Bernie Miklasz out at 101.1 ESPN

It was always hard to listen to him complain about how nobody understood anything but him. His rants were tiresome. Just whining about how some theoretical fan was going to disagree with him before he even said anything.

bauman likes this

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

I, also, think him leaving the Post really messed with his psyche.

Bernie’s managed to stay one of the more public examples, but crazy to think how many columnists/journalists/editors you could say that for considering the newsroom liquidation the Post has experienced over the last 15 years. 

6 hours ago, dlarry said:

I enjoyed his articles when he worked for the Post but the guy lost his marbles in the last 5-10 years.

Every morning it was the same thing.

He would argue with people who I don’t think existed.

He’d go on a rant then giggle and say “I’m sorry but some of you people are just cuckoo. It drives me crazy.” 

But the people he was arguing against made up maybe 2% of the listeners. 
He believed the loud mouth on Twitter is what most people believe but in reality the loudmouth on Twitter is a very small minority.

He let those loudmouth consume him and it ruined his show.

I felt exactly the same. I'm a bit of a stats geek in baseball so I enjoyed much of his info. He generally had good opinions I believe. But his rants about the crazies were so long and often he became hard to listen to. He gave way too much time and credit to the loudmouth minority

Bernie was very good on KMOX.  More reserved and he had others to take the pressure off of him.  I believe he has appeared on all the sports radio stations in town 590, 1380, and 101.  He was at his best with a partner.  His solo show on 101 has been unlistenable for quite some time.

Bernie has struggled with weight issues for the 35 years he has been in St. Louis.  He's never taken care of himself healthwise.

10 hours ago, thetorch said:

Bernie has struggled with weight issues for the 35 years he has been in St. Louis.  He's never taken care of himself healthwise.

RM reached out to Bernie and they had unique personal relationship over health, weight issues and sports generally.   I agree - Bernie like RM but not SLU

14 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

He should have covered the Billikens more

Very odd that so many in the local media have pressed forward giving the the cold shoulder to the Billikens.   It's like a source of pride to be a popular local media guy and yet not cover the Bills very much.   I just don't get it.   Cover the teams based upon revenue, alumni, ratings, attendance, clicks or whatever.   Most likley in the following order:  Cardinals, Blues, Mizzou and then SLU - but cover them ALL.   Give them each time, print... even if pro-rated.  So many seem to make a living and have a source of pride in dismissing programs such as the Bills or in taking negative shots at the Bills.  Again, why?   Even if the market is smaller than the other markets, a market still exists.  Do they believe coverage of the Bills will lose Mizzou fans/followers?  Do they believe they will no longer be considered "big time" if they cover any program less than the Cardinals, Blues and Mizzou?  Are we in their category of Webster U, Maryville and Harris Stowe?  Why refuse to tap into all markets in your area?  Seems either very stupid - and I don't believe - or relates more to the other conspiracies:  jealousy by the Mizzou honks, etc. - though Bernie is not from Missouri or have ties to Mizzou.   Frank has been the only local sports caster to truly be excited for all the teams and programs.   Very odd.

Quality Is Job 1 likes this

For years all print journalism in St. Louis was dominated by Mizzou grads. The editors were Mizzou grads. It was a badge of honor for sportswriters to proclaim their membership in the Antlers, and how many late nights they had at Harpo’s and Shakespeares.

The pervasive Mizzou stench ensured that sports coverage was both non stop Mizzou, and always slanted. Quick, name 4 SLU grads that work in sports at the post.

Billiken Rich likes this

30 minutes ago, Sheltiedave said:

For years all print journalism in St. Louis was dominated by Mizzou grads. The editors were Mizzou grads. It was a badge of honor for sportswriters to proclaim their membership in the Antlers, and how many late nights they had at Harpo’s and Shakespeares.

The pervasive Mizzou stench ensured that sports coverage was both non stop Mizzou, and always slanted. Quick, name 4 SLU grads that work in sports at the post.

They would be easier to name if we had a journalism school. I agree with Next Year. It’s all about winning. I think our coverage is good when we win and are relevant. I thought our coverage last year was pretty decent. 

18 minutes ago, willie said:

They would be easier to name if we had a journalism school. I agree with Next Year. It’s all about winning. I think our coverage is good when we win and are relevant. I thought our coverage last year was pretty decent. 

Exactly, Mizzou has 1 of the top journalism schools in the country. Not exactly apples to apples there.

You would be surprised, over the years, at the quality of print writers coming out of SLU. Many would apply to the Post/Globe, and get shot down. Often they would go on to get their masters from Mizzou in journalism. The three I know who went this route all got shot down when they reapplied again at the Post, so the comparison became apples to apples.

1 hour ago, Sheltiedave said:

You would be surprised, over the years, at the quality of print writers coming out of SLU. Many would apply to the Post/Globe, and get shot down. Often they would go on to get their masters from Mizzou in journalism. The three I know who went this route all got shot down when they reapplied again at the Post, so the comparison became apples to apples.

I’m not sure a few individuals getting shot down from a certain newspaper(s) after attending both schools qualifies as the 2 journalism programs being comparable. SLU academics is more highly regarded than Mizzou in a lot of areas...journalism isn’t one of them. 

1 hour ago, Reinert310 said:

I’m not sure a few individuals getting shot down from a certain newspaper(s) after attending both schools qualifies as the 2 journalism programs being comparable. SLU academics is more highly regarded than Mizzou in a lot of areas...journalism isn’t one of them. 

It might not mean the programs are comparable, but it does (at least) hint at some parochialism, especially considering that the master's degree should be weighted more heavily than the bachelor's degree.

Reinert, I never said the two schools are comparable. I did say the quality of print writers I knew at SLU were surprisingly high; Avis Meyer was every bit the equal of Mizzou’s leading inkers back in the day, and three of the four UNewsers I knew very well went on to write for the NYT, WP, WSJ, and Boston Globe - but they could not get a job at the Post, and especially in the sports department.
That is the apples to apples comparison; if they were good enough to get on at first line premier papers, at least one should have gotten an offer at the Post.

The SLU writers often were often a little more literate, as those five philosophy, religion, ethics, and morality classes colored world views better and led to better writing slots outside St. Louis than inside.

The only way to overcome sparse coverage, scant in depth coverage, and road coverage often with few or no photos, is to win win win. 
The least popular historical article at the Post right now (due to Smith, Matter, and Gordon wearing gold and black every game weekend) would be a review of our fantastically competitive three game series, and the writer agitating for a return of an annual game.

2 minutes ago, Sheltiedave said:

Reinert, I never said the two schools are comparable. I did say the quality of print writers I knew at SLU were surprisingly high; Avis Meyer was every bit the equal of Mizzou’s leading inkers back in the day, and three of the four UNewsers I knew very well went on to write for the NYT, WP, WSJ, and Boston Globe - but they could not get a job at the Post, and especially in the sports department.
That is the apples to apples comparison; if they were good enough to get on at first line premier papers, at least one should have gotten an offer at the Post.

The SLU writers often were often a little more literate, as those five philosophy, religion, ethics, and morality classes colored world views better and led to better writing slots outside St. Louis than inside.

The only way to overcome sparse coverage, scant in depth coverage, and road coverage often with few or no photos, is to win win win. 
The least popular historical article at the Post right now (due to Smith, Matter, and Gordon wearing gold and black every game weekend) would be a review of our fantastically competitive three game series, and the writer agitating for a return of an annual game.

I’m sure there are plenty of fantastic SLU journalists out there, but unfortunately, when it comes to academic programs, perception becomes reality. I’m not saying that Mizzou’s journalism is any better than journalism taught at SLU, but it is perceived to be better, which is often more important. I have no idea if the post discriminates for or against certain universities Just seems like it would be kinda silly if a candidate is qualified and the goal is to make money. Could absolutely be wrong though, but seems like a stupid way to do business. Then again, I’ve been surprised many times in the past.

11 minutes ago, Sheltiedave said:

The thing is Mizzou has writers at the post that love following their sports. SLU has a beat writer in the twilight of his career who could really care less about the team he covers.

2 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

The thing is Mizzou has writers at the post that love following their sports. SLU has a beat writer in the twilight of his career who could really care less about the team he covers.

I agree with this . Our beat writers have been fine but it’s just a job. 

At least they care about one school that should be cared about for residents on this side of the river. One of the reasons I never warmed to Bernie wasn't his fault but was his original job when he came to town. Having grown up with the local Bob's Burnes and Broeg it seemed wrong for the Post to have hired some kid from Baltimore over some local kid from one of the 2 prestigious journalism schools spoken of above many graduates would be qualified..

On 5/2/2020 at 12:37 PM, Sheltiedave said:

Just a look back at some of the better known local sports writers and the college they attended.  I am sure that I am missing many others so please add to the list.  In the meantime, I think I see a pattern:

Bob Burnes - SLU - Globe Democrat

Bob Broeg - Mizzou - Post Dispatch

Dave Dorr - Mizzou - Post Dispatch

Kevin Horrigan - Houston & Mizzou - Post Dispatch

Rick Hummel - Mizzou - Post Dispatch

Dan O'Neill - Mizzou - Post Dispatch

Jeff Gordon - Mizzou - Post Dispatch

Ben Frederickson - Mizzou - Post Dispatch

Frank Cusumano - UMSL - KSDK channel 5 TV/local radio

3 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Just a look back at some of the better known local sports writers and the college they attended.  I am sure that I am missing many others so please add to the list.  In the meantime, I think I see a pattern:

the st louis sports fan doesnt have a chance.

8 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Most of the TV sports guys went to schools out of town. I think Doug Vaughn is the only Miz grad

21 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Ben Hochman - Mizzou

Dave Matter - Mizzou

Bryan Burwell - Virginia State University