GUY PHILLIPS RETIRING

AGB91

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-why would he voluntarily give up his SLU gig? he can do a poor job, have no consequences and collect whatever check

and he obviously doesnt put any preparation time into his work.   just sits down and wings it.   been sucking for almost 30 years and nothing has ever happened to him.   he's got it made. 

26 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

and he obviously doesnt put any preparation time into his work.   just sits down and wings it.   been sucking for almost 30 years and nothing has ever happened to him.   he's got it made. 

One thing Roy when he finally steps down we won’t forget him, blue font

I would like to see Andre do that position and some of the other things he does.

11 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

It’s truly amazing the SLU Athletic Department could continue reading consensus complaints (and they do read the board) about Guy and not do a damn thing about it. It speaks volumes.

Honestly, the complaints are very superficial. I would commend them for not firing him on the basis that we do not like him.

That said, if our complaints were couched as an inability to properly state an African American’s name as compared to white player’s name, then that would be a good reason.

2 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Honestly, the complaints are very superficial. I would commend them for not firing him on the basis that we do not like him.

That said, if our complaints were couched as an inability to properly state an African American’s name as compared to white player’s name, then that would be a good reason.

Not really. He has a public-facing role for the University and posters on here point out case-after-case of poor performance. Should the AD verify the poor performance before making a change? Of course.

2 hours ago, AnkielBreakers said:

if our complaints were couched as an inability to properly state an African American’s name as compared to white player’s name, then that would be a good reason.

Guy play the race card?       He'd begin with "On your, mark..."

6 hours ago, AnkielBreakers said:

He's a PA announcer. You think not being able to pronounce the name of a player he sees 30+ times a year or the inability to provide accurate information during the game are just superficial complaints? 

Regarding your second statement why would that be any better a reason? 

thetorch and BilliesBy40 like this

25 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

He's a PA announcer. You think not being able to pronounce the name of a player he sees 30+ times a year or the inability to provide accurate information during the game are just superficial complaints? 

Regarding your second statement why would that be any better a reason? 

It’s not just the pronunciations, at Billiken fanfest Jacobs gets a bucket and we’re told it’s a bucket by French. What, they all look alike?

slufanskip and AGB91 like this

He mispronounces names, he makes poor taste jokes about players, and he often gives out wrong information during play.  A public  announcer should not even be an after thought of the fans in the stands - he/she provides information and that is all.  He is an embarrassment to the program and that is enough to have him  replaced - it is not his radio show.

My favorite Gus description  of multiple player changes from the opposition team is “a bunch of guys”.

Gus does this a lot and thinks it is funny because people laugh.

Messing up Dwayne Evans name really got under my skin.

10 hours ago, VeniceMenace said:

It’s not just the pronunciations, at Billiken fanfest Jacobs gets a bucket and we’re told it’s a bucket by French. What, they all look alike?

That's what I meant by provide accurate information. I didn't have the time or the inclination to list all 34,762 separate instances lol. 

VeniceMenace likes this

21 hours ago, slufan13 said:

I hadn't been this excited about Billiken basketball in a long time. Guy is only behind Jim Crews and Jim Platt for worse members of the Billiken community all time

Before that wasn't Larry Albus the one who wanted to save money and have us go Division two; that had to be the low point that made Rich Grawer look like a savior