Assistant Coach Bailey

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Coach for all you did in building the program. Seriously, good luck, but my question is, why take a step down to South Carolina? 

7 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

Thanks Coach for all you did in building the program. Seriously, good luck, but my question is, why take a step down to South Carolina? 

Do we think that it’s probably a pay increase?

8 minutes ago, Quickdraw said:

Just saw that Will Bailey has been hired to be an assistant coach to Frank Martin at South Carolina.

That's a bummer.  After listening to Ford Stuen's interview on the House that Rick Build podcast, you got the idea that this staff was really cohesive and Stuen really talked up Bailey (and Tate) as great ACs.

At the same time, it says something good about our program when our ACs are being picked off by "Power" schools (first Macon and now Bailey) and I'm sure helps in hiring that ACs know they have potential to advance their careers at SLU.

I trust Ford to make a good hire for the replacement.  All of his hires so far seem to have worked out fairly well.  Hiring Stuen which kind of seemed like nepotism on the surface looks like a fantastic hire now in hindsight.

Best of luck to Coach Bailey in the future.

Any ideas of who might be added to replace him?  I wonder if Ray Giacoletti slides over the "assistant to the head coach" to just a normal AC.  Seems like with Tate sidelined with the broken leg and unable to do as much recruiting, Giacoletti ended up functioning more like a normal AC in that role this past season anyways. 

Compton and Zink like this

it has always been my understanding that giacoletti was a very good x's and o's guy and practice coach but a sub par recruiter.   if that is a true label, not sure i want him on the recruiting trail now.   would seem his current job duties are perfect for his skills.   

AGB91 likes this

6 minutes ago, Slowry said:

Go grab Lowery from K-State.  We could really lock down STL in recruiting.  

-that's interesting, nice thought .........................................and we don't need 20,000 words on Lowrey's history with Weber

35 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-that's interesting, nice thought .........................................and we don't need 20,000 words on Lowrey's history with Weber

Lowery would be an excellent hire, but he’s not leaving K-State for anything less than a head coaching give...and even then, it would have to be the perfect head coaching gig. 

Regarding questions here and in the other thread about Bailey's recruiting impact, he has connections to Chicago (hometown, Chicago State assistant), the Southeast (assistant at ETSU and UAB, where he also played), and Philly (La Salle assistant).

We have a lot of offers out to those general areas. I'm not sure which ones are his recruits and which might be the work of Stuen or another coach. But we might have a couple dozen players overall in the 2021-2022 classes that he might've been the lead recruiter on. I'll be tracking closely, as always, to see if some of those names seem to get stale with SLU or if South Carolina suddenly starts offering some of the same guys.

1 hour ago, Reinert310 said:

Lowery would be an excellent hire, but he’s not leaving K-State for anything less than a head coaching give...and even then, it would have to be the perfect head coaching gig. 

He might just be joining Weber on the way out of the Little Apple in a couple of years as they continue in a downward spiral in the Big 12.

3 minutes ago, bauman said:

He might just be joining Weber on the way out of the Little Apple in a couple of years as they continue in a downward spiral in the Big 12.

I mean, it’s been all of 1 year since they made the tournament. Seems pretty premature to say that. 2 years ago when they lost in the 1st round, their best player (Dean Wade) was injured and didn’t play. Could they go downhill? Yes. But 1 bad year and a few transfers doesn’t guarantee that.

22 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

I mean, it’s been all of 1 year since they made the tournament. Seems pretty premature to say that. 2 years ago when they lost in the 1st round, their best player (Dean Wade) was injured and didn’t play. Could they go downhill? Yes. But 1 bad year and a few transfers doesn’t guarantee that.

And, that year, they shared the Big 12 regular season title. The first time Kansas hadn’t at least shared the title in over a decade. 

So what do we need in a replacement?  Another recruiter with Chicago ties?

It appears so far, Coach Ford has made quality hires on his staff.  The recruiting results continue. 

25 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

So what do we need in a replacement?  Another recruiter with Chicago ties?

It appears so far, Coach Ford has made quality hires on his staff.  The recruiting results continue. 

I think we need to stay involved in Chicago, yes. I'm assuming Bailey was the lead guy there.

Based on Stuen's profile and recent interview, he seems to be primarily working Kentucky, Florida, Texas/Oklahoma, the Northeast, and the international market.

Breaking down our offers and confirmed interests into regions, here's what we've got for 2021-2023:

St. Louis - 15
NY - 9
DMV - 8 (Using a generous description of the area and going down the coast in VA)
Chicago - 5
Philadelphia - 4
Florida - 4
Alabama/Mississippi - 3
Texas/Oklahoma - 3
KC - 2
South Carolina - 2
And then 1 each in California, Arizona, Indiana, Ohio

So I would think Bailey is responsible for most of the Chicago, Philly, and Alabama/Mississippi recruits. Stuen made it sound like they were collectively keeping Van Macon's contacts in NY going. Tate is the lead in STL but they're all working it thoroughly. I'm not sure who's taking the lead on Baltimore-DC-Virginia but we've been active there.

Zink likes this

37 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Would this be a good time to make an offer to Walker, formerly UI AC and SLU alum. He’d likely have plenty of contacts in CHI and the rest of the MW. 

I really like the idea of Jamal Walker for that spot. He played with Corey Frazier and is well connected with the Beagles. Yes Corey Tate is too but what a great 1-2 local punch that would be.

Jamall Walker was just hired by Grand Canyon in April.  Would it be out of the ordinary or reflect poorly on him if he left a few months after taking the job there?  I also wonder how much he's getting paid at GCU and if SLU could come close to matching that.  GCU (for profit) is known to pump money into their basketball program as a way to make their fake university seem more legitiimate (don't get @Pistol started on it).

I like the idea of a former Billiken player as an AC and I think a lot of others do as well.  In that regard, I wonder if we're overrating Walker as a good candidate.  First, the timing may not be right - see above.  Second, Walker has been an AC for a while and has rarely been a part of winning programs or successful HCs.  Losing seasons at Ball State under Tim Buckley, Brads underachieving final year at SLU, a middling year at Murray State under Billy Kennedy, and some success with Groce at Ohio, but than failure at IU under Groce.  Third, it seems like his recruiting area is St. Louis and we have that covered very well with Tate already.

2 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

Jamall Walker was just hired by Grand Canyon in April.  Would it be out of the ordinary or reflect poorly on him if he left a few months after taking the job there?  I also wonder how much he's getting paid at GCU and if SLU could come close to matching that.  GCU (for profit) is known to pump money into their basketball program as a way to make their fake university seem more legitiimate (don't get @Pistol started on it).

I like the idea of a former Billiken player as an AC and I think a lot of others do as well.  In that regard, I wonder if we're overrating Walker as a good candidate.  First, the timing may not be right - see above.  Second, Walker has been an AC for a while and has rarely been a part of winning programs or successful HCs.  Losing seasons at Ball State under Tim Buckley, Brads underachieving final year at SLU, a middling year at Murray State under Billy Kennedy, and some success with Groce at Ohio, but than failure at IU under Groce.  Third, it seems like his recruiting area is St. Louis and we have that covered very well with Tate already.

Indeed don't get me started on GCU.

You're also asking the question I was about to ask. He's new to the job there so the timing is bad. I'm also not sure how assistant contracts work. I'd think SLU is a more attractive job for him but it might not be a clean break right now.