Welcome Francis Okoro!

brianstl

1 hour ago, TheChosenOne said:

Agree. Obviously there are a lot of bad situations right now, but I do feel for these guys like Goodwin and French who declared for the draft in the hopes of getting in front of NBA teams and receiving feedback regardless of their chances of being drafted. I would be curious to hear if they get anything out of the process given the situation.

I’m sure they will get some feedback.

These NBA teams pay millions of dollars to find diamonds in the rough. They aren’t going to miss checking out guys who put up numbers like Goodwin and French.

It might not be as thorough of an evaluation as they normally would get but up sure they have scouts going over their game tapes. 

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, dlarry said:

I’m sure they will get some feedback.

These NBA teams pay millions of dollars to find diamonds in the rough. They aren’t going to miss checking out guys who put up numbers like Goodwin and French.

It might not be as thorough of an evaluation as they normally would get but up sure they have scouts going over their game tapes. 

Yeah, that’s what I am curious to hear about. I assume that is what they will receive which is still of value, but something I’m interested in once the process is over.

While I agree both JGood's and Has' chances at being drafted in Rds 1 or 2, are not good, I'm not so sure JGood might not get an offer as a UDFA. Yes, I could see where some would question his perimeter game, but he's got the size, body, and heart going for him. He's a unique player, and the NBA may think they can improve his shot. Now, whether that would turn his head at this point I have no idea. I wonder what Bess would advise him to do if he's offered that opportunity. It was how he got onto the Pelicans and then onto their G league team. I'm not sure what G League guys make, but I seem to recall reading it's around $50k minimum.  

My concern for losing JGood  is the situation come Sept and Oct as far as what the college season will look like, ie full blown schedule or start in January? He might, if given the UDFA opportunity, just say why not jump now if it's a half year? I'm convinced he's all in on Team Blue, but he also wants to be in the NBA someday. Tough choice, IF it presents itself. 

I'm not overly worried about Has's chances at this point. Without any kind of perimeter game it wouldn't seem his chances are too great at this time. Yes, he'd play his heart out for any NBA team, but that's probably not a good enough reason to make him an offer. I love the guy and everything he does for this team and hope his game develops to the point where reaching his dreams are not such a stretch. 

Here's hoping they both stay, but they've got to do what they think is best for their lives at this stage. They're already Billiken Greats. 

22 minutes ago, slu72 said:

While I agree both JGood's and Has' chances at being drafted in Rds 1 or 2, are not good, I'm not so sure JGood might not get an offer as a UDFA. Yes, I could see where some would question his perimeter game, but he's got the size, body, and heart going for him. He's a unique player, and the NBA may think they can improve his shot. Now, whether that would turn his head at this point I have no idea. I wonder what Bess would advise him to do if he's offered that opportunity. It was how he got onto the Pelicans and then onto their G league team. I'm not sure what G League guys make, but I seem to recall reading it's around $50k minimum.  

My concern for losing JGood  is the situation come Sept and Oct as far as what the college season will look like, ie full blown schedule or start in January? He might, if given the UDFA opportunity, just say why not jump now if it's a half year? I'm convinced he's all in on Team Blue, but he also wants to be in the NBA someday. Tough choice, IF it presents itself. 

I'm not overly worried about Has's chances at this point. Without any kind of perimeter game it wouldn't seem his chances are too great at this time. Yes, he'd play his heart out for any NBA team, but that's probably not a good enough reason to make him an offer. I love the guy and everything he does for this team and hope his game develops to the point where reaching his dreams are not such a stretch. 

Here's hoping they both stay, but they've got to do what they think is best for their lives at this stage. They're already Billiken Greats. 

I agree with you 72, but I think if J-Good could improve his outside shot his senior season, he could have a chance to get drafted. I would never blame somebody for making money, but if JGood comes back, he has much better chance of sticking in the league, in my opinion. It depends on how much he needs/wants the immediate money. In terms of his long term prospects as a player, I think it would benefit him to come back for his senior year. I’d like to think I’ve removed as much of my Bills fan bias as possible in making that point, but I do realize that it’s really easy for me to say on the outside. We’ll see. 

45 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

I agree with you 72, but I think if J-Good could improve his outside shot his senior season, he could have a chance to get drafted. I would never blame somebody for making money, but if JGood comes back, he has much better chance of sticking in the league, in my opinion. It depends on how much he needs/wants the immediate money. In terms of his long term prospects as a player, I think it would benefit him to come back for his senior year. I’d like to think I’ve removed as much of my Bills fan bias as possible in making that point, but I do realize that it’s really easy for me to say on the outside. We’ll see. 

And most of all, he can complete his college degree.  Sure he can make some bucks playing pro b-ball, but the degree will pay him dividends for his future beyond hoops.  I think he comes back.  Professional ball, at whatever level will still be there.  Sure, go pro if he has round 1 NBA potential.  But .....

Reinert310 likes this

2 hours ago, slu72 said:

Agree with what you said on NBA scouts finding him unique and could be intrigued by his skill set.  He is unique.  I’d like a list how many guards in NCAA Division 1 history have averaged a double double with rebounds.  There wont be a sabermetrics department in the league where this won’t be brought up.

If he’s looking for exposure and a platform to show off this talent, a preseason top 30-35 team in the country primed to win the conference and compete in the tourney is pretty ideal for any prospect coming out.  We expect to attract national attention next season with JGood as the unquestioned leader.  Up his shooting percentages a touch and keep his motor going and he will have a chance at getting drafted in the 2nd round in 2021.  He’ll sign a better 2nd round rookie contact that the UDFA and it all works out.

Like I said in an earlier post, I think it will become an easy decision.  He’s all in on Team Blue.

Zink likes this

The problem with today's NBA is it's a monoculture.  Every team's style of play is very similar.  There's not a single team playing bully ball.  Goodwin could have gotten a look from the 1980s Detroit Pistons or 1990s New York Knicks but the coaches who employed those strategies are long gone from the profession.

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

The problem with today's NBA is it's a monoculture.  Every team's style of play is very similar.  There's not a single team playing bully ball.  Goodwin could have gotten a look from the 1980s Detroit Pistons or 1990s New York Knicks but the coaches who employed those strategies are long gone from the profession.

NBA.  No press, restricted defenses, lack of defensive intensity, lack of team spirit, lack of defense, predictable, competitiveness of the league not good, one on one mentality ..... in a word BORING.

6 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

NBA.  No press, restricted defenses, lack of defensive intensity, lack of team spirit, lack of defense, predictable, competitiveness of the league not good, one on one mentality ..... in a word BORING.

Do you watch the current NBA? There are drastically different styles in play. The off the ball movement and stretch shooting featured by Golden State is downright revolutionary. Meanwhile, the Bucks want to push the ball through a Big Man who is re-defining what an athlete at his size can do. Down in Houston, the spread the floor for isolation from outside like no team has ever done before. The Lakers use extraordinary talent and experience to win. San Antonio is still focused on the team first. Defense is light during the long regular season, but int he playoffs it is intense and outstanding. 

39 minutes ago, davidnark said:

Do you watch the current NBA? There are drastically different styles in play. The off the ball movement and stretch shooting featured by Golden State is downright revolutionary. Meanwhile, the Bucks want to push the ball through a Big Man who is re-defining what an athlete at his size can do. Down in Houston, the spread the floor for isolation from outside like no team has ever done before. The Lakers use extraordinary talent and experience to win. San Antonio is still focused on the team first. Defense is light during the long regular season, but int he playoffs it is intense and outstanding. 

I want to give you a good post but there is no icon. Can’t a moderator get a good post?

Crewsorlose likes this

37 minutes ago, davidnark said:

To each their own, but I couldn’t be any less interested in the NBA. Yes, they’re the best players in the world. Yes, there are a few special players who might be worth watching on any given night. But the complete lack of effort and matador defense on a regular basis is a huge turnoff. The fact that they basically no longer have to dribble and still not get called for a travel. The amount possessions consisting of nothing but ISO plays for the “Star”. And the fact that all star players are taking “rest nights” for nationally televised games in November is, quite frankly, nauseating. I know it’s popularity has never been higher and I’m in the minority, but it’s just mind-numbingly boring to me.

bauman likes this

2 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

To each their own, but I couldn’t be any less interested in the NBA. Yes, they’re the best players in the world. Yes, there are a few special players who might be worth watching on any given night. But the complete lack of effort and matador defense on a regular basis is a huge turnoff. The fact that they basically no longer have to dribble and still not get called for a travel. The amount possessions consisting of nothing but ISO plays for the “Star”. And the fact that all star players are taking “rest nights” for nationally televised games in November is, quite frankly, nauseating. I know it’s popularity has never been higher and I’m in the minority, but it’s just mind-numbingly boring to me.

Not to mention the players complain about officiating more than the Billikens board in a game day thread...which is a high bar. Lol

47 minutes ago, davidnark said:

All these offenses are variations of "kick the ball out to your shooters."  Which does a player like JGood no good.

TheChosenOne and brianstl like this

Count me in the camp that has no interest in the NBA.  Nark makes a good point or two or three but I don't care for the mercenary attitudes or guys like LeBron and Hardin and Irving all saying come play with me and we'll win a ring.  Who cares?  Next year you'll be off to Utah or Okie City or wherever else folks want to pay your astronomical prices.  Lst I knew, it cost $40 bucks to sit in the top row of the Verizon Center to watch the Wizards battle the Cavs.  No thanks.

Whether you choose to watch the NBA is obviously a personal decision, but right now the league has the best collection of good, unique and charismatic superstars that has ever been assembled in any league and sport. Plus, the NBA league leadership allows them the freedom to showcase and build their individual brands. Durant, Curry, Lebron, Giannis, Westbrook, Kyrie, Chris Paul, Harden, Beal, Tatum, Zion, Trae Young, and many more -- these guys are charitable and generous and engage with fans and the media better than anyone before not named Jordan. Simply put -- good guys and amazing basketball players and athletes. If you chose not to watch and follow, you are missing out. The worst part of not having a team in St. Louis is we lose all sense of how popular and global the NBA has become. 

For my money, the most exciting sports to watch anymore are College Hoops, a tight match in a Golf Major, and the NFL. I'm sure the NBA is chock full of exciting players, but it still looks like an advanced version of street ball to my eye. College hoops still offers the drama of  David knocking off Goliath, eg Evansville over UK, Steven Austin over Duke. It's fun watching the heavyweights get TKO's by the bantam weights. It's what makes the NCAA tourney so much fun and exciting to watch. I know there are upsets in the NBA, but, really, who cares. They have 79 other games to make up for an unlikely upset. College teams don't have that luxury. 

While D1 hoops is not perfect, the one and done rule most notably, it comes at the time of the year when there's not much else going on and a great way to spend a weekday evening or a lazy Saturday/Sunday afternoon. Even college FB doesn't offer the kind of thrills hoops does. Does Ga State stand a ghost of a chance against Alabama in Bear Bryant Stadium?  Not an ice cube's chance in hell, while they do have that shot in hoops.  

15 minutes ago, davidnark said:

Whether you choose to watch the NBA is obviously a personal decision, but right now the league has the best collection of good, unique and charismatic superstars that has ever been assembled in any league and sport. Plus, the NBA league leadership allows them the freedom to showcase and build their individual brands. Durant, Curry, Lebron, Giannis, Westbrook, Kyrie, Chris Paul, Harden, Beal, Tatum, Zion, Trae Young, and many more -- these guys are charitable and generous and engage with fans and the media better than anyone before not named Jordan. Simply put -- good guys and amazing basketball players and athletes. If you chose not to watch and follow, you are missing out. The worst part of not having a team in St. Louis is we lose all sense of how popular and global the NBA has become. 

This is the biggest part of it. St. Louis largely ignores the NBA because it doesn't have a team and doesn't have a nearby team to call for. If either of those things weren't true people would love it and you wouldn't hear comments about how it's boring, they don't play defense, etc. It's all about having a team to call for.

14 hours ago, Reinert310 said:

Not to mention the players complain about officiating more than the Billikens board in a game day thread...which is a high bar. Lol

The one thing that really bothers me about the NBA, and it shouldn't, is that they play music during live play. Reminds me of Ambush games at Kiel Center.

16 minutes ago, davidnark said:

i am not a full fledged back to the nba fan.   but i will admit i now watch occasionally.   My return was mainly due the warriors run.  I love watching steph curry and enjoyed durrant as well while he was there.   imo, it is no longer the farce of a game the nba became in the 90's with traveling and turning the ball over nonstop, little defense, and all about me obvious attitudes.   not saying it has returned to the glory years, but it is a lot better than it used to be.  curry is an old school player imo and i just love to watch him play.

i do agree with taj on the mercenary aspect of some of the players which indeed is a turnoff.   lebron heading off to the lakers and then recruiting his support staff (third time he's done this) reeks.   if i was cleveland i would declare my forever hatred for him.   and ticket and concession prices are beyond sickening, unless you restrict your viewing to your living room which i pretty much do.  

2 minutes ago, kshoe said:

This is the biggest part of it. St. Louis largely ignores the NBA because it doesn't have a team and doesn't have a nearby team to call for. If either of those things weren't true people would love it and you wouldn't hear comments about how it's boring, they don't play defense, etc. It's all about having a team to call for.

Like so many disagreements on this board, a lot of it is generational.   I know it's largely anecdotal, but my personal experiences have been that the NBA is a lot more popular with the under 40 crowd than the over 50 crowd that are the heart and soul of this board.

billiken_roy likes this

2 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

The one thing that really bothers me about the NBA, and it shouldn't, is that they play music during live play. Reminds me of Ambush games at Kiel Center.

this is likely because a lot of the attendees really arent basketball fans and are just there to be seen.   so the game itself is boring to them so they really are there for the party.   not everyone, but enough for the facility to try to entertain them.  

but i agree with you, it is not why i would come to watch and it would be distracting.  

I have had to travel the world the last decade for my job, and I am always amazed at how visible the NBA is throughout the world. I see billboards, shoes, jerseys, etc. for NBA stars in China, India, Spain, and even Germany and the UK. It is everywhere, and sports fans all over the world know the NBA stars. Perhaps only the English Premier League is more prominent. Ironically, the NBA felt more visible in Shanghai, China than St. Louis. 

1 minute ago, 3star_recruit said:

Like so many disagreements on this board, a lot of it is generational.   I know it's largely anecdotal, but my personal experiences have been that the NBA is a lot more popular with the under 40 crowd than the over 50 crowd that are the heart and soul of this board.

My 14-year old son and his friends certainly favor the NBA over the other sports. They don't really watch baseball. It seems like NBA and Euro Soccer is what the kids follow. The popularity of FIFA Soccer and NBA2K certainly help fuel their interest.