ICYMI: Bonner on MJ

Following up on the ESPN series, The Last Dance,  Frank Cusumano caught-up with Anthony Bonner and chatted with him about facing Jordan:

https://www.ksdk.com/video/sports/basketball/anthony-bonner-has-plenty-of-michael-jordan-stories/63-2bd88dc5-f6df-47e4-bee0-9c6c7f8a379b

Bonner is really chatty.

55 minutes ago, TheBand said:

Following up on the ESPN series, The Last Dance,  Frank Cusumano caught-up with Anthony Bonner and chatted with him about facing Jordan:

https://www.ksdk.com/video/sports/basketball/anthony-bonner-has-plenty-of-michael-jordan-stories/63-2bd88dc5-f6df-47e4-bee0-9c6c7f8a379b

Bonner is really chatty.

ford should offer bonner's son now.

1 hour ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

He’s 11 years old.

Thank you, coach Ford has plenty of time, lol.

40 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Question:  I Bonner the last player to play four years at SLU and then get drafted by the NBA?

I think so - only players to be drafted into the NBA after Bonner were Larry Hughes (after his FR year) and Mo Jeffers (who came to SLU as a JUCO and didn't play 4 years)

jeffers went to westark junior college in ft smith arkansas.   

i am 99.9% certain jeffers got a slu degree.    

1 minute ago, billikenfan05 said:

He came from Arkansas Fort Smith. I think was D2

Got it.  I knew he didn't play 4 years at SLU and didn't play D1 previously so I assumed he was a JUCO guy.

Interestingly - I think Bonner is maybe(?) the only player EVER to play 4 years at SLU and be drafted into the NBA in the "modern draft" (after 1966).

All other NBA Billikens that were drafted as far as I can tell from my research either played less than 4 years due to being JUCO or transfer (Jeffers, David Burns), were Larry Hughes who left early, or were not being allowed to play as a freshman so they only played 4 years (Harry Rodgers, Gene Moore, Rich Niemann, etc.).  There are older guys like Easy Ed who played before freshman weren't allowed so he played 4 years, but it was also before the traditional/modern NBA draft so he was taken as a territorial pick into the NBA.

2 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

jeffers went to westark junior college in ft smith arkansas.   

i am 99.9% certain jeffers got a slu degree.    

@cgeldmacher's question wasn't about guys getting a degree from SLU, it was about guys who played at SLU for 4 years.

at one time, our record of slu basketball players getting their degrees was outstanding.   i have kind of lost track of that since rickma came to town.   if there are any Athletic Department guys reading that would be a good stat to release assuming it is still pretty good.  

58 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

He came from Arkansas Fort Smith. I think was D2

He was a JUCO. The school WAS Westark Junior College in Ft. Smith. It BECAME Ark-Ft. Smith in 2000. His wiki page is confusing because of that. They have it both ways. But I remember him coming as a JUCO.

1 minute ago, billiken_roy said:

at one time, our record of slu basketball players getting their degrees was outstanding.   i have kind of lost track of that since rickma came to town.   if there are any Athletic Department guys reading that would be a good stat to release assuming it is still pretty good.  

I know they have worked very hard to get Tommie Liddell back taking some courses working on his degree. 

1 hour ago, almaman said:

What did he do in the NBA?

What did who do in the NBA?

Bonner was drafted in the 1st round 23rd overall pick by the Kings.  He played in parts of 6 season with the Kings, Knicks, and Magic totaling 318 games.  He averaged 6.9 points per game and 5.4 rebounds per game.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/bonnean01.html

Jeffers was drafted in the 2nd round 55th overall pick also by the Kings.  He never played in the NBA.  He played briefly in the very early form of the G-League and then played internationally.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/gleague/players/j/jeffema01d.html

One other Billiken who I have not seen mentioned in this thread is Bob Ferry, an All-American who went to Cleveland High School, later Navy ROTC, on So. Grand.  He would fall into the group that went to SLU for 4 years, but at a time when Freshmen were not allowed to play on the Varsity .  After his NBA career he became a high level executive with an NBA team.  He also is the father of the great Duke player, Danny Ferry.

3 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

What did who do in the NBA?

Bonner was drafted in the 1st round 23rd overall pick by the Kings.  He played in parts of 6 season with the Kings, Knicks, and Magic totaling 318 games.  He averaged 6.9 points per game and 5.4 rebounds per game.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/bonnean01.html

Jeffers was drafted in the 2nd round 55th overall pick also by the Kings.  He never played in the NBA.  He played briefly in the very early form of the G-League and then played internationally.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/gleague/players/j/jeffema01d.html

Jeffers was who I was not aware of or forgot.

I thought that Bonner was the last one to play four seasons and get drafted.  That will need to change if we want Ford to be able to start consistently getting 4 and 5 star local guys to stay here.  Doesn't need to be a four year guy, just a guy that commits to SLU out of high school and goes straight from SLU to the NBA.