R.I.P. Justin Love

Pistol

Justin Love died of an apparent heart attack in Mascoutah today. He was serving as the boys' head basketball coach at Mascoutah HS. He was a great guy in my limited interactions with him and I sure enjoyed his brief career as a player at SLU. Big loss for the SLU and greater STL communities.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

https://www.heraldpubs.com/2020/06/23/mhs-mourns-the-loss-of-basketball-coach/

By Pamela Rensing
[email protected]

At approximately 11:15 a.m. on Tuesday, June 23, the Mascoutah EMS was called to Mascoutah High School.
By afternoon, the following statement was released by Superintendent Dr. Craig Fiegel:
“This morning, June 23, 2020, Coach Justin Love, Head Basketball Coach of the Mascoutah High School Boys Basketball program, was found unresponsive on campus.  He was rushed to the hospital and later pronounced deceased.  No other information is available at this time. Coach Love was a beloved member of the Mascoutah Family and will be greatly missed.  Keep his family in your thoughts and prayers.”
According to the MHS website, Love was a San Francisco native with many years of playing experience including a brilliant career at St. Louis University where he was statistically among the top 10 in both season and career averages. Following his collegiate career, Justin declared for the NBA Draft, signing with the Phoenix Suns. After becoming a free agent.
Love’s professional career spanned 12 seasons, playing across the world in China’s Beijing Aoshen and Beijing Olympians, Latvia’s BC Ventspil, Germany’s EnBW Ludwigsburg and BC Odessa in the Superleague. Justin held a BA in Communications Disorders and a Master’s in Education. His philosophy for the Indians was to be tough, smart and unselfish.
Love was the MHS Boys varsity head coach and was named Illinois Basketball Association “Boys High School Coach of the Year” in 2019.

this is beyond shocking and sad.   he was a great young man, a terrific father and husband.   his parents were very good people who i came to know when justin was at slu.   

one of my all time favorite billikens.   

his greatest contribution to billiken lore - the author of the "Miracle in Memphis".    he would not be denied that week.   

He was in pretty good shape the last time I saw him a couple years back.  He was crawling through our row after getting off the floor after some sort of presentation.  I locked eyes with him and said "man do we miss you."  He said, "yeah and I miss this place too." 

Holy sh*t.  This is incredibly sad.

@The House That Rick Built just posted early this morning that they had a re-watch of the 2000 SLU/Cincinatti game with former Billiken Justin Love and @billikenfan05 that they are going to put up on YouTube.

Going to be incredibly difficult to watch that now and keep dry eyes.

2 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

Holy sh*t.  This is incredibly sad.

@The House That Rick Built just posted early this morning that they had a re-watch of the 2000 SLU/Cincinatti game with former Billiken Justin Love and @billikenfan05 that they are going to put up on YouTube.

Going to be incredibly difficult to watch that now and keep dry eyes.

Was supposed to actually be up last night but my computer refused to cooperate. Hopefully we can publish that soon. And indeed, it will be impossible to watch that with a dry eye.

2 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

He was only 41 years old.  To the graybeards among us, think of all the good things that happened in your life after the age of 41.  What a tragic loss for his family, friends and the Billiken community at large.  I'll never forget JLove carrying us through that 1999-2000 season.

Wow. I never met him or saw him play in person, but everything I’ve ever heard or read about him on this board was he was a terrific young man. So sad. I know some on here, especially B’roy, knew him well. I feel for his family, his friends, his team. I think his number should be on our uniforms this year. RIP, We should all be Justin Love ❤️