Top 144 is back

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-yep, my thought as well

I do NOT want to be a 5 seed.  They have to play the 12, which seems to always have a 12-5 upset.  I would prefer a 6 or 7, but not an 8 or 9.  The 8/9 game winner has to play the 1 seed to get to the second weekend and I'd rather not have to face that hurdle.

Look at us---debating a #5 seed!     I guess expectations are pretty high😀 

Thanks TF and staff.  Now let's win the Kern sweepstakes and watch Strickland become a better Nesbit (mis-spelled as a hats off to my friend B Roy)😉

8 hours ago, slufanskip said:

Without a bit of sarcasm, I can say I'll be a little disappointed in the season if we are a 5 seed. 

I’ll take a 5 seed any day of the week. That means we will be considered a top 20 team by the tournament selection committee. It will be tough for us to get higher than that unless we only lose 4 or fewer games. 

1 hour ago, kmbilliken said:

I’ll take a 5 seed any day of the week. That means we will be considered a top 20 team by the tournament selection committee. It will be tough for us to get higher than that unless we only lose 4 or fewer games. 

and those are my expectations. 4 seed or better. With that said I am easily a glass 90% full person. I have never understood going into a season thinking things won't work out so I'm not disappointed. I don't think we will play a game we can't win, so allowing for 4 or less losses ... ah hell, that just seems like too many

willie likes this

58 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

and those are my expectations. 4 seed or better. With that said I am easily a glass 90% full person. I have never understood going into a season thinking things won't work out so I'm not disappointed. I don't think we will play a game we can't win, so allowing for 4 or less losses ... ah hell, that just seems like too many

As crazy as that sounded to me, at first, you could be right;  4 or less losses, especially since we will likely be playing something along the lines of 26 games, not counting the A-10 tournament  The problem, obviously, is that we don't have much info on our OOC schedule  Do we know any for sure outside of the 3 ? in Orlando and the Ind St. game.  I would guess that we will still play SIU-C.  Out of all of those I believe it is not unreasonable to think we could go undefeated in the Conference, but let's concede that we usually have a clunker loss and lets give Richmond the one on their homecourt.  That gives us 2 L's.  Then figure we might lose 2 in Orlando, although I think one "L" is more likely (the Zags).  That take us to 4 L's and might be considered a worst case scenario .

The problem with NCAA seeding is even if we win 2 of 3 in Orlando and take 17 of 18 in the Conference, I still don't think the Committee will give us enough credit to get a 4 seed.  They just seem to love them big boys too much.  One factor that could help is if we would take the A-10 tournament along with the Regular season crown. 

I think the top 4 seeds will go somewhere along the lines of Big 10-4; ACC - 2/3; Big East- 2/3; SEC - 3/4; Big 12 - 2/3; Pac 12 - 2/3 plus Gonzaga, and absent a major surprise, you can almost name those teams right now.

3 minutes ago, willie said:

Dayton could have been a 1 seed. Could we be as good as Dayton was? Why not? 

Dayton had one unguardable player who is projected to be a top three NBA lottery pick and another player who was near unguardable.  They shot 37% from three as a team on high volume.  And if you sent the Flyers to the line they would punish you to the tune of 72%. The guy with the basketball in his hands most of the time shot 87%. What separates very good and elite teams is offensive execution in the last 5 min of games.

Being very good is still good enough to make a deep run in the tournament if you get hot.  A very good Auburn team made the Final Four as a 4 seed two years ago.

42 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Dayton had one unguardable player who is projected to be a top three NBA lottery pick and another player who was near unguardable.  They shot 37% from three as a team on high volume.  And if you sent the Flyers to the line they would punish you to the tune of 72%. The guy with the basketball in his hands most of the time shot 87%. What separates very good and elite teams is offensive execution in the last 5 min of games.

Being very good is still good enough to make a deep run in the tournament if you get hot.  A very good Auburn team made the Final Four as a 4 seed two years ago.

And we almost beat them here and could have there. 

2 hours ago, bauman said:

As crazy as that sounded to me, at first, you could be right;  4 or less losses, especially since we will likely be playing something along the lines of 26 games, not counting the A-10 tournament  The problem, obviously, is that we don't have much info on our OOC schedule  Do we know any for sure outside of the 3 ? in Orlando and the Ind St. game.  I would guess that we will still play SIU-C.  Out of all of those I believe it is not unreasonable to think we could go undefeated in the Conference, but let's concede that we usually have a clunker loss and lets give Richmond the one on their homecourt.  That gives us 2 L's.  Then figure we might lose 2 in Orlando, although I think one "L" is more likely (the Zags).  That take us to 4 L's and might be considered a worst case scenario .

The problem with NCAA seeding is even if we win 2 of 3 in Orlando and take 17 of 18 in the Conference, I still don't think the Committee will give us enough credit to get a 4 seed.  They just seem to love them big boys too much.  One factor that could help is if we would take the A-10 tournament along with the Regular season crown. 

I think the top 4 seeds will go somewhere along the lines of Big 10-4; ACC - 2/3; Big East- 2/3; SEC - 3/4; Big 12 - 2/3; Pac 12 - 2/3 plus Gonzaga, and absent a major surprise, you can almost name those teams right now.

I don't look to concede anything in my mind before a game. If we can win I want to go into the game believing we will win. Why assume we will have a clunker in conference or Richmond will beat us at their place. Last year Richmond was our ***** on their home court so anything less this year will be a let down. Honestly, If i believe my team will lose, I don't want to watch the game. 

As far as the selection committee goes. You could be right but we just need to make giving us a lesser seed than we deserve an impossibility. 

3 hours ago, slufanskip said:

I don't look to concede anything in my mind before a game. If we can win I want to go into the game believing we will win. Why assume we will have a clunker in conference or Richmond will beat us at their place. Last year Richmond was our ***** on their home court so anything less this year will be a let down. Honestly, If i believe my team will lose, I don't want to watch the game. 

As far as the selection committee goes. You could be right but we just need to make giving us a lesser seed than we deserve an impossibility. 

Skip, I don't want to concede any game either.  Maybe I shouldn't have used concede, acknowledge would have been a better term but what I was trying to do was build a worst case model.   My point is that we have to be almost perfect, like UD was last year, to get a top 4 seed. 

slufanskip likes this

14 minutes ago, Dr. Holly Hills said:

Loses to umass, Dayton(2), Davidson, Duquesne(2)... we have room for improvement from last year’s conference record too... just stating the obvious.  

Right, but remember that we played the entire Conf schedule w/o 2 starter quality players, Thatch and Jimerson and also have everybody else back.  There's a reason experts like Rothstein are picking us to win the A-10 and be a highly ranked team.

Dayton lost what, two games all year, had arguably the national player of the year,all sorts of media love and yet was being debated as one seed behind Baylor, Kansas, Gonzaga and San Diego State.  In other words, not a lot of respect for a great body of work.  

I think the A10 will be perceived as down this year.  Richmond is a bunch of gunners but heaven-forbid a key injury.  Dayton has no front line,.  VCU has been falling since Shaka left.  Umass is a class away.  Duquesne and the Bonnies get no respect in their home states let alone nationally.  The Philly and DC schools are mediocre to bad.  I think we will need a huge run of the table to garnewr any national respect. 

Hell, Lunardi opened us as a 10 seed and puts us behind Richmond.  I certainly don't agree but this will be the reality of where we are starting from.

The #36 breaks tomorrow after today's #37 Seton Hall listing.  If not listed tomorrow, then anything higher is gravy in my book.

Still don't mean much until you play the games.

3 hours ago, Taj79 said:

The #36 breaks tomorrow after today's #37 Seton Hall listing.  If not listed tomorrow, then anything higher is gravy in my book.

Still don't mean much until you play the games.

I also find it interesting that the last 10 schools listed are all from P6 conferences.  It looks to me like the remaining 36 schools will include two each from the AAC and the A 10 with the rest from the P6 plus the Zags.  It's nice to be rated higher than S. Hall even after last years' game

I'm very excited about this year's team.  However, my hopes and expectations are that we get into the tournament, whatever seed, and then surprise teams that haven't played against our style of intensity.

Let's remember that this is pretty much the same roster than lost to Davidson, UMass, and Duquesne (twice) last season.  I expect us to be improved.  I expect us to make the tournament.  But, let's not start saddling this team with expectations of a top 4 seed or better.  Hope for that.  Don't make that your expectation so that you will be disappointed if it doesn't happen.  Just sit back and enjoy.

bauman and 2010andBeyond like this

4 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

I'm very excited about this year's team.  However, my hopes and expectations are that we get into the tournament, whatever seed, and then surprise teams that haven't played against our style of intensity.

Let's remember that this is pretty much the same roster than lost to Davidson, UMass, and Duquesne (twice) last season.  I expect us to be improved.  I expect us to make the tournament.  But, let's not start saddling this team with expectations of a top 4 seed or better.  Hope for that.  Don't make that your expectation so that you will be disappointed if it doesn't happen.  Just sit back and enjoy.

Not trying to call you out @cgeldmacherbecause I totally agree with your expectations, but it’s not exactly the same roster as last year. We’ll have Jimerson and Thatch back (I know Thatch is still kinda wait and see for a lot of us, but all reports indicate he’s ready to go), plus we have Linssen as a 3rd big man option which will help especially in cases of foul trouble and be able to either pull Has, or substitute offense-defense so teams can’t pull a Hack-A-Has late in close games.

RUBillsFan, brianstl and bauman like this

1 minute ago, Reinert310 said:

Not trying to call you out @cgeldmacherbecause I totally agree with your expectations, but it’s not exactly the same roster as last year. We’ll have Jimerson and Thatch back (I know Thatch is still kinda wait and see for a lot of us, but all reports indicate he’s ready to go), plus we have Linssen as a 3rd big man option which will help especially in cases of foul trouble and be able to either pull Has, or substitute offense-defense so teams can’t pull a Hack-A-Has late in close games.

You're not calling me out.  It's just Billiken banter which is what this site is for.

I agree with you.  I expect us to be better all around.  I just have this annual thing around this time of year when I get upset at the folks who go overboard with their expectations.  Doesn't matter the position our team is in, this momentum starts to build to place this unreasonable expectation on our team.  This year that sentiment is more warranted than others.  However, someone saying that it would be a disappointment if we are not a 4th seed or better only serves to set up the disappointment that a person is hoping not to have.

I think it is much better to be hopeful that your team will have a good year, and not draw a line in the sand.  Then sit back and enjoy what your team accomplishes.

Just now, cgeldmacher said:

You're not calling me out.  It's just Billiken banter which is what this site is for.

I agree with you.  I expect us to be better all around.  I just have this annual thing around this time of year when I get upset at the folks who go overboard with their expectations.  Doesn't matter the position our team is in, this momentum starts to build to place unreasonable expectations on our team.  This year that sentiment is more warranted than others.  However, someone saying that it would be a disappointment if we are not a 4th seed or better only serves to set up the disappointment that a person is hoping not to have.

I think it is much better to be hopeful that your team will have a good year, and not draw a line in the sand.  Then sit back and enjoy what your team accomplishes.

Sorry, the new parameters got me on an edit and it somehow double posted.

11 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

I agree with you.  I expect us to be better all around.  I just have this annual thing around this time of year when I get upset at the folks who go overboard with their expectations.  Doesn't matter the position our team is in, this momentum starts to build to place this unreasonable expectation on our team.  This year that sentiment is more warranted than others.  However, someone saying that it would be a disappointment if we are not a 4th seed or better only serves to set up the disappointment that a person is hoping not to have.

I totally hear you. But having Jimerson and Thatch back, plus Linssen, hopefully Yuri’s hand remain not-numb, another year of experience from TJ and Jimmy Bell (don’t ask me why, but whenever my Dad and I refer to Jimmy, we always use his first AND last name. Don’t ask me how or why that started, just one of those things lol), we should be better, deeper and more experienced. Hopefully, that leads to more wins. But I’m ALL ABOUT being cautiously optimistic. I’d rather be pleasantly surprised than disappointed. My goal right now is to make the Tourney. And I have no problem adjusting those goals accordingly as the the season progresses. So I’m right there with you lol.

cgeldmacher likes this