GUY PHILLIPS RETIRING

AGB91

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the 8 year old games at the Y are typically more about trying to get the kids to dribble and deciding who's ball it is.  i can see gus handling that maybe.  even then he would probably sarcastically insult some kid and have some dad threatening to beat his azz

4 hours ago, Cowboy said:

-I think our highlights are poor, we NEVER show a controversial call by the refs or what the refs would be reviewing at the table

This pisses me off all the time. I can't speak to controversial replays (I suspect they're not allowed by some authority somewhere) but prolonged tv viewing by the zebras that is never explained. If I'm sitting home on a Saturday afternoon watching the big 10, big east, big whatever, and there's a play that requires a monitor review, one of the whistle jockeys will always cross the floor and give the talking heads a quick explanation for the folks viewing at home. Now I realize tv is where the $$ is, but when I'm a paying customer who went to the trouble to actually go to the game, I don't think it's asking too much that I also get an explanation. End of rant.

16 minutes ago, White Pelican said:

This pisses me off all the time. I can't speak to controversial replays (I suspect they're not allowed by some authority somewhere) but prolonged tv viewing by the zebras that is never explained. If I'm sitting home on a Saturday afternoon watching the big 10, big east, big whatever, and there's a play that requires a monitor review, one of the whistle jockeys will always cross the floor and give the talking heads a quick explanation for the folks viewing at home. Now I realize tv is where the $$ is, but when I'm a paying customer who went to the trouble to actually go to the game, I don't think it's asking too much that I also get an explanation. End of rant.

-I was told by our ADept that what goes on the video boards is up to us

SLU_Lax likes this

19 hours ago, Cowboy said:

-I was told by our ADept that what goes on the video boards is up to us

It absolutely is. The refs can complain to the conference though if they feel offended by something. So a lot of places don't show reviews as to not 'show up' the refs. 

A few years ago I attended a church parish trivia night where Phillips was the host MC.  He asked if there were any doctors present and I foolishly raised my hand.  He then insulted me and all physicians  trying to use his sarcastic humor.  Needless to say, I am not a fan of Mr. Phillips.  I am sure that there are others whom he has encountered that feel the same 

billiken_roy likes this

I still remember he non-funny commercial break/half-time insults to volunteers/participants trying to "win" free oil changes from Jim Trenary under the St. Charles water tower or a case of water from Shop N Save - yes these examples show my age...

Guy Phillips jumped on the Spoonball bandwagon and has been tormenting us ever since with his unprofessional PA work and inflated sense of celebrity...with the exception of the occasional reprieve when he's got something more important to do (like annoy Mizzou and Illini fans at the Braggin Rights game).

Give the gig to someone who will actually take it seriously and take pride in his work.

AGB91 likes this