6 or 7. 

Don't cheat yourself jump in the waters is nice

Billiken Rich likes this

18 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

Just need to stay healthy......covid and otherwise........

Just sayin'. 

Entering into week 5 of NCAA football, there have been 24 games canceled or postponed due to the virus.  There is an additional list, of who knows how many games, where a team played with shortened rosters.  It will effect basketball.  It's huge wildcard out there that isn't going away anytime soon.

46 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Just sayin'. 

Entering into week 5 of NCAA football, there have been 24 games canceled or postponed due to the virus.  There is an additional list, of who knows how many games, where a team played with shortened rosters.  It will effect basketball.  It's huge wildcard out there that isn't going away anytime soon.

Wonder if any teams take a page from LSU football, have everyone get the virus early, go back to practice full time. 

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

Just sayin'. 

Keep in mind, football teams have A LOT MORE people involved than basketball teams. A lot harder to control. It definitely is a huge wild card, just not sure it’s quite apples to apples with basketball.

2 hours ago, Cowboy said:

-let's also hope our guys don't have the dreaded sophomore slump, I don't think they will 

I don’t know if this means anything, but I follow most of the guys on Instagram, and TJ posts his shots with the rebounding machine almost every day and is almost always over 50%. Not sure where he’s shooting from, and obviously a bit different in game situations, but I can confirm that he’s putting in the work. I’m excited to see how much progress he makes this year.

I was at the Davidson game and can’t tell you frustrated I became as DU didn’t show any respect for our outside game. It was just clog the inside. If we’d had Jimerson that tactic would never have played out the way it did. And Perkins got us back into it in the 2nd half too late however. 

1 hour ago, Reinert310 said:

I don’t know if this means anything, but I follow most of the guys on Instagram, and TJ posts his shots with the rebounding machine almost every day and is almost always over 50%. Not sure where he’s shooting from, and obviously a bit different in game situations, but I can confirm that he’s putting in the work. I’m excited to see how much progress he makes this year.

Hargrove playing horse.

1 hour ago, Reinert310 said:

FWIW that’s relatively low for a D1 basketball player shooting uncontested. Hopefully the hard work pays off for TJ.

2 hours ago, BilliesBy40 said:

FWIW that’s relatively low for a D1 basketball player shooting uncontested. Hopefully the hard work pays off for TJ.

It’s not low when you’re shooting 600 shots! Go look at his Instagram posts. He’s shooting 55% on hundreds and hundreds of shots. I’m not talking about making 5 out of 10. He’s shooting AT LEAST 500 shots every single night and shooting over 50%. I’m not saying TJ is suddenly going to turn into Steph Curry, but 55% on 600 shots, contested or not, is a pretty good percentage.

2 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Guys who shoot 35% from three in games typically shoot around 60% in practice drills.

On 600 shots? And 50% was me rounding down. He’s really hitting more like 55% and how good is this team going to be if TJ is hitting anywhere near 35% from 3 in games?

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

A D-1 coach told me this about a decade ago.

Just my opinion but I think he was shooting from the hip. I can tell you I have experience that doesn't agree with a 25% jump from game play to uncontested. I have given shooting lessons and kept stats from players through HS and a couple of kids that played in college (non D1) would bet the number is less. My experience would tell me not many kids shoot 60% even uncontested. I've kept stats and worked with one kid in particular from 8th grade through his frosh year in college. He shot 50% from 3 as a Sr at a good HS.  He could probably stand around and shoot 3's with any Billiken on the roster possibly even Jimerson. He was just a 5'9" slow unathletic couldn't jump at all guard. He only played college ball at all because he could shoot. He couldn't consistently hit 60% in drills. 

Guys who shoot 35% from three in games typically shoot around 60% in practice drills.

A D-1 coach told me this about a decade ago.

And Coach Ford claims Hasahn French hits free throws at a 70% clip in practice....

9 hours ago, slufanskip said:

Just my opinion but I think he was shooting from the hip. I can tell you I have experience that doesn't agree with a 25% jump from game play to uncontested. I have given shooting lessons and kept stats from players through HS and a couple of kids that played in college (non D1) would bet the number is less. My experience would tell me not many kids shoot 60% even uncontested. I've kept stats and worked with one kid in particular from 8th grade through his frosh year in college. He shot 50% from 3 as a Sr at a good HS.  He could probably stand around and shoot 3's with any Billiken on the roster possibly even Jimerson. He was just a 5'9" slow unathletic couldn't jump at all guard. He only played college ball at all because he could shoot. He couldn't consistently hit 60% in drills. 

Here's some three-point shooting numbers from a D-2 school.  Shooting around 60% unguarded is pretty common at the college level.