RM Was a Great Bench Coach .... so

To counter myself, I will give Rickma credit, he drew up masterful out of bounds plays. It seemed we always ran the same play but he had tiny little iterations of it to leave 3 point shooters open on the perimeter or a cutting big inside. I feel like there was a handful of times he drew up that wheel play and it resulted in a 3 pt bucket and someone running through a screen, so we would then get the ball back. It was poetry in motion.

Comparing any coach to Majerus, a legend in the game is not really fair.  Its not like another Majerus is going to walk through the door or that he is some sort of benchmark for coaching today.  He was one of a kind.

We are living in good Billiken times.  Coach Ford is leading us to the promised land.  There is no need to bring out the ghost of Majerus out for comparison.
We should appreciate Coach Ford for his impressive accomplishments with this team and the program he is building.  AND enjoy this exciting brand of basketball.

We now have a physical high flying team that frustrates opponents by stealing their lunch money.

I just remember Chris Mack of X saying Rick was playing Chess and I was playing checkers. Although, I think Rickma's greatest work was done in practices. He taught how to screen, spacing, D, and rebounding. The Anaheim tourney was a BB clinic. That team worked to perfection and got some big W's. 

I remember the Bills losing to a Majerus-coached team ( I believe Utah) in the postseason.  A guy made a shot at the elbow near the end of the game to beat us by a couple of points.  At the time I thought it was just bad luck.  In retrospect, luck didn't just happen with Majerus, it was carefully orchestra  Looked up the game- it was 3/16/2000. Bills lost 48-45.  We had Justin Love, Maurice Jeffers, Marque Perry, Troy Robertson, Matt Baniak.  Ironically, I think it was Alex Jensens's shot that beat us in the last minute of the game.

Edited by papal
additional info

49 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Best 20 minutes of SLU basketball I have seen was the first half against Romar and his Washington Huskies at Chaifetz.  A real clinic!!  Not that we played bad in the second half, but the game was out of reach ...

Hard to stay motivated on a Sunday morning when you are already up 25.

Clock_Tower likes this