UCON

willie

UCON announced they are dropping 4 sports and cutting their athletic budget by 15%. They will still have a significant deficit. Sign of the times. I hope our programs don't get hit too hard. I am glad Biondi is no longer president. 

21 minutes ago, willie said:

UCON announced they are dropping 4 sports and cutting their athletic budget by 15%. They will still have a significant deficit. Sign of the times. I hope our programs don't get to hard. I am glad Biondi is no longer president. 

SLU should start up a football program like UConn did. It worked wonders.

p.s. I'd put the above in blue font but if you really can't understand it to be sarcasm you are beyond help.

When we had all that conference jumping going on, UCONN figured the success of their Women’s and Men’s bb teams would get them an invite to the ACC or B10. But they needed to go big time in FB. One rich alumni showed up and tossed money into that scheme. The invites went out and UCONN was not in the jumble. So their only option was the AAC. Not exactly what they were counting on. And so they came begging to the Beast, which took them back. Should have told the Huskies to f$&k off. You made your bed now lie in it. 

Jim Calhoun was a once-in-a-lifetime hire. There is nothing unique or special about UConn and it’s sports/basketball program. Rejoin the Big East and no guarantee. They can become the next DePaul or if they hire another top flight Coach - become the old UConn or Villanova.  Easier said than done. Ling dry spell between Rollie Massimino and Jay Wright. Tough to relive prior glory - see St John, Seton Hall, and GTown. Alot of parity in Big East with X, Butler, Marquette and Syracuse too. The exclusive national/ESPN audience (lucrative $ and national exposure) of the 1980s is not coming back.  There are simply not enough once-in-a-lifetime coaches to go around to all the various former powerhouse schools. UNLV has done nothing since Jerry Tarkanian. Indiana has been average in the Big 10 since Knight. Illinois has done nothing since Self. Kansas has remained strong by hiring Self after Roy Williams but  blueblood NC was poor/average after Dean Smith until Roy arrived. Temple has been average since John Cheney. Eddie Sutton, Billy Giilispe and Tuby Smith were real drop offs from Rupp, Pitino and Calipari. It’s the coach - not the program even though winning tradition, conference affiliation and money help making the hiring process easier.  Just not enough truly great coaches. 

7 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

Jim Calhoun was a once-in-a-lifetime hire. There is nothing unique or special about UConn and it’s sports/basketball program. Rejoin the Big East and no guarantee. They can become the next DePaul or if they hire another top flight Coach - become the old UConn or Villanova.  Easier said than done. Ling dry spell between Rollie Massimino and Jay Wright. Tough to relive prior glory - see St John, Seton Hall, and GTown. Alot of parity in Big East with X, Butler, Marquette and Syracuse too. The exclusive national/ESPN audience (lucrative $ and national exposure) of the 1980s is not coming back.  There are simply not enough once-in-a-lifetime coaches to go around to all the various former powerhouse schools. UNLV has done nothing since Jerry Tarkanian. Indiana has been average in the Big 10 since Knight. Illinois has done nothing since Self. Kansas has remained strong by hiring Self after Roy Williams but  blueblood NC was poor/average after Dean Smith until Roy arrived. Temple has been average since John Cheney. Eddie Sutton, Billy Giilispe and Tuby Smith were real drop offs from Rupp, Pitino and Calipari. It’s the coach - not the program even though winning tradition, conference affiliation and money help making the hiring process easier.  Just not enough truly great coaches. 

I see you got the a-hole seal of approval on this post.....

Quality Is Job 1 likes this

Just now, Billiken Rich said:

I see you got the a-hole seal of approval on this post.....

In a long rambling post with no point he did make a huge factual error saying Syracuse was in the Big East. I think it deserves a bad post rating myself.

BilliesBy40 and TheA_Bomb like this

1 minute ago, thetorch said:

In a long rambling post with no point he did make a huge factual error saying Syracuse was in the Big East. I think it deserves a bad post rating myself.

I guess we have a different standard for a bad post tag.  If you disagree with the reasoning or want to point out an error, saying so might be the way to go.  

CBFan and Quality Is Job 1 like this

8 hours ago, Billiken Rich said:

I guess we have a different standard for a bad post tag.  If you disagree with the reasoning or want to point out an error, saying so might be the way to go.  

Yes, that or just stop reading the post and continue on.  I do that many times with selected posters.