GUY PHILLIPS RETIRING

AGB91

Joe McDonald killed the hockey program.  After that,Ron Ekker and/or Joe Strauss ran it.  Ekker was fired and Grawer brought in so I don't recall  who woudl get the D2 honor.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don’t know if it’s fair to blame any athletic director for talks of going D2. Father O’Connell was the president of the U pushing that direction. If my memory clock is correct Charles Schroeder was the Guy in charge of athletics around that time. A really good guy Larry Preo was around that time as AD. 

13 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Joe McDonald killed the hockey program.  After that,Ron Ekker and/or Joe Strauss ran it.  Ekker was fired and Grawer brought in so I don't recall  who woudl get the D2 honor.

What killed the hockey program was the Solomon family getting into financial problems.  This led to them not giving us the arena for free along with several other perks.  We simply could not shoulder that loss of financial support.  I am sure there were other contributing issues but this one was a big one.

It looks like i’m in the minority here but Ive never understood the Guy Phillips hate. I’m actually a pretty big fan of his voice - it’s a good commentator voice imo.  Are people upset that he’s not as informed on basketball or the Bills as they want him to be?  

29 minutes ago, Fraz42 said:

It looks like i’m in the minority here but Ive never understood the Guy Phillips hate. I’m actually a pretty big fan of his voice - it’s a good commentator voice imo.  Are people upset that he’s not as informed on basketball or the Bills as they want him to be?  

This man has been doing the games for years.  Unless he has a brain deficiency or he just doesn't give a damn he could have picked up all this info and improved his skill just by sitting on his ass during the games.  But, alas he has not.  By the way, no one has ever to my knowledge ever degraded his voice. 

billiken_roy likes this

9 hours ago, Fraz42 said:

Hi Gus

BilliesBy40 likes this

10 hours ago, Fraz42 said:

Forget the fact he's generally clueless on what's going on in the game. Let's start  with the really easy and obvious.

Would you consider the ability to pronounce the names of and correctly identify the players on the team you announce for a requirement to be an effective PA announcer? 

Serious note - these kind of "retirements" are happening at a lot of radio stations around the country. Revenues are way down, audience is way down, etc.

Lets be honest here, Gus got fired-retired. 

10 hours ago, Fraz42 said:

just think in four years, gus never got the first name of our power forward right on rickma's teams.   who would have thought we had the retired boston red sox right fielder playing power forward.

second, how many times over the last 20+ years has there been a happening on the floor, the fans dont know what is going on, the ref is even at the scorer's table explaining and gus still cant explain to the fans correctly or doesnt even try and leaves us in the dark.  

there is no excuse for the mispronunciation of the names.   even the visitors should be right.   would it kill him during warmups to bring a visitors assistant coach or even a manager over and go through the name?   this is just lazy and frankly an insult to the fans that he takes us that much forgranted.

his attempts at humor fall flat in most scenarios.   sometimes they are just mean.   gus is the guy that you avoid at parties because he thinks he is funnier than he really is.

it just astounds me that he has been allowed to keep this job or at least hasnt been lectured on what his job is and how to improve.   he is no more knowledgeable today then he was 20+ years ago when he started.  again, an insult to the fans.

the PA announcer should really not even be noticed.   unfortunately as far as gus, he is always noticed for all the f ups.   

22 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

second, how many times over the last 20+ years has there been a happening on the floor, the fans dont know what is going on, the ref is even at the scorer's table explaining and gus still cant explain to the fans correctly or doesnt even try and leaves us in the dark.  

THIS!

I’m surprised he hasn’t been sacked yet. As the Sports Illustrated article stated, one of the reasons Ford is a master recruiter is that he’s a perfectionist when it comes to a recruit’s or player’s overall experience...an all-out game-day experience translating to what the recruit sees on the campus visit...it’s no accident the jerseys look 10 times better now than they ever have with the arch on the back, in line with Ford’s assertion from Day 1 that this is the city’s team. The video during and after the game is now on par with the hockey team, which is up there nationally. Guarantee that’s a big tool for recruiting...

1 hour ago, JMM28 said:

Serious note - these kind of "retirements" are happening at a lot of radio stations around the country. Revenues are way down, audience is way down, etc.

Lets be honest here, Gus got fired-retired. 

Not just in media.  

40 minutes ago, VeniceMenace said:

I’m surprised he hasn’t been sacked yet. As the Sports Illustrated article stated, one of the reasons Ford is a master recruiter is that he’s a perfectionist when it comes to a recruit’s or player’s overall experience...an all-out game-day experience translating to what the recruit sees on the campus visit...it’s no accident the jerseys look 10 times better now than they ever have with the arch on the back, in line with Ford’s assertion from Day 1 that this is the city’s team. The video during and after the game is now on par with the hockey team, which is up there nationally. Guarantee that’s a big tool for recruiting...

Just listen to Ford Stuen talk about recruiting on the podcast. This generation of players care about that stuff. It’s about giving them a p5 experience from the best food, the best gear, the best activities on the road and having their names correctly announced goes with that. 

VeniceMenace and RUBillsFan like this

1 hour ago, VeniceMenace said:

-do you mean replays? 

Phillips has been a basketball ref for most of his adult life.  He knows basketball.  I'm convinced he never gave a damn at all about his performance as a PA announcer.  SLU has let him mail it in for over 20 years.  Mind boggling.

13 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-I think our highlights are poor, we NEVER show a controversial call by the refs or what the refs would be reviewing at the table

I always figured that was a conscious decision not to incite a riot and figured it came from the conference if anything.   Having said that, I've never been to a college basketball game where the Billikens aren't playing....

14 hours ago, thetorch said:

Phillips has been a basketball ref for most of his adult life.  He knows basketball.  I'm convinced he never gave a damn at all about his performance as a PA announcer.  SLU has let him mail it in for over 20 years.  Mind boggling.

Really?......you'd think he'd know what a pa announcer should sound like then......

15 hours ago, thetorch said:

this really surprises me as he seems clueless imo.   

15 hours ago, thetorch said:

I picture Gus whistling for fouls, giving the scorers table the wrong number consistently, and fouling out a kid that hasn't played all night.