Kevin Lisch Calls it a Career

Thanks for sharing this.  22 years here at SLU --so far!!-- and Kevin remains my all-time favorite player @ SLU.  (He unfortunately did not have much help in his time here...) Great guy, tremendous competitor; when I think of him I remember sitting in the old Pine gym, mid summer, no air conditioning, with those huge mega fans rumbling at the end of the gym.  Just a regular pick up game in 100 degree & humid STL summer, no coaches around  -- but boy, he could take control of a game, he wanted to win each possession; and was such a huge presence as a leader.  I think it was his unusual passion and his commitment that was  off the charts; and how far he came indicates that (he was not very big, and I don't think he ever dunked, but I may be wrong).  Kudos on a terrific career--every Billiken should aspire to Kevin's heart of a champion.

Reinert310 and billiken_roy like this

Somebody help me out, because my memory is terrible.  There was a game that SLU played during KL's career here where he scored something like 11 points in the last 30 seconds to try to get us back in the game, but we still lost.  Afterward, the opposing coach called it the greatest performance he had ever seen at the end of a game.

Does anyone remember the game I am talking about?

Just now, cgeldmacher said:

Somebody help me out, because my memory is terrible.  There was a game that SLU played during KL's career here where he scored something like 11 points in the last 30 seconds to try to get us back in the game, but we still lost.  Afterward, the opposing coach called it the greatest performance he had ever seen at the end of a game.

Maybe Xavier at our place? I remember he pulled us back into that one, absolutely torched Stanley Burrell down the stretch, and we lost by 2. Then Burrell proceeded to jump on the scorer's table and pound his chest and scream as if it were a home game and he didn't just get embarrassed. I wanted nothing more than to be within beer-throwing range when that happened.

Zink and Reinert310 like this

2 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

That was a game against Xavier in the Scottrade Center. I remember Xavier won on a tip in at the buzzer.

1 minute ago, Pistol said:

Maybe Xavier at our place? I remember he pulled us back into that one, absolutely torched Stanley Burrell down the stretch, and we lost by 2. Then Burrell proceeded to jump on the scorer's table and pound his chest and scream as if it were a home game and he didn't just get embarrassed. I wanted nothing more than to be within beer-throwing range when that happened.

Might be.  I just remember that he was absolutely unstoppable at the end.  The team we were playing had to keep scoring to come out with the win, because they weren't going to stop him.

2 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Might be.  I just remember that he was absolutely unstoppable at the end.  The team we were playing had to keep scoring to come out with the win, because they weren't going to stop him.

Yes, that's the one.

Derrick Brown's buzzer-beating tip-in gave Xavier (No. 14 ESPN/USA Today, No. 13 AP) the perfect ending to a frustrating experience.

Brown's putback with 0.1 seconds to go allowed the Musketeers to barely avoid a second-half meltdown and overcome last-minute heroics by Saint Louis' Kevin Lisch in a 70-68 victory on Thursday night.

"Obviously we leave here knowing full well we're fortunate," coach Sean Miller said. "He almost singlehandedly beat us down the stretch."

Lisch had three 3-pointers and a three-point play in the final minute, and his driving layup and free throw with 11.6 seconds to go tied it at 68. Lisch was a career-best 6-for-9 from 3-point range and scored 25 points for Saint Louis, which also got 11 points from Luke Meyer and 10 from Tommie Liddell III.

"Our guys don't give up," Lisch said. "We never feel like we're out of the game. while there's time left on the clock you might as well play hard.

"I felt like we could have pulled it out there in the end."

SLU had 22 at half on 27% shooting. That game felt very much out of hand for most of it, and then Lisch started really going off.

cgeldmacher likes this

Stanley Burrell needed to get pounded for that BS.  I am sad to say I was so pissed that it took everything I had in me not to run down the few rows and take a swing at him.  I have been more crushed, but never more angry at a sporting event.

8 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

He also did something similar one time when I watched them in Springfield against MO State. Game was over but he went nuts in the last few minutes to make it dangerously close. 

Crazy him and Liddell and Ian didn’t have enough around them to really do anything. 

20 hours ago, Pistol said:

Yes, that's the one.

Derrick Brown's buzzer-beating tip-in gave Xavier (No. 14 ESPN/USA Today, No. 13 AP) the perfect ending to a frustrating experience.

Brown's putback with 0.1 seconds to go allowed the Musketeers to barely avoid a second-half meltdown and overcome last-minute heroics by Saint Louis' Kevin Lisch in a 70-68 victory on Thursday night.

"Obviously we leave here knowing full well we're fortunate," coach Sean Miller said. "He almost singlehandedly beat us down the stretch."

Lisch had three 3-pointers and a three-point play in the final minute, and his driving layup and free throw with 11.6 seconds to go tied it at 68. Lisch was a career-best 6-for-9 from 3-point range and scored 25 points for Saint Louis, which also got 11 points from Luke Meyer and 10 from Tommie Liddell III.

"Our guys don't give up," Lisch said. "We never feel like we're out of the game. while there's time left on the clock you might as well play hard.

"I felt like we could have pulled it out there in the end."

SLU had 22 at half on 27% shooting. That game felt very much out of hand for most of it, and then Lisch started really going off.

That's as bummed as I've been after a game. Similar to this year against Dayton.

6 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

That's as bummed as I've been after a game. Similar to this year against Dayton.

i think that 3 in the dayton game was the most disappointed i have ever been at the end of a billiken game.   

20 minutes ago, DoctorB said:

The ending against Davidson, year before last, with Jordan G. missing free throws, at the wire,  also felt like a huge loss right at the end...

What made the Davidson game even worse was we had the lead and JGood fouled JAG 20 feet from the hoop. JAG obviously made both free throws, then JGood miraculously gets fouled with basically no time left. If he hits both we win, if he hits one we go to OT. He missed both. It was such a slow, torturous loss. 

1 minute ago, billiken_roy said:

but the dayton last second loss was versus arguably the best team in the nation.   shock the world stuff. 

I get that -- much more was at stake.  Hateful & dreadful loss; but I have a confession to make here and now:  oddly, uncannily, I just had a feeling all along that the Flyers were going to figure out a way to win it, and beat us.  It's that sickening feeling I have had at least a dozen times with Tom Brady and the NE Unpatriots....

50 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

I think the Gonzaga game rivals the Dayton loss for me.  I think it was 2005.  Lisch hit a deep trey to tie it; then Morrison beats us at the buzzer.  That was a long walk to the car...

brianstl likes this

40 minutes ago, philliken said:

I think the Gonzaga game rivals the Dayton loss for me.  I think it was 2005.  Lisch hit a deep trey to tie it; then Morrison beats us at the buzzer.  That was a long walk to the car...

Agreed this was one of the most dissapointing losses. However, just wanted to clarify that wasn't exactly how the gane ended. We never tied the game, and Polk and Lisch both missed 3s to tie it (Lisch wouldve sent it into OT at the buzzer). Morrison hat a huge second half, but there was no buzzer beater.

1 hour ago, NH said:

Agreed this was one of the most dissapointing losses. However, just wanted to clarify that wasn't exactly how the gane ended. We never tied the game, and Polk and Lisch both missed 3s to tie it (Lisch wouldve sent it into OT at the buzzer). Morrison hat a huge second half, but there was no buzzer beater.

Thanks for the clarification NH.  I guess my memory isn't what it once was.  For some reason, in my head I remember the dirty stache draining a deep three right by the sidelines; must've been an end of the shotclock heave or something earlier in the game.  Still ticked about that one.

And agreed Box and Won.  That Arizona ending was tough.

If i remember correctly, that was the same weekend SLU soccer got ousted in overtime by Maryland with a trip to the Elite 8 on the line.  Something about Hutton kicking the ball right to the defender who had an open net for the winner.  Think it was the only goal of the game too.  That was a bad weekend.

***Edit*** - The Hutton giveaway was the year before.

The day after Bryant's toe-shot, Maryland beat SLU 4-2 to go to the final four.  Even worse.

34 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

And then there was Reggie Bryant's foot on the three-point line against Arizona.

I was at that game at Kiel/Savvis/Scottrade/Enterprise. The place exploded when he hit the shot, but they played the replay on the Jumbotron and his foot was obviously on the line. It was a crazy moment.

3 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

but the dayton last second loss was versus arguably the best team in the nation.   shock the world stuff. 

At the time they were #13 (X was #14) - and we were a lot better team this year than we were when Lisch went off.

• 6 months later...
On 6/9/2020 at 12:59 PM, Pistol said:

I was there. Someone hit him in the chest with a folded up cup of ice.