Cincinnati-Moeller(a little trivia)

BLIKNS

I hope this is on the right board.After reading about a couple of Moeller players this year,and speculating if we are in fact recruiting them,I have pondered this.Didn`t Coach Jason G. go to Moeller? Now the trivia question.In the early 80`s Moeller was THE high school football program in the country,so much so that their coach got a Div1 coaching job.What was the coaches name,what college did he get hired by?After leaving that school, where did he coach wind up at?Extra ?What was the name of the player from Kirkwood,that played college football for this coach(I think he may have been the Parade national POY @Kirkwood,I remember he won the state track meet all by him self,3 first places and a relay)I imagine New2SLU may know this one.

After ND I believe he took over the Akron Zips HC job. Don't think he did to well there either. I saw Moeller in it's heyday back in the late 70s. They came to Columbus, Oh to play another Ohio powerhouse. The team rolled up in four busses, ran about 90 guys onto the field, and Faust had a coaching staff that numbered in the teens. They proceeded to score TD's on their first four possessions until they brought in the second team which immediately scored on thier first two. They were a steamroller.

Moeller ... over rated. They took a four game trip to Texas in the early 80's a year or 2 after I graduated which was 79. They played Plano I think and someone else. They left 0-2. I am working by memory ... but I know they lost big with the first game which I think was Plano. I don't remember the second school ... but I'm sure it was a traditional power. I think Faust was still the HC. Rumor was that Moeller cancelled a return series in Ohio the following year.

You can't be the best HS program in the country if you play in Ohio. To be the best ... you have to play in Texas. At least that's what us arogant Texans believe. My HS Arlington Lamar went to Fla and played against one of the traditional powers in Fla in the early 90's. ... I don't know who but it was a school in Tampa ... and won by almost 20. Lamar is a top school in the state ... but has not won a State Title finishing in the top 4 a couple of times.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

... is the flick and I'm assuming its based on the book of the same name about Texas High School Football. I can't speak for the movie, but the hype is going pretty strong. My buddy in Cleveland sent me the book for Chistmas some years ago. I remember it being pretty intense .... same as the pros today.

Where I come from, they would say Pennsylvania is the home of high school football. I don't believe I would argue with Texas though. Berwick, Pa., is very close to my home town and I went to a game of theirs a few years ago .... their front line was all over 6' 3" tall and all pushing near 300 pounds. Only one person have ever made me feel really small since growing up .... Jonathon Ogden of the Baltimore Ravens. The Berwick High players were not that far off.

I'll cast my vote for Texas.

Yes I remember Faust very well. During his reign at ND bumper stickers and signs such as "OUST FAUST" and "SEND THE HOLY ROLLER BACK TO MOELLER" began to appear at games, on campus and probably all over the country.The term "Holy Roller" came from a tradition that Faust had at Moeller.Whenever Moeller was on a scoring drive and had the ball inside the 20, Faust and the whole team would kneel down in prayer for a score. In a Sports Ilustrated story about Faust and ND it was stated that the powers to be at ND had to tell him to tone it down a bit.They said that in no way would he have the entire ND team kneel down in prayer for a TD on national TV.

• 15 years later...
On 10/6/2004 at 12:36 AM, BLIKNS said:

I hope this is on the right board.After reading about a couple of Moeller players this year,and speculating if we are in fact recruiting them,I have pondered this.Didn`t Coach Jason G. go to Moeller? Now the trivia question.In the early 80`s Moeller was THE high school football program in the country,so much so that their coach got a Div1 coaching job.What was the coaches name,what college did he get hired by?After leaving that school, where did he coach wind up at?Extra ?What was the name of the player from Kirkwood,that played college football for this coach(I think he may have been the Parade national POY @Kirkwood,I remember he won the state track meet all by him self,3 first places and a relay)I imagine New2SLU may know this one.

faust, alvin miller

On 1/4/2020 at 2:42 PM, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Isn't it a bit of a non sequitur to bump a 15-year-old+ thread?

Yeah, this is insane. Especially because the first question of the thread was never answered - yes, former SLU assistant coach Jason Grunkemeyer went to Moeller before playing 2 seasons at Ohio and 2 alongside Wally at Miami-OH. He's now the associate HC at Ball State.

18 hours ago, Pistol said:

Yeah, this is insane. Especially because the first question of the thread was never answered - yes, former SLU assistant coach Jason Grunkemeyer went to Moeller before playing 2 seasons at Ohio and 2 alongside Wally at Miami-OH. He's now the associate HC at Ball State.

You're missing the larger point here.  The score of a Moeller High-Walsh Jesuit football game from the '70s is critically important. 

If people are going to talk about Moeller High football on this board, they need to come correct.  Get their f-ing facts straight.  Bring receipts.  If you disrespect Moeller, you better be prepared to head to Salina to discuss the matter.

Thank goodness this injustice from 2004 has been corrected.  We can now breathe a collective sigh of relief. 

Moeller High football rules!

Image result for o doyle rules

(Seriously, WTF???)

Pistol likes this

People talk about St. Louis HS culture being perhaps a bit unhealthy and alienating to outsiders, and I totally agree.

When you basically take the same thing in Cincinnati and put football on top of it, it's worse.

Imagine joining a team-specific college basketball message board to bump a thread 15 years after it died to quibble with the facts of a HS football game that happened 40 years ago. There you have Cincinnati HS football behavior.

This is a major metropolitan area and you'd think it's some economically depressed town in rural Texas or Alabama where middle-aged alcoholics are still fighting about their glory days, having peaked as teenagers. I try to be polite. "Wow, that's interesting to someone I'm sure but you see, I wasn't born yet and also have you heard of CTE..."

On 1/6/2020 at 11:15 AM, Pistol said:

People talk about St. Louis HS culture being perhaps a bit unhealthy and alienating to outsiders, and I totally agree.

When you basically take the same thing in Cincinnati and put football on top of it, it's worse.

Imagine joining a team-specific college basketball message board to bump a thread 15 years after it died to quibble with the facts of a HS football game that happened 40 years ago. There you have Cincinnati HS football behavior.

This is a major metropolitan area and you'd think it's some economically depressed town in rural Texas or Alabama where middle-aged alcoholics are still fighting about their glory days, having peaked as teenagers. I try to be polite. "Wow, that's interesting to someone I'm sure but you see, I wasn't born yet and also have you heard of CTE..."

I've only lived in Cincinnati for 3 years, and I can tell it's ridiculous about football. Absolutely nuts

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, Moe one said:

https://issuu.com/moellerhs/docs/newsarticles_11abf05622a523

click “ read issue here” Moeller 37 Jesuit 7..... a beat down 

I don't know what Dallas Jesuit was ranked or even their classification in 78 but they didn't play in the state championship game so they weren't the best team in the state. I don't ever remember Dallas Jesuit being considered a top team.  Maybe they had a good year and I may be wrong but I doubt they were a top 10 team in the top class. 

I just found the playoff brackets for 78 season. Dallas Jesuit wasn't in the top 32 in the largest class (4A at the time)or in the top 16 in 3A