How do you feel about the A10?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree Big East is ideal, question whether it will ever happen.

I’ll say this about the A10...the one thing they did right was getting Bernadette McGlade to serve as commissioner. 

Shes got a way better TV exposure for the conference,. She also quickly signed on new members (Davidson) when the conference could have imploded when schools like Xavier bolted. 

Doug Elgin and the MVC were the toast of the town when SLU joined the A10 in the mid-2000s. She’s done a way better job keeping the A10 nationally competitive since that time...

Look at the postseason bids for the two conferences year after year and there’s no comparison. 

49 minutes ago, AGB91 said:

If she can get rid of two of the A-10 bottom feeders and add a Belmont and Loyola, we would be set.

IMHO

Probably no A10 member wants to leave unless it’s for a move up in status, ie the Beast or the AAC. It would be difficult for her to go to Fordham or LaSalle and say, we’d like u to leave. One way to get them to move would be to require a facilities standard. Both LaSalle and Fordham are lacking in facilities. Given the current poor economic situation it would not be easy for these schools to raise the $’s to do upgrades. 

billiken_roy likes this

16 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Probably no A10 member wants to leave unless it’s for a move up in status, ie the Beast or the AAC. It would be difficult for her to go to Fordham or LaSalle and say, we’d like u to leave. One way to get them to move would be to require a facilities standard. Both LaSalle and Fordham are lacking in facilities. Given the current poor economic situation it would not be easy for these schools to raise the $’s to do upgrades. 

Im still not sold on Loyola.  Sure its attractive right now with having a recent final four run, a coach who we're familiar with, and close in location.  But they need to show me a little more for me to want them.  Odds are coach porter will leave if he has more success, but out side of the last 2 years, that program has been a mess. 

15 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Im still not sold on Loyola.  Sure its attractive right now with having a recent final four run, a coach who we're familiar with, and close in location.  But they need to show me a little more for me to want them.  Odds are coach porter will leave if he has more success, but out side of the last 2 years, that program has been a mess. 

Why not just keep it at a smaller number? There's no one really out there that would improve the top half of this conference.

RUBillsFan and billiken_roy like this

1 hour ago, VeniceMenace said:

Agree Big East is ideal, question whether it will ever happen.

I’ll say this about the A10...the one thing they did right was getting Bernadette McGlade to serve as commissioner. 

Shes got a way better TV exposure for the conference,. She also quickly signed on new members (Davidson) when the conference could have imploded when schools like Xavier bolted. 

Doug Elgin and the MVC were the toast of the town when SLU joined the A10 in the mid-2000s. She’s done a way better job keeping the A10 nationally competitive since that time...

Look at the postseason bids for the two conferences year after year and there’s no comparison. 

Agree, what she has to work with I think she done an outstanding job. The tourney in Brooklyn is first class. Final on Selection Sunday, in a NBA arena and on network TV. We have always up to now had multiple bids in the NCAAs.

It was ashame we did not have a conference tourney and NCAA tourney this year. First time in a long time (maybe St Joe's 15 years ago) we had the possibility of a team to make Elite 8 or Final 4. Also it was not a Cinderella team.

billiken_roy likes this

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

Don't forget 1963

I am surprised Porter has not received any P5 offers. Also, it’s not like Loyola has disappeared as they’ve been in the MVC hunt since their miracle run. I’d take ‘em in a NY minute over Fordham. Plus, the geography’s better.