SLU Jersey Number History

Pistol

44 minutes ago, bauman said:

Thanks for the great update and making it, its own thread so we can reference it in the future.

This was part of the motivation here. Seeing the posts about the new players' numbers yesterday, it then took me forever to find the two previous posts I had done about number history.

33 minutes ago, almaman said:

another couple Pistol hours (Days, minutes?) you could do all the other numbers that aren't in current use :)

While I was working on this, I had something at work blow up. Maybe someday...

8 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-thanks Pistol, this is a great resource for the Staff so they don't recruit a player that wants an existing number, we can't have that madness

Anything is possible.

5 minutes ago, AGB91 said:

#22 was worn by one of my favorite Billikens of all time.

David Burns a former Metro Conference POY.

Just us old men remember how great he was. A literal one man team as a senior.

Thanks. Like I said, I only can find rosters going back to the mid-late 80s, so anything before that is helpful and I can fill in over time.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

13 - Andre Lorentsson - Lorentsson is the first to wear 13 since Matt Neufeld a few years ago. Brian Daly, a Majerus-era walk-on, wore it for his two seasons. Femi John immediately preceded Daly with it but only played one season - same for Ruben Cotto immediately before him. Peyton Jacks had it all four seasons as a Soderberg-era walk-on. Before Jacks, a guy named Erwin Claggett wore it. Lorentsson can bring some three-point shooting magic back to this decorated jersey.

That seems like a really long gap.  That's what, like 10 years with no 13s?  This make me wonder if #13 wasn't sort of unofficially retired by Spoon (and perhaps continued by Romar / the AD), but then it was forgotten about later.  Although with 13 scholarship players each year plus a couple of walk-ons, I guess the odds of any one number being taken in a given year are pretty low and #13 is considered unlucky.

Claggs on near the top of my list of guys who should have their #s/jerseys retired or honored or whatever you want to call it.

2 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

That seems like a really long gap.  That's what, like 10 years with no 13s?  This make me wonder if #13 wasn't sort of unofficially retired by Spoon (and perhaps continued by Romar / the AD), but then it was forgotten about later.  Although with 13 scholarship players each year plus a couple of walk-ons, I guess the odds of any one number being taken in a given year are pretty low and #13 is considered unlucky.

Claggs on near the top of my list of guys who should have their #s/jerseys retired or honored or whatever you want to call it.

Yeah, 10 seasons. To my knowledge, there was no unofficial retiring by Spoon or anyone else. There are other numbers that have had similar gaps. 10, for example. And 0 and 1 don't have anyone between the late 80s (maybe ever?) until the early 00s.

2 hours ago, AGB91 said:

#22 was worn by one of my favorite Billikens of all time.

David Burns a former Metro Conference POY.

Just us old men remember how great he was. A literal one man team as a senior.

One of my favorites too. He could come down the floor 1 on 3 and still have them outnumbered.

20 hours ago, Pistol said:

0 - Jordan Goodwin - Marcus Bartley wore 0 in his two seasons at SLU. Before him, Dwayne Polk wore 00, which shows up as 0 most places online. I'm not aware of anyone wearing it before him. So whether or not 0 ends up getting retired with Goodwin, he definitely owns this number.

Keith Carter wore 0 in 2012 before he peaced out.

• 2 months later...

Adding the walk-ons:

4 - Phillip Russell grabbed #4 after a one-year hiatus; Dion Wiley in his lone season two years ago. Before him, it was Milik Yarbrough in 2014-2015 (he wore 1 the following season as a sophomore). Dustin Maguire wore it for his two seasons at SLU (2006-2008). Josh Fisher was #4 from his sophomore through senior seasons; he wore 11 as a freshman while Dave Fergerson still had #4 tied up as a senior. Fergerson appears to be the first to have worn it since at least 1975 (the official site doesn't list rosters before 1975-1976 at this time).

30 - Brandon Courtney wore 12 last year, but Linssen grabbed it for this season. The last player to wear 30 was Jake Barnett for three seasons, ending in 2013-2014. Izik Ohanon wore the number for three seasons, as well (2002-2005). Matt Baniak had #30 for his four year career, ending in 2001. 30 spent the 1995-1996 season with freshman Donnie Adkins right after two good years with David Robinson. Brian Smith had it right before him, wearing it for his freshman and sophomore years (1991-1993) before leaving. Vincent Smith had it as a sophomore in 1989-1990 but wore #5 as a freshman. A decade earlier, Kevin Harrington wore it for one season as a sophomore, preceded by Craig Shaver in his final two seasons (1977-1979). Robert Mason had it when Shaver arrived in 1975-1976.

Edit: I was reminded that Dion Wiley wore #4 two seasons ago.