Dayton Additions

Taj79

As most saw, Elijah Weaver, 6'6" PG/SG is transferring to Dayton from USC.  Weaver was a four-star recruit; will sit a year and have two remaining.

On another front, former four-star recruit Chase Johnson, who left school last December with recurring concussion and mental health issues, is rumored to be returning to the team this semester.  I don't know how they will count the 6'9" PFs time ---- he spent 1.5 years at Florida, transferred to Dayton where the sat for the transfer year, and then played last year some before leaving.  Might be a junior I guess.  If true, that would give Dayton some help on their depleted front line.

Jalen Crutcher remains in the NBA draft right now; Ibi Watson returned to YouDee.

Personally i really like crutcher's game.   i think he is nba worthy.   imo he was the best point guard in the league last year.  

AGB91 likes this

Chatman was Dayton's starting PG ..... although Crutcher did more ballhandling in crunch time and against VCU's press.  Crutcher was really a 1/2, starting at the 2 while moving into the 1 when Watson came in off the bench as the 2.  

Crutcher was pretty darn good but I'd place both JAG and Dowtin ahead of him as a floor coach. Only slightly.  Crutcher will be back at the 2 this year with Watson a likely 3 for Dayton.  Chatman is okay  but he's a distributor and defender, not a known scorer at this point.  Cohill was more a defensive guy too.

There is a lot of good youth across the A10 at the point led by Yuri Collins.  It would have been even deeper had Sean East stayed.  You have Collins, Nelson, Jr., Hikim, Cobb, Fernandez,  Hyland and Weeks in that group.  Lofton at Bonaventure and Carry at Duquesne are seasoned vets.  It will be interesting to see how the Gonzaga transfer does as the PG at St. Joe's.  If he's decent, Daly should be even more of a threat seeing as he's not the primary ballhandler any more.

Jalen Crutcher is currently ninth on the Flyer historical career list with 470 career assists.  He will end up as either #2 or #1 on their career assist list.  I'd say he is doing okay.  He will be a candidate for POY in the A10.

From the Flyer website: After three seasons as UD's starting point guard, he is currently 36th in career scoring at UD with 1,170 points, and ninth with 470 career assists.  Crutcher is third at UD in career assists per game (5.0) and second in assist-to-turnover ratio (2.18).  

46 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Jalen Crutcher is currently ninth on the Flyer historical career list with 470 career assists.  He will end up as either #2 or #1 on their career assist list.  I'd say he is doing okay.  He will be a candidate for POY in the A10.

From the Flyer website: After three seasons as UD's starting point guard, he is currently 36th in career scoring at UD with 1,170 points, and ninth with 470 career assists.  Crutcher is third at UD in career assists per game (5.0) and second in assist-to-turnover ratio (2.18).  

Agreed. If Crutcher puts up the same number of assists he did last year, he will be #8 all-time in the A10, ahead of pass-first point guard Edgar Padilla and do-everything stud Jaylen Adams.

Crutcher was the ONLY PG on Dayton's roster his first two years.  His freshman year he played over 31 mpg, and then did 36.5 mpg his sophomore year.  He was the only guy truly capable of passing the rock on both those rosters so his assist totals don't surprise me.  They had one guy on those teams average over 2 apg once other than Crutcher.  Last year, Chatman distributed 3.2 apg and overall, the team shared the ball so weel, that five guys averaged tow assists per game making Crutcher's total lower.

Crutcher could be A10 POY but he'll be a marked man.  With an unproven inside game (even if Chase Johnson somehow comes back) Dayton will need the bulk of their points to come from Watson and Crutcher.  Dayton's offense was a joy for basketball purists to watch lastyear.  Will it be the same without Toppin, Mikesell and Landers?  

I think Crutcher's apg numbers will go down next year given he will have fewer options to pass to.  

2 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Agreed. If Crutcher puts up the same number of assists he did last year, he will be #8 all-time in the A10, ahead of pass-first point guard Edgar Padilla and do-everything stud Jaylen Adams.

Of course in 3 years, Yuri will be #1!

AGB91 likes this

4 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Crutcher could be A10 POY but he'll be a marked man.  With an unproven inside game (even if Chase Johnson somehow comes back) Dayton will need the bulk of their points to come from Watson and Crutcher. 

I'm thinking Jordan Goodwin could be A10 Player of the Year.

Crewsorlose likes this

My early A10 POY list ...... Crutcher; Goodwin; Tre Mitchell (Umass); Ryan Daly (St. Joes); Kyle Lofton (Bonaventure); Kellan Grady (Davidson); Jacob Gilyard and Nick Sherrod (Richmond).

8 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

My early A10 POY list ...... Crutcher; Goodwin; Tre Mitchell (Umass); Ryan Daly (St. Joes); Kyle Lofton (Bonaventure); Kellan Grady (Davidson); Jacob Gilyard and Nick Sherrod (Richmond).

No Perkins? I think he has to be in the mix. 

2 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Two to add to your list: H French and J Perkins.   Any team that goes 18-0 will have more than one POY candidate.  The only problem is that they will steal votes from each other.

Yuri and Gibson will battle for the 2nd and 3rd All Conf teams

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

I agree with this list, and think Grant Golden and Fatts Russell could also get consideration (though I understand the exclusion of both).