Madani Diarra transferring

moytoy12

3 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Why would this have anything to do with DeSmet?

DeSmet has two juniors, Sekou Gassama and Yaya Keita, that SLU has been recruiting. They’ve been at some games this season. They are from Mali. Diarra is from Mali. The thought is that maybe having someone from their country could have been a draw. I’m not sure what kind of connection they had with Madani.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sad I was right on this one. I predict he will transfer to a lower caliber school, continue to develop, have a couple monster years, and we will see his name pop up in the grad transfer portal going to a major school one day. I wish him the best, and I am grateful for his contributions to team blue in 19-20.

I've thought about that a little bit and I don't think it'll be an issue. Both DeSmet bigs have been on campus numerous times and I've seen them talking to a number of people in and around the program. I get the impression that the Ford family connection (Brooks went to DeSmet) is pretty strong. So they're connected to SLU in their recruitments with or without him. Neither have said anything publicly about Diarra, either.

Is it nice to have someone from back home who might be easy to relate to? For sure. But there's also the downside risk that Diarra played another season without getting minutes and if he's a guy they're talking to at SLU, he might not be the best pitchman for the program. And then if they do decide to come to SLU, he plays the same position.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

He was a long-term project here for sure. He was encouraged by the coaching staff to take a redshirt season and opted not to do it. I really wish he would have. Because like 05 says, he got a year of training and practice and school to see how he measures up. He will still have a better idea of where he stands within the college game, except now with one less season of eligibility and a potential sit year after barely seeing game action. He seems like a really nice dude and I wish him the best wherever he ends up.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel like redshirting wouldn't have done him any good? He is going to have to burn his redshirt year after transferring, so would have been a sophomore when he can play at his new school either way? The caveat being that if the immediate eligibility rule passes, it would have made more sense to redshirt. 

Crewsorlose likes this

1 minute ago, Pistol said:

I've thought about that a little bit and I don't think it'll be an issue. Both DeSmet bigs have been on campus numerous times and I've seen them talking to a number of people in and around the program. I get the impression that the Ford family connection (Brooks went to DeSmet) is pretty strong. So they're connected to SLU in their recruitments with or without him. Neither have said anything publicly about Diarra, either.

Is it nice to have someone from back home who might be easy to relate to? For sure. But there's also the downside risk that Diarra played another season without getting minutes and if he's a guy they're talking to at SLU, he might not be the best pitchman for the program. And then if they do decide to come to SLU, he plays the same position.

This, it won't have an impact.  

Box and Won likes this

15 minutes ago, NH said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel like redshirting wouldn't have done him any good? He is going to have to burn his redshirt year after transferring, so would have been a sophomore when he can play at his new school either way? The caveat being that if the immediate eligibility rule passes, it would have made more sense to redshirt. 

Based on what I've seen in recent years, he would likely have been granted a waiver from the NCAA to play immediately and would have 4 seasons of eligibility left. As it stands, he has 3 seasons of eligibility remaining after sitting a season (unless there is a rule change or blanket waiver this coming season).

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Is Gassama really on our level? (Or at least the one we hope to maintain after this season) We always seem to talk about them as a pair, but to me it seems as if Keita is the much better player. There seems ot be a lot more noise around Yaya Keita's recruiting than there is around Gassama's

Dsiclaimer - I've only seen video of these guys. Haven't seen these guys play.

Good health and good luck I hope you have great success at your next school.

16 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

Is Gassama really on our level? (Or at least the one we hope to maintain after this season) We always seem to talk about them as a pair, but to me it seems as if Keita is the much better player. There seems ot be a lot more noise around Yaya Keita's recruiting than there is around Gassama's

-I've seen them a few times and I wonder about both of them, I interpreted what I was told on here as  they are developing

For those insinuating he was forced out. My take on Travis is that he's pretty upfront and real with players. Would you consider it forced out if Travis had a frank discussion with him and told him he didn't see him realistically earning many game minutes? 

wgstl likes this

2 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

For those insinuating he was forced out. My take on Travis is that he's pretty upfront and real with players. Would you consider it forced out if Travis had a frank discussion with him and told him he didn't see him realistically earning many game minutes? 

A coach would be doing more harm and disservice by not telling him or being upfront.

slufanskip likes this

3 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

That’s understandable but also look at it this way. He was a kid coming off an injury with not many collegiate options for basketball. He comes in to a Division 1 program, full athletic scholarship to a really nice private school for a really bright young man. He gets to rehab and strength train under Rob Hornett who a couple of years ago was working for the Warriors, improve his physical condition and his game and now he can go and explore options where he can thrive on the court. 

This. One can easily see how SLU ends up being a great stepping stone for Diarra. 

For a kid with limited HS play (due to injuries) and limited recruiting (Detroit and Mississippi Valley are the two most often mentioned), it seems that coming from SLU could still be a path to better opportunities than what he was seeing. Alternatively, Detroit appears to still have 2 spots open for next year. He could take Brad Calipari's spot. 

47 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

Gassama was coming back from an injury this season.  A year earlier, a healthy Gassama went head to head against a top 3 player in the 2021 class and held his own.

https://ballislife.com/meet-sekou-gassama-brings-out-best-in-21-no-1-patrick-baldwin-hes-a-pro/

In one of the best camp games we’ve seen in recent memory at the Pangos Frosh/Soph Camps, Gassama went to work right away. He competed and bodied up Baldwin and really made him work for his, and the Sussex High standout got plenty. Gassama tried to push Baldwin further out from his comfortable spots, and he responded by making deep jump shots and with beautiful driving finishes, including some of the left-hand variety. Baldwin also did some work on the blocks, but Gassama offered plenty of resistance. Gassama also made some baskets around the rim and threw down a powerful dunk off an offensive rebound put back that got everyone in the gym noticing the terrific matchup and asking, “Who’s THAT guy?”

15 minutes ago, VeniceMenace said:

Based on Coach 314 and Frank C. prognostications, we’ve now seen 2 out of what seem to be at least 3 predicted roster changes...suspect last is 2021 recruit?

Yesterday, Frank confirmed that Okoro was the 2020 recruit he was talking about. He said he can’t announce yet what the good news for 2021 is, but will once he can.