How do you feel about the A10?

1 minute ago, cgeldmacher said:

I understand being wary about being in a conference with public football schools, but remember, the best conference situation we've had in the past 40 years involved that exact situation.  I agree that staying in the A-10 is best for us right now, but I also sometimes consider what moving to the AAC would be like.

What was so good about the c-usa days?  We made the tourney twice with the claggett teams.   We have made the ncaa tourney more times in the A10.  

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My son went to Miami in Oxford. The only easy way there is by horse and carriage. I don’t know why we constantly engage in this SLU to another Mid conference, eg MVC, MAC, Horizon et al. I think everyone’s fine with the A10 and right where we belong at this time. That said, I would expect we’d jump at a chance to get in the Beast or even the AAC. They are moves up with better geography. 

19 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

I understand being wary about being in a conference with public football schools, but remember, the best conference situation we've had in the past 40 years involved that exact situation.  I agree that staying in the A-10 is best for us right now, but I also sometimes consider what moving to the AAC would be like.

I think the best conference situation for SLU was the short lived Great Midwest Conference, which included Marquette, DePaul, Dayton, along with Cincinnati (FBS), Memphis (FBS), UAB (now FBS).  

C-USA was strong, but a bit unwieldy with its de facto Rodeo and NASCAR Divisions.  Sure it was good to play Louisville and even Houston again, not so much some of the others that came along from the old Metro.  Tulane in New Orleans was always a good road trip, going back to the Metro days.  Plus, when SLU was in the Metro, Tulane was one team that the Ekker Era Billikens could sometimes beat.

cgeldmacher likes this

4 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

What was so good about the c-usa days?  We made the tourney twice with the claggett teams.   We have made the ncaa tourney more times in the A10.  

Agreed.  Having been an Ekker Era Metro Conference survivor, I was a bit concerned at the time, from the SLU standpoint (of course) when C-USA formed from a de facto merger of the Great Midwest (sans then snubbed Dayton) and the Metro (sans then snubbed VCU).

There is a lot of assumptions here, namely that the hierarchy within mid major conferences of the A10 being stronger than the MAC will continue, particularly when the MAC has stepped up the salaries and facilities and makes more money on its TV contract. As great as what the SLU program is by joining the MAC of course it would make it stronger. 

From what I understand the A10 has a policy of no longer considering Midwest additions at this point so you could find yourself on an island if Dayton left but its tough to say at this point.

18 minutes ago, Kit-Cat said:

There is a lot of assumptions here, namely that the hierarchy within mid major conferences of the A10 being stronger than the MAC will continue, particularly when the MAC has stepped up the salaries and facilities and makes more money on its TV contract. As great as what the SLU program is by joining the MAC of course it would make it stronger. 

From what I understand the A10 has a policy of no longer considering Midwest additions at this point so you could find yourself on an island if Dayton left but its tough to say at this point.

And you’re making a lot of assumptions that the MAC will be that much better if they raise salaries and make improvements to facilities. You still need talent. Just stop trolling. SLU isn’t going to join the MAC. Move along.

slufanskip likes this

54 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

I'm confident SLU is not even considering the MAC.  There is no there there.

It's pretty much A10, unless the never ending saga of SLU to the Big East actually happened, which does not even appear to be on the horizon now. 

Assuming SLU is in the A10 for the forseeable future, I think the better option would be to expand the A10 by 2 schools, Loyola Chicago being one, perhaps Belmont in trendy Nashville the other.  If there was to be expansion, however, the A10 power centers would probably demand at least one of the newcomers to be on the Eastern Seaboard.  I would take Loyola Chicago ahead of Belmont, if that was the choice.

The AAC (American) would be the next possibility for any move.  But I am wary of SLU being linked with all those public, FBS football playing schools.  SLU has been there, done that.

I have advocated SLU to the AAC since they added Wichita St. I've thought St. Louis and Dayton would add more depth to AAC basketball to offset the loss of UConn.

I've touted SLU for the MAC because if there was any one school that COULD make a difference outside of P6s for the MAC it SLU w/ UIC combo. The MAC could get better in basketball to where it would make a difference (regular 2 bid 6ed. The Horizon League 10 years ago had Butler, Loyola and Valpo. Now it has IUPUI, IPWF and Robert Morris. MVC has lost Creighton and Wichita St to become a solid 1 bid league. Transfer rules make it easier than ever to build a NCAA tournament team overnight.

Buffalo was a 6 seed in the 2019 tournament out of the MAC so its not like the conference you are in holds back a program's development like it once did.

2 minutes ago, Kit-Cat said:

I have advocated SLU to the AAC since they added Wichita St. I've thought St. Louis and Dayton would add more depth to AAC basketball to offset the loss of UConn.

I've touted SLU for the MAC because if there was any one school that COULD make a difference outside of P6s for the MAC it SLU w/ UIC combo. The MAC could get better in basketball to where it would make a difference (regular 2 bid 6ed. The Horizon League 10 years ago had Butler, Loyola and Valpo. Now it has IUPUI, IPWF and Robert Morris. MVC has lost Creighton and Wichita St to become a solid 1 bid league. Transfer rules make it easier than ever to build a NCAA tournament team overnight.

Buffalo was a 6 seed in the 2019 tournament out of the MAC so its not like the conference you are in holds back a program's development like it once did.

One team being a 6 seed one year doesn’t mean the conference wouldn’t hold us back. There’s a saying about a blind squirrel finding a nut. The A10 has had multiple Final Four teams. Dayton would’ve been a 1-seed last year. And you want us to get excited because Buffalo once earned a 6-seed? Seriously? C’mon dude.

2 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

So SLU should leave a 2/3 bid league to join a one bid league with lower salaries and less talent?  No thanks.

Not to mention, we aren’t paying Travis Ford whatever it is we’re paying him (I’m fairly sure it’s gotta be 7-figures), just to join the MAC. We coulda just kept Crews if that was our plan.

13 minutes ago, Kit-Cat said:

you've read numerous posts here talking about the importance of like thinking schools, i.e. catholic / private schools with mainly just basketball as their main sports.   so obviously you've ignored that by now switching gears to the aac which is loaded with large public schools predominately all with football programs.  

i cant help but wonder if "kit-cat" is really short for a student or dense alum of the dreaded mi$$ouri kit cat$.   please leave and never come back

1 minute ago, Box and Won said:

When asking if a conference would be a better fit for SLU than the A10, first ask, "Does this conference typically earn at least three NCAA tournament bids per year?"  If the answer is no, then...

giphy.gif

The best part of that gif is: without the text, you wouldn’t be able to tell if was waving someone along...or if somebody just farted. Think about it.

Just now, Box and Won said:

When asking if a conference would be a better fit for SLU than the A10, first ask, "Does this conference typically earn at least three NCAA tournament bids per year?"  If the answer is no, then...

giphy.gif

Exactly.  The best chance in being in a 3 bid league outside of the P5, Big East or AAC is staying where we are.  Grant was a perennial NCAA coach his first time through the A10 and appears to be on that track again.  We believe we're on that track.  There are at least five programs that have the potential to fill the third spot.

Box and Won likes this

1 hour ago, Kit-Cat said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA

LETS JOIN THE SUMMIT LEAGUE BOYS IT COULD BE A TEN BID LEAGUE IF ALL THE TEAMS IMPROVE DRASTICALLY AND ARENT TERRIBLE PROGRAMS FOR THE FIRST TIME IN A BILLION YEARS

THE MAC IS A LAUGHINGSTOCK. LITERALLY THE WHOLE COUNTRY LAUGHS AT YOUR WEDNESDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL.

5 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA

LETS JOIN THE SUMMIT LEAGUE BOYS IT COULD BE A TEN BID LEAGUE IF ALL THE TEAMS IMPROVE DRASTICALLY AND ARENT TERRIBLE PROGRAMS FOR THE FIRST TIME IN A BILLION YEARS

THE MAC IS A LAUGHINGSTOCK. LITERALLY THE WHOLE COUNTRY LAUGHS AT YOUR WEDNESDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL.

Call me a skeptic but this poster shows up out of nowhere to post about a controversial topic. He's actually advocated for SLU to the AAC. News flash: Nobody gives a fuok about what conference SLU could be in outside of SLU fans and SLU haters. Curious where he lands on that spectrum.

3 hours ago, Reinert310 said:

You guys do realize that he created this thread to intentionally try create these types of reactions, don’t you? We’re not joining the MAC. Just ignore it. He’s trolling you guys. Getting upset is him winning. You’re giving him what he wants. Just let it go and let’s talk about how excited we are for this season. It’s not worth it to reply in this thread.

1 hour ago, Reinert310 said:

And you’re making a lot of assumptions that the MAC will be that much better if they raise salaries and make improvements to facilities. You still need talent. Just stop trolling. SLU isn’t going to join the MAC. Move along.

One team being a 6 seed one year doesn’t mean the conference wouldn’t hold us back. There’s a saying about a blind squirrel finding a nut. The A10 has had multiple Final Four teams. Dayton would’ve been a 1-seed last year. And you want us to get excited because Buffalo once earned a 6-seed? Seriously? C’mon dude.

Not to mention, we aren’t paying Travis Ford whatever it is we’re paying him (I’m fairly sure it’s gotta be 7-figures), just to join the MAC. We coulda just kept Crews if that was our plan.

The best part of that gif is: without the text, you wouldn’t be able to tell if was waving someone along...or if somebody just farted. Think about it.

-interesting

2 hours ago, Kit-Cat said:

A single 6 seed from your conference is not super impressive to our fan base.

Remember your audience....

SLU was a 4 seed in 2013 and was a 5 seed in 2014...

By the way, the MAC is projected to be horrible next year. See the image below from https://www.barttorvik.com/ (A website similar to kenpom.com) For reference, the A10 is shown below...

Switching would 100% ruin our strength of schedule. No thanks!

MAC vs A10.jpg

**** The MAC has 1 team projected to be one spot better than Fordham. The rest of the teams are projected to be worse than Fordham... That's really bad!!