Top 144 is back

KSU did finish 90th in kenpom and 88th in Sagarin last season.  They will probably be around that same level this coming season,  maybe a little better if their two big JUCO signings pan out.  They still will have a bad record overall because being 80-90th in the country means you are going to lose a lot in the Big 12.  

NH likes this

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

56 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

KState comes in at #85.  For a team that went 11 and 22 and lost everybody, I call bullshite on this ranking. I don't care who they have coming in.

This analytics based site has K State at #34 which is even more outragous: https://barttorvik.com/trankpre.php

I suspect that they're numbers are off because they show K State top 2 players as JUCO guys they're bringing in that the projection system has ranked as better than Jordan Goodwin.  Probably funny stuff going on with these guys JUCO stats in the system.

Somewhat funny given the unrealistically high ranking of K State is that the site still has them as #6 of 10 in the Big 12.  The league is stacked again and 6th in the league is their ceiling.  Going to be a long year in Manhattan even if they're decent.

8 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

This analytics based site has K State at #34 which is even more outragous: https://barttorvik.com/trankpre.php

I suspect that they're numbers are off because they show K State top 2 players as JUCO guys they're bringing in that the projection system has ranked as better than Jordan Goodwin.  Probably funny stuff going on with these guys JUCO stats in the system.

Somewhat funny given the unrealistically high ranking of K State is that the site still has them as #6 of 10 in the Big 12.  The league is stacked again and 6th in the league is their ceiling.  Going to be a long year in Manhattan even if they're decent.

I mean, if they theoretically have two players better than Goodwin, they're probably a top 40 team. I think they'll be bad though. I think Kasubke is a contribute right away guy, but Bradford I think is not at that level. Levi Stockard-esque.

4 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

I mean, if they theoretically have two players better than Goodwin, they're probably a top 40 team. I think they'll be bad though. I think Kasubke is a contribute right away guy, but Bradford I think is not at that level. Levi Stockard-esque.

Bradford has a much higher ceiling than Stockard.  He is a better player now than Stockard was coming out.  He is at 4 inches taller, better athlete and has better foot work than Stockard. Bradford probably has the highest ceiling of any player on KSU's roster.  The question is will he move toward reaching his ceiling.  His game stalled over the last year.  

29 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Bradford has a much higher ceiling than Stockard.  He is a better player now than Stockard was coming out.  He is at 4 inches taller, better athlete and has better foot work than Stockard. Bradford probably has the highest ceiling of any player on KSU's roster.  The question is will he move toward reaching his ceiling.  His game stalled over the last year.  

I did see right before he left that he got himself in much better shape. I would love to see him and Kasubke have great careers at KSU while the program stays mediocre. 

1 hour ago, RUBillsFan said:

The site you linked has us as #31 ( 1st in the A 10) and if we were in the BE we would be the 4th best (projected) team.  While I think that site has K-St highly overrated as 6th in the B12, the Top 144 boys have K St as tenth, or last, in the B12.  I think last will be a closer result.

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

Agreed.  Stockard would be a solid player in the A10. Bradford has the size to be a serious matchup problem in any mid-major conference.

brianstl likes this

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

I just don't see it, but we'll see

Coach314 likes this

I decided that someone had to post something about CBB since we have not had any posts since yesterday and that one was not actually about the Bills or CBB in general.

The Top 144 website at least has a post everyday even if in some cases it appears to be nothing more than spitballing, but at least it is a daily post about men's BB.

Seeing today's team-Washington- was ranked 82 in their countdown it made me curious about how the A 10 compared to other remaining Conference schools, so here goes.

81 spots left in the countdown:  ACC-11;  SEC,  Big East and Big 10  -  10 each;  Big 12 - 9;  Pac 12 - 8;   A 10 -6;  American - 4;   MWC and WCC  - 3 each ;  MVC - 2;  Southern Conf and MAC - 1 each, which leaves 3 spots of the 81 remaining that I couldn't locate, probably 3, one-bid conferences.

What does this tell us?  It at least gives us an argument that the  A 10 is the next best conference after the P5  (all football conferences) and the Beast, or what some writers group together as the P6. 

I expect our A 10 teams in the top 81 will be named in the following order; UMASS,  SBU,  DUQ,  Dayton,  SLU  and finally Richmond.  (Remember this website has an East Coast bias and picked the Bills as #143 last year).

5 minutes ago, bauman said:

I decided that someone had to post something about CBB since we have not had any posts since yesterday and that one was not actually about the Bills or CBB in general.

The Top 144 website at least has a post everyday even if in some cases it appears to be nothing more than spitballing, but at least it is a daily post about men's BB.

Seeing today's team-Washington- was ranked 82 in their countdown it made me curious about how the A 10 compared to other remaining Conference schools, so here goes.

81 spots left in the countdown:  ACC-11;  SEC,  Big East and Big 10  -  10 each;  Big 12 - 9;  Pac 12 - 8;   A 10 -6;  American - 4;   MWC and WCC  - 3 each ;  MVC - 2;  Southern Conf and MAC - 1 each, which leaves 3 spots of the 81 remaining that I couldn't locate, probably 3, one-bid conferences.

What does this tell us?  It at least gives us an argument that the  A 10 is the next best conference after the P5  (all football conferences) and the Beast, or what some writers group together as the P6. 

I expect our A 10 teams in the top 81 will be named in the following order; UMASS,  SBU,  DUQ,  Dayton,  SLU  and finally Richmond.  (Remember this website has an East Coast bias and picked the Bills as #143 last year).

I bet the 144 pickers wish they had their URI pick back. The twins being declared eligible should make them a top 81 team. If they look hard enough, they’d see SLU top to bottom better than Richmond. I believe Taj Mahal 79 has pointed out if Richmond has a starter go down they’re going to be scrambling. 

17 hours ago, slu72 said:

I bet the 144 pickers wish they had their URI pick back. The twins being declared eligible should make them a top 81 team. If they look hard enough, they’d see SLU top to bottom better than Richmond. I believe Taj Mahal 79 has pointed out if Richmond has a starter go down they’re going to be scrambling. 

All of these reviews were written before the NCAA began granting waivers...and there have been a gazillion approved.  Many teams likely would need a rewrite. 

I wouldn't worry about any team losing a starter.  (If SLU lost Collins or French, where would we be?)  I am more concerned about the virus taking down 3, 4 or 5 rotation players for 10 days to 2 weeks.  No team can withstand that type of loss in the heat of a season.  It will be interesting to see what happens with football.  We have seen how the MLB has attempted to handle positives.  My guess is that the virus will have a huge role in determining how this season (hopefully there is one) plays out.

https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/18698

Duquesne comes in at #80 and ranked 6th in the A10.  There isn't anything in the write up that we didn't know.  Another A10 team returning all its starters from a 21 win season.  But the writer did acknowledge Duquesne's weak schedule last year. In addition to the starters, you also have Tavian Dunn-Martin back so the rotation goes six deep.  There will be little help on the front line for Weathers and Hughes unless redshirt sophomore Amari Kelly gets some religion.  It could happen.  There are nine new faces listed with eight being freshmen and with the eight returning, well, 17 doesn't work with 13 scholarships to give.  Only one, Jaylen Williams, is listed as a walk-on.  Something has to give but Dambrot always seems to do this.

Hughes and Weathers are a decent A10 front line.  Carry is a decent point guard.  Dunn-Martin launches bombs.  I still like Maceo Austin's overall game.  But this team did not get that much better with nine two-star recruits.  And I don't think they will sneak up on anyone this year .... everyone knows who they are.   It looks like Dambrot's transfer pipeline is also done.for now.  Top 144 says they will make the NIT.  I am curious to see if and how they upgraded their schedule.  And the Palumbo Duct center reopens this year.  I'n mow two hours closer,maybe I'll catch a game.  Do we go there this year?

CBFan likes this

2 hours ago, Taj79 said:

https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/18698

Duquesne comes in at #80 and ranked 6th in the A10.  There isn't anything in the write up that we didn't know.  Another A10 team returning all its starters from a 21 win season.  But the writer did acknowledge Duquesne's weak schedule last year. In addition to the starters, you also have Tavian Dunn-Martin back so the rotation goes six deep.  There will be little help on the front line for Weathers and Hughes unless redshirt sophomore Amari Kelly gets some religion.  It could happen.  There are nine new faces listed with eight being freshmen and with the eight returning, well, 17 doesn't work with 13 scholarships to give.  Only one, Jaylen Williams, is listed as a walk-on.  Something has to give but Dambrot always seems to do this.

Hughes and Weathers are a decent A10 front line.  Carry is a decent point guard.  Dunn-Martin launches bombs.  I still like Maceo Austin's overall game.  But this team did not get that much better with nine two-star recruits.  And I don't think they will sneak up on anyone this year .... everyone knows who they are.   It looks like Dambrot's transfer pipeline is also done.for now.  Top 144 says they will make the NIT.  I am curious to see if and how they upgraded their schedule.  And the Palumbo Duct center reopens this year.  I'n mow two hours closer,maybe I'll catch a game.  Do we go there this year?

I surprised that they picked UMASS to be better than DUQ when DUQ has it's top 6 players back

We do not go to DUQ this year.  They are three of the better teams in the A 10 who we play only at The Fetz this year, the other two being DAV and Rhode Island.

Edited by bauman
Addl Info

@bauman --- I think the projection is fair from the standpoint that we know EXACTLY what Duquesne brings to the table.  That is a decent Duquesne team for Duquesne standards which haven't been good for over a decade.  Yes, they were gypsies last year waiting the Palumbo re-do but did not really play anyone in their OOC on the way to a 10 and 2 record.  They started the A10 by surprising us but then had a relative easy schedule with a down Davidson team, St. Joes, Geedubya and Fordham.  That means 6 and 7 down the stretch.  And Bailey Steele, who I thought was serviceable, is gone.

UMass is likely next and they have decent parts in the Mitchells, Weeks, Pierre, Walker and Santos with high  expectations for transfers Fernandez and Gasperini.  They might even slide up if Dayton comes in next and I think 3 thru 5 are jumbled enough that there is a decent chance that the offensively-challenged Bonnies slide in at #5.  The top two are obvious.  I can see any of the aforementioned three coming in and I think no matter the order, they will all be above the 60 rank.

57 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

@bauman --- I think the projection is fair from the standpoint that we know EXACTLY what Duquesne brings to the table.  That is a decent Duquesne team for Duquesne standards which haven't been good for over a decade.  Yes, they were gypsies last year waiting the Palumbo re-do but did not really play anyone in their OOC on the way to a 10 and 2 record.  They started the A10 by surprising us but then had a relative easy schedule with a down Davidson team, St. Joes, Geedubya and Fordham.  That means 6 and 7 down the stretch.  And Bailey Steele, who I thought was serviceable, is gone.

UMass is likely next and they have decent parts in the Mitchells, Weeks, Pierre, Walker and Santos with high  expectations for transfers Fernandez and Gasperini.  They might even slide up if Dayton comes in next and I think 3 thru 5 are jumbled enough that there is a decent chance that the offensively-challenged Bonnies slide in at #5.  The top two are obvious.  I can see any of the aforementioned three coming in and I think no matter the order, they will all be above the 60 rank.

Hard to argue with our A10 guru, but I have a feeling the Flyers are going to be a toughie once again. Crutcher’s return and the addition of Chase sends a bit of a shiver up my aged spine. I actually fear UD more than Richmond. That said, I still think we can rip thru the league. 

Crutcher is a nice player and makes YouDee stronger, no doubt about it.  They will likely have a nice record given that very few teams come to YouDee arena so their schedule will be filled with many 'buy' games.  Plus 13,000 fans will turn the tide in a game or two.  But his return just plusses up an already decent backcourt in Watson, Chatman and Cohill.  Dayton's problem remains the front line where Chase Johnson hasn't really played in three years and Jordy Tshimanga, who is unproven at best.  This puts a lot of pressure on unproven freshmen Nwokeji, Blakeney and  Sissoko to perform.  Its not so much replacing Toppin, but replacing the chemistry added by Mikesell and Landers.  The intangibles will be tough to find.  I think Anthony Grant will really prove himself if he shines this year.

22 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Crutcher is a nice player and makes YouDee stronger, no doubt about it.  They will likely have a nice record given that very few teams come to YouDee arena so their schedule will be filled with many 'buy' games.  Plus 13,000 fans will turn the tide in a game or two.  But his return just plusses up an already decent backcourt in Watson, Chatman and Cohill.  Dayton's problem remains the front line where Chase Johnson hasn't really played in three years and Jordy Tshimanga, who is unproven at best.  This puts a lot of pressure on unproven freshmen Nwokeji, Blakeney and  Sissoko to perform.  Its not so much replacing Toppin, but replacing the chemistry added by Mikesell and Landers.  The intangibles will be tough to find.  I think Anthony Grant will really prove himself if he shines this year.

Please note I didn’t say they’d be the UD of last season. Just that they’re looking stronger than maybe originally thought. While I can see our guys pulling off a perfect trip thru the A10, they will likely stumble against a team or two. UD could easily be one of them. 

UMASS today at #72.  They have their top 3 scorers back, one of whom seems to be a situation similar to ours with GJ.  Weeks returns as a RS Fr after playing only 10 games last year.  They return a player we , nor anyone else in the A 10, had an answer for, the likely pre-season pick for POY, Tre Mitchell.  They gave us quite the battle in our two games with them last year so they appear to be a very strong A 10 team, at #72 in this countdown.

Either Dayton or SBU next up. 

An unrelated comment on SBU:  in looking at the program booklet from our last home game last year, I noticed that the Bonnies were returning all players (except Planutis who has transferred) not only for this upcoming season but also for the 21-22 season.  They were pretty good for a FR and SOPH only team last year.  How does Schmidt get these guys to go to Nowhere, NY?

2 minutes ago, bauman said:

UMASS today at #72.  They have their top 3 scorers back, one of whom seems to be a situation similar to ours with GJ.  Weeks returns as a RS Fr after playing only 10 games last year.  They return a player we , nor anyone else in the A 10, had an answer for, the likely pre-season pick for POY, Tre Mitchell.  They gave us quite the battle in our two games with them last year so they appear to be a very strong A 10 team, at #72 in this countdown.

Either Dayton or SBU next up. 

An unrelated comment on SBU:  in looking at the program booklet from our last home game last year, I noticed that the Bonnies were returning all players (except Planutis who has transferred) not only for this upcoming season but also for the 21-22 season.  They were pretty good for a FR and SOPH only team last year.  How does Schmidt get these guys to go to Nowhere, NY?

nowhere NY is gotta seem like heaven to some of the ghettos these kids are trying to escape from.   just my opinion.  add in schmidt probably doing a good job of convincing mom he will be their dad for the next four years and not only get them a degree but take care of their life development at such a fine school, you got a bingo.  

willie likes this

16 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

nowhere NY is gotta seem like heaven to some of the ghettos these kids are trying to escape from.   just my opinion.  add in schmidt probably doing a good job of convincing mom he will be their dad for the next four years and not only get them a degree but take care of their life development at such a fine school, you got a bingo.  

I think he promises them unlimited free use of the school’s snowmobiles. 

37 minutes ago, bauman said:

He didn't play much, but Rob Carpenter also transferred out of St. Bonnie.  He was recruited by the Bills, and several MBM's were enamored with his potential.   He played in 15 games for the Bonnies and averaged 1.0 ppg. Sometimes losing out on a recruiting battle is a win.

Old guy likes this

I think the Umass write up is fair.  They were  a team I did not care to see in Brooklyn.  Losing Sean East really hurts as there is no real true distribute-first PG on the roster.  Carl Pierre and TJ Weeks essentially play the same position and Weeks is coming off a season-ending injury so recovery time is yet to tell.  Tre Mitchell is certainly solid and a good building block.  He's no highlight reel like Obi Toppin but in the A10, you don't need that.  This team could surprise some and be top four easily. 

I have to admit I was surprised to see Noah Fernandez listed as ineligible.  Then I researched and saw where he played all last year at Wichita before transferring when the conference tournaments were cancelled.  So he is in the tradstionaL 'sit out' year usually typical for transfers.  H He must not have as good as a application writer as those guys down south in Kingston.  Fernandez as a true point would have helped a lot.  Tre Mitchell, Carl Pierre and TJ Weeks don't really pass the ball and Kolton Mitchell, while he was hurt for a while, only dished out 1.5 apg. Plus their defense was suspect as well.

Overall right where they should be.  I think the Bonnies are next with Dayton getting the 'feel good' bounce from last year for third.

Dayton comes in today at #65; fourth best in the A10.  Which leaves the Bonnies, Richmond and us.  I think validates bauman's statement above that the Bonnies garnered the 'extra' edge due to everyone coming back.

Dayton's write up confirms what I already know ---- they are guard heavy.  Cructher, Watson and Chatman provided over 37 ppg last year and that's about the gist of what's back. Chase Johnson and Jordy Tshimanga are noted, but listed as 'experience' if nothing more.  I still think Dwayne Cohill was showing some positive signs late last year but it was more defensive more than anything else.  He didn't hurt them while on the court.  Nothing has been said about their recruits although USC transfer Elijah Weaver is listed ---- maybe our resident waiver expert knows more on him and if he got a transfer waiver as well.  Weaver would only add to a jammed back court if eligible.

Dayton is predicted as an NIT team.  There is a lot of talk about last year and Obi and what could have been.  Game planning to stopping Crutcher will be key for any opponent.  Dayton wins 20 games a lot due to their OOC and folks they choose to come to Dayton Arena. Given the COVID situation, Dayton will be hugely impacted if they lose such an advantage this year.Losing Crutcher or Watson for any amount of time would hurt Dayton immensely.  Johnson's value remains to be seen given his medical history.  Lots riding on their two freshmen redshirt bigs.

21 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Dayton comes in today at #65; fourth best in the A10.  Which leaves the Bonnies, Richmond and us.  I think validates bauman's statement above that the Bonnies garnered the 'extra' edge due to everyone coming back.

Dayton's write up confirms what I already know ---- they are guard heavy.  Cructher, Watson and Chatman provided over 37 ppg last year and that's about the gist of what's back. Chase Johnson and Jordy Tshimanga are noted, but listed as 'experience' if nothing more.  I still think Dwayne Cohill was showing some positive signs late last year but it was more defensive more than anything else.  He didn't hurt them while on the court.  Nothing has been said about their recruits although USC transfer Elijah Weaver is listed ---- maybe our resident waiver expert knows more on him and if he got a transfer waiver as well.  Weaver would only add to a jammed back court if eligible.

Dayton is predicted as an NIT team.  There is a lot of talk about last year and Obi and what could have been.  Game planning to stopping Crutcher will be key for any opponent.  Dayton wins 20 games a lot due to their OOC and folks they choose to come to Dayton Arena. Given the COVID situation, Dayton will be hugely impacted if they lose such an advantage this year.Losing Crutcher or Watson for any amount of time would hurt Dayton immensely.  Johnson's value remains to be seen given his medical history.  Lots riding on their two freshmen redshirt bigs.

-I understand how good Topin was for them last season, and Crutcher as well, but someone that impressed me in their games I saw, not just against us, was Watson, I don't know why he left Michigan, perhaps coaching change, but SVU has a real good one in him, too