Assistant Coach Bailey

16 minutes ago, hmart23 said:

That's pretty funny. I've only heard good stuff so wonder if he did a little growing up. 

1 minute ago, BilliesBy40 said:

So many humorous pieces to this post. Ranting about how someone was as a middle schooler is almost as bad as saying a future NBA player wasn’t that good.

I am ABSOLUTELY the type of person to hold grudges, ESPECIALLY when it involves competition. 1 time I was bowling a perfect game through 8 frames. Before the 9th frame, 1 of my best friends changed my bowling name on the screen without me knowing it. I had open 9th. He’s still 1 of my best friends...but little does he know, I’ve been maniacally plotting my revenge ever since AHAHAHAHA (evil laugh)! P.S. most of my post about Ahearn was meant sarcastically. He played D1 ball. I never did. But I really did think he was a punk back then. But it was middle school. Actually kinda makes my proud that I can now brag that a guy I used to play against (and beat) is now coaching in the NBA.  😉

hmart23 likes this

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahearn was an azz in high school. Multiple reports of him being a locker room cancer. When we were recruiting him I backed Soderberg not offering because he was such a headcase. Ahearn will never get outworked though. He's tenacious. He'll be a HC in under 3 seasons.

10 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Ahearn was an azz in high school. Multiple reports of him being a locker room cancer. When we were recruiting him I backed Soderberg not offering because he was such a headcase. Ahearn will never get outworked though. He's tenacious. He'll be a HC in under 3 seasons.

I won’t go so far as to say he’s an ass (not saying you’re wrong either Torch, but the extent that I ever knew him was on the court). I just remember he whined constantly, he flopped constantly, and had this attitude of “I deserve every call and every break because I’m Blake Ahearn.” (Side note: I was probably even worse, because I acted the same way, and wasn’t as talented as Blake Ahearn. If I punched another player in the face (hypothetically, I never did that...that you know of) I would have screamed at the ref that he was a joke. Ah... the arrogance of youth. Lol.) But still, since we all know that 2 wrongs don’t make a right, and since I’m the one writing this post, I will stick by my original accusation that Blake Ahearn was a punk in middle school. I don’t care if the Grizzlies GM, himself, reads it. The real truth of Blake Ahearn’s  past finally needs to come out into the open. 

(Side Note 2: If didn’t immediately pick up on the obvious sarcasm and hyperbole at the end of this post...I just don’t know what to tell you.)😉

Box and Won likes this

On 6/20/2020 at 3:13 PM, Reinert310 said:

I know nothing about his coaching ability, but Blake Ahearn is the WORST! I played against him dozens of times in CYC ball. He thought he was such hit $h!t, but we beat him more than we lost. He wasn’t that good. Obviously, this was when we were in middle school, but he was such a punk. The fact that he has an NBA job makes me physically ill. (Sorry for my rant. Posting online is cheaper than therapy. 😉)

I'm still pissed at a kid named Terrence who pitched for St. Mary Magdalen in the '80s.  He was like six feet tall in fifth grade and threw really hard but had absolutely no control.  Dude drilled me with and my teammates with so many pitches.  I only know his name was Terrence because one of the parents would yell, "Rock and fire, Terrence!" before every pitch.  Every time we'd play against St. Mary Magdalen, I'd be like, "Goddamnit, don't they have anyone else who can pitch besides Terrence?"  I recall yelling at him once from first base that his parents should've named him Terrible instead of Terrence.  People laughed and laughed and laughed.  F-ing Terrence.

This is a long way of saying I totally get where you're coming from.

On 6/20/2020 at 9:15 PM, Reinert310 said:

I won’t go so far as to say he’s an ass (not saying you’re wrong either Torch, but the extent that I ever knew him was on the court). I just remember he whined constantly, he flopped constantly, and had this attitude of “I deserve every call and every break because I’m Blake Ahearn.” (Side note: I was probably even worse, because I acted the same way, and wasn’t as talented as Blake Ahearn. If I punched another player in the face (hypothetically, I never did that...that you know of) I would have screamed at the ref that he was a joke. Ah... the arrogance of youth. Lol.) But still, since we all know that 2 wrongs don’t make a right, and since I’m the one writing this post, I will stick by my original accusation that Blake Ahearn was a punk in middle school. I don’t care if the Grizzlies GM, himself, reads it. The real truth of Blake Ahearn’s  past finally needs to come out into the open. 

(Side Note 2: If didn’t immediately pick up on the obvious sarcasm and hyperbole at the end of this post...I just don’t know what to tell you.)😉

On 6/20/2020 at 10:20 PM, slu72 said:

Blake Ahern will always be remembered as the greatest Billiken who never was a Billiken. The legend lives. Puhleeze let it go! Besides, we got to enjoy watching the f?&$er from Minnesota..,. for awhile anyways. 

All these years we blamed Sodie :)

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

This doesn't exactly fit in this thread, but Frank said on his show today that Tate is being promoted to Associate Head Coach.

Wow, that's interesting. Good for Tate. Did he add whether they're looking for another assistant or are promoting a grad assistant?

there is absolutely no doubt about the worth of corey tate's recruiting talents!   hope he is a billiken forever!  whatever it takes coach ford.   keep corey happy!

dennis_w, Reinert310 and AGB91 like this

Corey has certainly played a big role in landing key local players. 

There is no tactful way to say this, but I hope he gets on a serious diet to bring his weight down.  I would hate to see that affect his life and career as a coach.  Rick Majerus would probably still be with us today, if he had maintained a more reasonable weight.  I would think it is also easier to preach to players about the academic and physical discipline required to be a division 1 player when you walk the talk, and especially in a case like Jimmy Bell, where weight control is a significant issue. 

That said, I am very happy having him on the Billiken coaching staff.

Good decision TF.  Congrats Coach Tate!

This has to be seen as a good thing to local HS coaches and players.  SLU taking care of STL.  Keep bringing in the Goodwins, Hargroves, Thatchs and Collins'   , AHC Tate!

11 minutes ago, Aquinas said:

Corey has certainly played a big role in landing key local players. 

There is no tactful way to say this, but I hope he gets on a serious diet to bring his weight down.  I would hate to see that affect his life and career as a coach.  Rick Majerus would probably still be with us today, if he had maintained a more reasonable weight.  I would think it is also easier to preach to players about the academic and physical discipline required to be a division 1 player when you walk the talk, and especially in a case like Jimmy Bell, where weight control is a significant issue. 

That said, I am very happy having him on the Billiken coaching staff.

Didn’t Coach Tate lose a lot of weight after he hurt his leg? 

16 minutes ago, willie said:

At the end of the year he looked a lot thinner to me

I thought I remembered reading/hearing that his leg injury was a kind of wake up call for him, but my brain has been known to edit history. Does anybody else remember hearing that?

32 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

I thought I remembered reading/hearing that his leg injury was a kind of wake up call for him, but my brain has been known to edit history. Does anybody else remember hearing that?

Here’s the article I remember seeing about it. He had lost 40 lbs as of the writing of article in December following an 85% tear of his quad. He had been told he would gain weight during recovery and ended up doing the opposite. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/serious-leg-injury-limits-but-doesnt-stop-corey-tate/article_d496f57c-adde-56d7-a047-fe4ce7a8d013.amp.html

Coach Tate's recruiting pull is undeniable, documented, and priceless.  We also know that Coach Ford relies on his assistants to break down future opponents, so let's give Coach Tate ample credit there. 

What about his X's and O's?  How big a voice is he on the bench?  What does he handle for Ford, guards, bigs, offense, defense?  Looking for someone who might know, not speculation.

34 minutes ago, rgbilliken said:

Here’s the article I remember seeing about it. He had lost 40 lbs as of the writing of article in December following an 85% tear of his quad. He had been told he would gain weight during recovery and ended up doing the opposite. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/serious-leg-injury-limits-but-doesnt-stop-corey-tate/article_d496f57c-adde-56d7-a047-fe4ce7a8d013.amp.html

Thanks @rgbilliken! That’s the article I was thinking of.

rgbilliken likes this

19 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Coach Tate's recruiting pull is undeniable, documented, and priceless.  We also know that Coach Ford relies on his assistants to break down future opponents, so let's give Coach Tate ample credit there. 

What about his X's and O's?  How big a voice is he on the bench?  What does he handle for Ford, guards, bigs, offense, defense?  Looking for someone who might know, not speculation.

He coaches the bigs.