R.I.P. Justin Love

Pistol

4 hours ago, slu72 said:

I agree. I did the years and it didn’t jive w/ Romar’s arrival at SLU. 

obviously i have misremembered this.   22 years ago and a failing mind.   i need to take supplements. 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

obviously i have misremembered this.   22 years ago and a failing mind.   i need to take supplements. 

I think you combined the stories of Love, Fisher, and Perry into one.

7 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

J. Love was one of my favorites.  Dude had an electric smile and could score.  His dad was awesome that season wearing the Kevlar helmet with "hard work" (I think) written on it and just going wild at the games.  I think J. Love married a Baby Blue as well.

I went to see him in some semi-pro league in Oklahoma City (2001, 02, 03. or 04 I forget) once when I lived at Ft. Sill, OK.  I had about 4 people there in SLU shirts we cheered for him and I'm pretty sure he saw us in the crowd of about 200+.  Kareem Abdul Jabbar was the opposing coach that night.

That 2000 Conference USA Tournament was great and in my senior year.

That was the St. Louis Skyhawks. I saw him play against a Kareem coached team and also against Daryll Dawkins coached team as well. 

48 minutes ago, thetorch said:

I think you combined the stories of Love, Fisher, and Perry into one.

A believable version of the story would be that as a Juco coming out of California, Justin was recruited by SLU, Pepperdine and others. After Spoon left after his first year at SLU, the Love's were pleased when Romar was named head coach as they had gotten to know him during the earlier recruiting process.

Just to clarify: Spoon brought in Love, Jeffers, and Perry. Romar  brings in Fisher, but he has to sit for a year. If Romar had Love, Jeffers, and Perry plus Baniak, Heinrich, Redden, and Tatum on the ‘99-2000 team shouldn’t we have had a much better regular season record? 

Perry was Spoon's last recruit.  He never played for Spoon though.  Romar had to re recruit him.

99-00 had 2 fatal flaws.  Couldn't shoot and couldn't rebound.  Love shot 42% from 3, but only 43% from the field.  Only 1/3 of his shots were from 3.  In hindsight he should have taken nothing but 3s.  We had an imposing front line Tatum, Baniak and Heinrich.  Tatum led the twm with 6 boards.  Love outrebounded Heinrich and Baniak.  I loved Heinrich but he was a black hole on offense.  I complain about French's shooting, Heinrich shot 42% and didn't take a FG outside of 5 feet.  Baniak was the most talented of the 3 but lacked any drive.  We lost some stinkers in the non con, a trait of Romar and Soderberg teams, and CUSA was really good and we had a crappy schedule.  We played the top teams at home, which we were going to lose anyway while we played Tulane, Southern Miss, & S Florida on the road all losses to inferior teams.  DePaul beat us twice.  We lost to La tech, SW Mo St, and we should have beat K St.  With all that we make FTs at a decent clip and we were playing the 2nd round of the NCAAs.

CBFan likes this

Spoon told Romar, "You're gonna like the little fella from Chicago".

My understanding is that the leftover Spoon players were all very pleased with the Romar hire. The only underclassman who left after Spoon's last season was Cranford. Love, Tatum, Jeffers, Heinrich, Baniak, Fergerson, Robertson, Redden, and Simmons all stayed.

Perry stayed committed, and I think both Drew Diener and Chris Braun were initially Spoon recruits, too. Latimer was a Romar recruit that season and Fisher redshirted after initially signing with Pepperdine. Varner was a Romar Pepperdine recruit who played there as a freshman in 1998-1999 but took a two-year mission before playing at SLU in 2001-2002. Did Jeffers commit to Spoon out of JUCO or was he a Romar recruit?

9 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

Remember when you said college was "taken care of" for your grandkids?

23 minutes ago, crymdg2 said:

Remember when you said college was "taken care of" for your grandkids?

well that is because my wonderful d-i-l works for washington university

4 hours ago, Pistol said:

Spoon told Romar, "You're gonna like the little fella from Chicago".

My understanding is that the leftover Spoon players were all very pleased with the Romar hire. The only underclassman who left after Spoon's last season was Cranford. Love, Tatum, Jeffers, Heinrich, Baniak, Fergerson, Robertson, Redden, and Simmons all stayed.

Perry stayed committed, and I think both Drew Diener and Chris Braun were initially Spoon recruits, too. Latimer was a Romar recruit that season and Fisher redshirted after initially signing with Pepperdine. Varner was a Romar Pepperdine recruit who played there as a freshman in 1998-1999 but took a two-year mission before playing at SLU in 2001-2002. Did Jeffers commit to Spoon out of JUCO or was he a Romar recruit?

Jeffers was a spoon recruit.

Pistol likes this