Assistant Coach Bailey

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just read the local paper’s article on Bailey hiring at USC. Martin made it sound like Bailey would be used to recruit the MW. If none of St Louis HS stars has an offer from USC, I’d guess they will be forthcoming shortly. 

Just read the local paper’s article on Bailey hiring at USC. Martin made it sound like Bailey would be used to recruit the MW. If none of St Louis HS stars has an offer from USC, I’d guess they will be forthcoming shortly. 

7 hours ago, Pistol said:

Breaking down our offers and confirmed interests into regions, here's what we've got for 2021-2023:

St. Louis - 15
NY - 9
DMV - 8 (Using a generous description of the area and going down the coast in VA)
Chicago - 5
Philadelphia - 4
Florida - 4
Alabama/Mississippi - 3
Texas/Oklahoma - 3
KC - 2
South Carolina - 2
And then 1 each in California, Arizona, Indiana, Ohio

The A10 Cities/areas make sense. NY, DMV, and Philly.  I'm surprised at the dearth of IN (1 total), no WI, no KY and no TN (Memphis).  Maybe that's just the current state of things ie players not matching what we need or interested.   Those are normal BBall hotspots.   Coach Ford has certainly garnered enough recruiting credibility to get the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps someone that has Chicago and other connections is a focus.

I know a certain dude that can hit 3s  and coached in the ACC and Big East.......toot toot Diener Express hop on.  Also Chicago, KC, WI connections and maybe some from VA as well.

Major Majerus likes this

I really think we need a guy with East Coast connections. Ford said that was important for an A-10 school when he hired Macon. Perhaps a former assistant at a Big East or A-10 school or maybe an up and coming assistant at a place like Siena or Hofstra.

Head coaches don't tend to rehire previous assistants that often. I was looking at his staffs at previous schools and saw names like Butch Pierre (head coach, NW Florida State JC), Bill Grier (assistant, Colorado), Joey Biggs (DBO, Illinois), James Dickey (retired), Richie Riley (head coach, South Alabama). But none of them would make sense, as most are too old or have higher-profile jobs.

We don't need a local guy. We have someone young and hungry covering a lot of ground in Stuen. I agree with ACE that an East Coast guy would be great and someone with both EC and Chicago ties would be ideal.

Honestly, he might be a little green, but someone like Christian Nunez could make sense. Bump the other assistants up a notch and make him the next one up. He's a current grad assistant but he's an NYC guy. Coached at Iona Prep in White Plains, where he's from, and was a D-III assistant at his alma mater (Farmingdale State) after graduating.

There's also Chris Lowe. Same position as Nunez on the staff now. He played for Ford at UMass and then overseas for quite a while so he knows the international landscape. Also green, this is his first coaching step and he's been here a couple seasons. He's from Mount Vernon, NY, which borders the Bronx to the north.

I don't know a ton about them or their skill sets but one of them or Michael Wilson (DBO) might be ready to move up a spot. I don't think Ford would have 3 grad assistants on staff if he didn't think one or more of them is ready for a move in the near future.

Bottom line is I'm not opposed to promoting from within and trust Ford's judgment.

RUBillsFan, Compton, Zink and 1 other like this

Having the most years as a grad assistant, having had the DI (even A10) player experience, and having played in both the G League and abroad seems to check a lot of boxes for Lowe. 

Just a huge disparity in experience compared to Bailey's 15 years at 4 different programs before coming to SLU. 

We’ve lost two veteran, likely well-compensated D1 assistants  in the past two years. On paper, Ford Stuen is equivalent to a budget signing. If we were to promote someone like Lowe; it would be a worrisome signal to me that our budget for assistants/staff has fallen well below what it was just two years ago.

I am a guy who has argued that the basketball program has been getting whatever funding they have requested. I am not sure that will be the case with COVID. Budgets will probably be cut in all university departments. It wouldn't shock me if they don't replace him,maybe just move Ray . 

32 minutes ago, willie said:

I am a guy who has argued that the basketball program has been getting whatever funding they have requested. I am not sure that will be the case with COVID. Budgets will probably be cut in all university departments. It wouldn't shock me if they don't replace him,maybe just move Ray . 

I don't like this but I agree it's probable. Don't forget our athletics  hating BoT and worthless President.

Zink and AGB91 like this

1 hour ago, willie said:

Really good point Willie and we don't even know if we will be allowed to fill the house for home games so that is a lot of lost revenue.

I cannot get mad if SLU has to cut the basketball budget if there are restrictions on attendance and how many games will be played.

31 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Everything I’ve heard indicates he’ll be an NBA head coach sooner rather than later.

I know nothing about his coaching ability, but Blake Ahearn is the WORST! I played against him dozens of times in CYC ball. He thought he was such hit $h!t, but we beat him more than we lost. He wasn’t that good. Obviously, this was when we were in middle school, but he was such a punk. The fact that he has an NBA job makes me physically ill. (Sorry for my rant. Posting online is cheaper than therapy. 😉)

1 hour ago, Reinert310 said:

I know nothing about his coaching ability, but Blake Ahearn is the WORST! I played against him dozens of times in CYC ball. He thought he was such hit $h!t, but we beat him more than we lost. He wasn’t that good. Obviously, this was when we were in middle school, but he was such a punk. The fact that he has an NBA job makes me physically ill. (Sorry for my rant. Posting online is cheaper than therapy. 😉)

That's pretty funny. I've only heard good stuff so wonder if he did a little growing up. 

1 hour ago, Reinert310 said:

So many humorous pieces to this post. Ranting about how someone was as a middle schooler is almost as bad as saying a future NBA player wasn’t that good.