Welcome Francis Okoro!

brianstl

3 minutes ago, The House That Rick Built said:

I would counter this by saying I feel like watching a sporting event from the top of a parking garage on campus would be a blast, especially with downtown somewhere in the background depending on how it’s all laid out and again I have no idea how any of this would work or look. Also, anyone who has a problem with the views from their apartment/residence can bite it, we are talking about more important things here. 

Most are athletes anyway. I like the idea more than I care about what those residents think anyway 

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's see.  Isn't this supposed to be a Welcome Francis Okoro thread.  It would be pretty hard to tell it for the past few pages!

Getting back to our new Billiken, after watching the Just Lobs tweet and the video on that, this guy looks like the most athletic 6'9" + big I have ever seen in a SLU uniform. (He reminds me of Anthony Bonner)  How great would it be for French and Bell to get to practice against Okoro next year.  The only concern I have with his transfer is, will we get 2 years of actual court time from him or will he depart after one year of play?  That's obviously a long term issue and doesn't stand in the way of how great this transfer is.  How nice will it be 2 years from now (21-22 season) having the following 4,   6'8" , players  (JB Jr; FO; ML; and AL) on the team to go along with all the skilled players who will be on that team! ---Thatch, Jimerson, Strickland, Collins, Hargrove, Jacobs and any new recruits

Just now, bauman said:

Let's see.  Isn't this supposed to be a Welcome Francis Okoro thread.  It would be pretty hard to tell it for the past few pages!

Getting back to our new Billiken, after watching the Just Lobs tweet and the video on that, this guy looks like the most athletic 6'9" + big I have ever seen in a SLU uniform. (He reminds me of Anthony Bonner)  How great would it be for French and Bell to get to practice against Okoro next year.  The only concern I have with his transfer is, will we get 2 years of actual court time from him or will he depart after one year of play?  That's obviously a long term issue and doesn't stand in the way of how great this transfer is.  How nice will it be 2 years from now (21-22 season) having the following 4,   6'8" , players  (JB Jr; FO; ML; and AL) on the team to go along with all the skilled players who will be on that team! ---Thatch, Jimerson, Strickland, Collins, Hargrove, Jacobs and any new recruits

Big men as strong and athletic/coordinated as Okoro almost never end up in the A-10. He has the potential to be absolutely dominant defensively. He also led Oregon in offensive rebounding rate and has shown some flashes of touch around the rim. I could not be more excited to see his impact after a year off recovering from injury, learning the system, and working on his free throws and finishing.  

1 hour ago, Reinert310 said:

Lol. Why the hostility? I read about it a year ago. Wasn’t aware it would have to hold up in a court of law. Not to mention the accuracy of that statistic means very little to the overall point I was trying to make. Take a Xanax.

LOL no hostility - all I said was I called you on it and you were not willing to back your statement up.  If that is a hostile response then whatever.

22 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

LOL no hostility - all I said was I called you on it and you were not willing to back your statement up.  If that is a hostile response then whatever.

And I admitted above that I very easily could be wrong. My main point had absolutely nothing to do with the exact amount Loyola’s enrollment went up. You can take or leave the statistic I gave. If I was wrong, was wrong. Doesn’t change the value of anything else I said. 

3 hours ago, willie said:

First of all Father Biondi lied. If he didn’t lie he had no idea of what it would take. His statement was at a tip-off banquet. It made for a good speech. Have you walked those campuses? I have been on Marquette’s . Not impressed. 

Just like SLU was awful years ago, Marquette has sure improved as well.  Still urban, still lacks much greenspace.   Yes, been on a lot of college campuses these past 4 years:   Michigan, Texas, TCU, Baylor, A&M, LSU, Loyola New Orleans, Tulane, Alabama, Ole Miss, Florida, UCLA, Pepperdine, Stanford, Louisville, Kansas, Mizzou, Marquette, Miami Ohio, Dayton, DePaul,, Chicago Loyola, Butler, Purdue, Indiana.  Here's some photos of Marquette. https://gomarquette.com/facilities

What I like is the white dome they install for the cold weather.   SLU could do this as well - for baseball, softball, soccer... or buy/use the Armory.  What's the latest on it?  Also, there is a lot of land between campus and the med school.

1 hour ago, Clock_Tower said:

Just like SLU was awful years ago, Marquette has sure improved as well.  Still urban, still lacks much greenspace.   Yes, been on a lot of college campuses these past 4 years:   Michigan, Texas, TCU, Baylor, A&M, LSU, Loyola New Orleans, Tulane, Alabama, Ole Miss, Florida, UCLA, Pepperdine, Stanford, Louisville, Kansas, Mizzou, Marquette, Miami Ohio, Dayton, DePaul,, Chicago Loyola, Butler, Purdue, Indiana.  Here's some photos of Marquette. https://gomarquette.com/facilities

What I like is the white dome they install for the cold weather.   SLU could do this as well - for baseball, softball, soccer... or buy/use the Armory.  What's the latest on it?  Also, there is a lot of land between campus and the med school.

Sorry but you are not up on urban development. The Armory is undergoing a multi million dollar redevelopment. Office,Retail etc. As far as land ,not much left that hasn’t been done or spoken for. 

5 hours ago, Reinert310 said:

Having to deal with tenured professors, even on trivial matters, is probably just a delight (blue font). 

I appreciated this comment more than I should have 

9 hours ago, willie said:

Sorry but you are not up on urban development. The Armory is undergoing a multi million dollar redevelopment. Office,Retail etc. As far as land ,not much left that hasn’t been done or spoken for. 

Yes.  I now see The Armory District.  I remember plans and discussions though still not sure exactly what’s going on there. I do know that SLU had 50 years to acquire it for a song but didnt.   Also am aware of The Foundry but again that is likely delayed and still unclear to me - a restaurant and retail boost to IKEA and The Grove. Assume the old Famous Barr warehouse is part of this? 

But I believe an MLS stadium was discussed about being located nearby.  And I know alot of land is available from Grand parking garage to the old Pevely Dairy site on both sides of Grand. And room exists to build onto or nearby Chaifetz. An igloo dome could go over the soccer practice field and help other sports. Tennis courts could replace Fr Biondi’s lake. Improvements to existing baseball and softball field could be made. We are not as landlocked as some suggest. 

And priority for sports either exists or doesn’t. Balancing departments and competing groups is a given - and the same on our campus as compared to Xavier, Creighton and the others. I suggest that athletics was probably the LAST group to receive facility upgrades at SLU under Biondi  - not the first.  Sometimes it happens, but colleges don’t always wait for donor to knock on their door with a check to build and make upgrades. Excuses. Waiting another 20 years is not going to work.  We either have institutional support or we don’t - and I am not seeing it. 

i've been thinking about the Okoro get.   what we got is gordon without the f'd up head.   big win for the billiken fandom!

13 hours ago, bauman said:

Tennis courts could replace Fr Biondi’s lake. 

I believe there are long term plans for an indoor tennis facility on the med school campus. I also thought I saw where Top Golf was going to put a facility along Grand. I believe where Captain D's is or was. Or did I make that up? Of course, all plans are subject to change in the current economic environment.

2 minutes ago, shempie said:

Tennis courts could replace Fr Biondi’s lake. 

I believe there are long term plans for an indoor tennis facility on the med school campus. I also thought I saw where Top Golf was going to put a facility along Grand. I believe where Captain D's is or was. Or did I make that up? Of course, all plans are subject to change in the current economic environment.

Top Golf is looking at the corner of Chouteau and Compton.

1 hour ago, Clock_Tower said:

Nice. We will soon have a golf course on campus!!

Not a golf course, not  cheap either. You can use it as a golf range or to play a  digital version of the game. They are interested in serving food to those attending, this is a big part of their business plan. Finally the structure of a top golf location is pretty intrusive with very high steel towers and nets that are very visible from far away.

3 hours ago, moytoy12 said:

Wow.  If he is one and done with us, it likely means that he and the Billikens had a really big year.   
If it happens, Ford will restock and the Billikens will be in a good position to attract more good players.
Right now we have some players who are good enough to explore the idea of going into the NBA early.
The next step is to have players who will be good enough to come out early and get drafted.

Billiken Rich likes this

17 hours ago, NH said:

Big men as strong and athletic/coordinated as Okoro almost never end up in the A-10. He has the potential to be absolutely dominant defensively. He also led Oregon in offensive rebounding rate and has shown some flashes of touch around the rim. I could not be more excited to see his impact after a year off recovering from injury, learning the system, and working on his free throws and finishing.  

I think he fits in much better here than he did at Oregon.  By that I mean that he seems like an intense player that busts his ass defensively and for rebounds.  On the Coach Ford on the Radio thread, Ford said that Oregon was mostly a perimeter team.  Once he gets here and practices with our guys and starts playing our bully ball style, I think he may be even better than his projections.

billiken_roy likes this