Stuck with Dish: advice? suggestions??

2 hours ago, Reinert310 said:

CBFan, This is gonna sound so dumb because I don’t even remember the name of the company, but I distinctly remember seeing commercials here in STL where they literally start the advertisement with “Still think you can’t get high speed wireless internet when you live in the middle of nowhere (not they’re exact words, but you get the idea).” I don’t how effective they are, but I do they exist. I’ll do a few Google searches (about the extent of my internet capabilities) and see what I can find.

Thank you but Hughes Net is exactly the same, faster for the first 50G data then slow unlimited after that.

They get away with high speed because of the first 50G.

When I got Dish I was cutting the cord until I found out about the 50G.  1 hour of video = 3G of data used.  I was told by dish do not get Netflix or anything like it otherwise it will eat up the 50G.

1 minute ago, willie said:

My suggestion to you and CBFan is to move. Who wants to live in the sticks?🤓

It was the only way I could own my private fishing pond.

Thank you for the laugh Willie

22 hours ago, Reinert310 said:

Hmart, I’ve never used Hulu Live TV, but just googled this. Looks like they DO carry Fox Sports Midwest (or whatever Fox Sports regional channels, if you’re out of town). They also carry CBS Sports and NBC sports. So you should be good for all Billikens games.

A83B5B3D-E386-470A-BF0F-7CD324A81BAD.png

Thank you!

1 hour ago, tarheelbilliken said:

I love the mountains and Asheville. 😇

That is a beautiful place I visited the Biltmore mansion and the drive to the Biltmore was how I remembered that area of the country as a kid, spectacular.

23 hours ago, dlarry said:

I went from DirectTV to YouTube TV.

love it! Absolutely no regrets.

As much as I enjoy YouTube TV the best part of making the switch is not needing to deal with AT&T anymore. The customer service at AT&T might be the worst in the history of businesses. 
Every time I needed to talk to them it turned into a 30 minute shouting match.

I was convinced my wife was going to come home from work one day and I’d be dead on the floor...cause of death “heart attack from dealing with AT&T.”

Im a pretty calm guy  but talking to them was just awful.

Towards the end I knew how bad it was going to be so I’d pour a whiskey on the rocks before making the call. Then I’d need another after the call.

F those people. I’m getting mad just thinking about it.

This perfectly describes my prior experiences with Charter.

And I agree with the others that YouTube TV is excellent.  I had PS Vue and was very disappointed when they folded, but like YTTV even more.

6 hours ago, CBFan said:

Thank you but Hughes Net is exactly the same, faster for the first 50G data then slow unlimited after that.

When I got Dish I was cutting the cord until I found out about the 50G.  1 hour of video = 3G of data used.  I was told by dish do not get Netflix or anything like it otherwise it will eat up the 50G.

No problem buddy. Sorry I couldn’t be more help. Yeah, I saw those data caps and was kinda shocked. That sucks. But your own fishing pond does seem kinda nice. I have driven through the Appalachian mountains (I think it’s the Appalachians, I’m horrible at geography) in Tennessee and Georgia. Absolutely beautiful area.

21 hours ago, CBFan said:

So you can go back to cable?  Sounds like you might have to do that.

On 6/26/2020 at 10:34 AM, DoctorB said:

Yes, got stuck with 2 more years on my contract w/ Dishnet, which is generally OK, but they dropped FSMW and there's evidently no end of that dispute in sight (I was told twice now, most recently at Christmas, that this would be resolved shortly...).

anyone else out there looking for alternatives, as the Cardinals get warmed up for some baseball? I thought SlingTV would work at a reasonable price but they dropped it too. I hate shelling out $50 a month for HuluPlus, just for baseball, Blues Hockey, and whatever Billikens games end up on FSMW... of course I can always just hide the bill from my parsimonious/ penurious/ penny-pinching wife.

Curious how much $ the contract break penatly would be.   Cell phone companies often/used to offer to pay these fees in order to have a new customer.

1 hour ago, Clock_Tower said:

So you can go back to cable?  Sounds like you might have to do that.

No there is no infrastructure in the rural area that live in so the only choice is satellite.

If I could get cable what a blessing that would be.

I have the same problem at the Lake of the Ozarks only satellite and I have a place in a densely populated area.

What you get speed wise with dish is around 15Mbps so it is not good for working at home over a VPN either so I have been going to my office during the pandemic.

Youtube TV announced today a whopping $15 a month price increase. They are adding a few channels that had been in the works a while. The amount of the increase, after multiple recent increases, especially considering everything that is going on these days, seems a bit out of touch. $64.99 new price beginning this summer.All things considered it is still better than many alternatives. But they will lose some customers over this. 

2 minutes ago, courtside said:

Youtube TV announced today a whopping $15 a month price increase. They are adding a few channels that had been in the works a while. The amount of the increase, after multiple recent increases, especially considering everything that is going on these days, seems a bit out of touch. $64.99 new price beginning this summer.All things considered it is still better than many alternatives. But they will lose some customers over this. 

At that price point you might be better off with your standard issue basic cable package plus the sports package. 

3 minutes ago, courtside said:

Yeah kind of a dick move.

I gained 5 channels I’ll never watch and it’s going to cost me 15 bucks a month.

I might switch to something else just out of principle. The problem is I really like YTTV I have until the end of July to decide. 

BilliesBy40 likes this

• 2 weeks later...

I'm using Spectrum for Wifi, which is good service.  Now we are looking at bundling, because Sprint is extremely high for cell phones (300-400/ month, my wife does a lot of international calling and online stuff with her phone...)  For TV, we need both FoxSports Midwest & TV Japan/ NHK.  Altogether the amount we spend $$$ on TV, Wifi, phones, and so forth is really high.

Who can suggest a great bundle deal including FoxSports Midwest & TV Japan/ NHK?  Yeah I know annoying.  But Cardinals are warming up and the Grand Sumo tournament begins in one week!!  Time to pull the trigger; Spectrum is looking pretty good right now...

3 hours ago, DoctorB said:

I'm using Spectrum for Wifi, which is good service.  Now we are looking at bundling, because Sprint is extremely high for cell phones (300-400/ month, my wife does a lot of international calling and online stuff with her phone...)  For TV, we need both FoxSports Midwest & TV Japan/ NHK.  Altogether the amount we spend $$$ on TV, Wifi, phones, and so forth is really high.

Who can suggest a great bundle deal including FoxSports Midwest & TV Japan/ NHK?  Yeah I know annoying.  But Cardinals are warming up and the Grand Sumo tournament begins in one week!!  Time to pull the trigger; Spectrum is looking pretty good right now...

Cannot help you with Japan... but we bundle with Charter.  I am always intrigued at and enjoy the discussions of "cutting the cord" but we have not done so - and I don't that happening either.  If we did, then U-Tube TV sounds the best.  But our internet regularly gets speeds of 220 to 300 Mbps.  With 4 heavy users of bandwidth and consumption of data from working from home, to Netflix, the cellphones and laptops, kids on Zoom during COVID... it has just become the new normal.

DoctorB likes this