Welcome Francis Okoro!

brianstl

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is an amazing pick-up that fits our roster almost perfectly.  I think the health issues are significant but he has plenty of time to recuperate and get ready.  I have no idea how this will fit into our 13 slots; and I have no new inside info or anything; but I will say, that for a variety of reasons I will not spell out, I would not be overly shocked if either JG or HF are not back. 

For one thing, (and again, this is just my own thought and not any prediction): but inch by inch, it appears there is a fairly likely chance that campus will remain closed through the New Year -- if not longer.  that scenario would almost certainly have an impact on graduating seniors... I'm just sayin', think about it.

1 hour ago, thetorch said:

That has nothing to do with a scholarship. A player signs a financial aid agreement that states the school has offered him an athletic scholarship. This is in place of not signing an NLI. Strictly an agreement between the player and school.

OK now I have the answer - thanks

1 hour ago, TheChosenOne said:

I think that medical scholarship or other full rides a player can get who is moving off of an athletic scholarship requires the player to medically retire or no longer be a member of the team. Thatch being moved off of scholarship but staying on the team and playing as a walk on would really surprise me.

Yes.   Good example of Paul Eckerle - though not the same as with Fred.   And what is the name of the local 6'4" guard/kid who blew his knee out under Majerus? Did he medically retire?  Wasn't he given a scholarship to finish school at SLU to honor SLU's 4 year commitment but we were able to remove him from athletic scholarship?   You're right, he did not try to then walk on.  I wouldn't think you can. And didn't he announce/possibly decide to play for UMSL?  Did he go there? How did it out?  Real shame b/c he had so much talent.

Just now, Clock_Tower said:

Yes.   Good example of Paul Eckerle - though not the same as with Fred.   And what is the name of the local 6'4" guard/kid who blew his knee out under Majerus? Did he medically retire?  Wasn't he given a scholarship to finish school at SLU to honor SLU's 4 year commitment but we were able to remove him from athletic scholarship?   You're right, he did not try to then walk on.  I wouldn't think you can. And didn't he announce/possibly decide to play for UMSL?  Did he go there? How did it out?  Real shame b/c he had so much talent.

Femi John

13 minutes ago, DoctorB said:

This is an amazing pick-up that fits our roster almost perfectly.  I think the health issues are significant but he has plenty of time to recuperate and get ready.  I have no idea how this will fit into our 13 slots; and I have no new inside info or anything; but I will say, that for a variety of reasons I will not spell out, I would not be overly shocked if either JG or HF are not back. 

For one thing, (and again, this is just my own thought and not any prediction): but inch by inch, it appears there is a fairly likely chance that campus will remain closed through the New Year -- if not longer.  that scenario would almost certainly have an impact on graduating seniors... I'm just sayin', think about it.

Doc B.  Go ahead and take your fear mongering to the Coronvirus thread. 

billiken_roy likes this

27 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Doc B.  Go ahead and take your fear mongering to the Coronvirus thread. 

Sorry, I really do not want to monger in fear!  But people are speculating about roster spots.  I think if you, or anyone, believes the corona situation is a non-factor in any of this, I guess time will tell.  But I'm really just asking if it might become a factor.  People on here tend to talk about all of this as if nothing is going to change... or we will just suddenly be back to normal...  sorry for suggesting it may not be that simple.

HoosierPal and cheeseman like this

2 minutes ago, DoctorB said:

Sorry, I really do not want to monger in fear!  But people are speculating about roster spots.  I think if you, or anyone, believes the corona situation is a non-factor in any of this, I guess time will tell.  But I'm really just asking if it might become a factor.  People on here tend to talk about all of this as if nothing is going to change... or we will just suddenly be back to normal...  sorry for suggesting it may not be that simple.

Respectfully, it’s more that everyone realizes this, yet it doesn’t need to be mentioned every step of the way.

cgeldmacher likes this

1 minute ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Respectfully, it’s more that everyone realizes this, yet it doesn’t need to be mentioned every step of the way.

Respectfully is good, thanks.  But respectfully;  I actually read through this entire topic, and so far, I was the first and only person to suggest that roster spots may have some relationship with this ongoing crisis.  Makes perfect sense to me, and I am a higher ed insider who thinks about all this in relation to higher ed, so I just brought it up.

almaman likes this

1 hour ago, DoctorB said:

If campuses remain closed until the New Year I find it hard to believe lower level basketball leagues will be playing.

The NBA might open operations but these two aren’t NBA ready.

If the G league and over seas leagues aren’t open these two will be left with 2 options

1. Remain in school, earn a degree, possibly play college ball.

2. Sit on your couch, workout on your own and hope the G league returns to action.

Clock_Tower likes this

29 minutes ago, DoctorB said:

Respectfully is good, thanks.  But respectfully;  I actually read through this entire topic, and so far, I was the first and only person to suggest that roster spots may have some relationship with this ongoing crisis.  Makes perfect sense to me, and I am a higher ed insider who thinks about all this in relation to higher ed, so I just brought it up.

My son goes to a Big 10 school. If they dont open up for the fall I will talk him into transferring to a school that is open. If private schools think parents are going go pay their over priced tuitions for online classes they are crazy.

There will be a football and basketball season. To much money would be lost.

2 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

I think that medical scholarship or other full rides a player can get who is moving off of an athletic scholarship requires the player to medically retire or no longer be a member of the team. Thatch being moved off of scholarship but staying on the team and playing as a walk on would really surprise me.

2 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

That could not happen. Medical scholarship = no play.

2 hours ago, DoctorB said:

If next season requires that getting into Chaifetz requires a temperature check, mask and gloves to see Okoro working with the team on the pre-game shoot around I am all in.

My cheering for Okoro walking through the tunnel will be muffled by the mask.

The Okoro commit is another rabbit that our magician coach pulled out of his magic hat.

2 hours ago, slu72 said:

Congrats. Another Billiken Beauty! Hope mom and Lillian are doing well. 

All is great. And though they make the hospital stay MuCH shorter currently ( 48 hours). When forced to stay in a room for 48 hours, it is all the more painful not to have sports to entertain. 
I usually watch the news, but since the only topic anymore is corona, we just left the tv off. 
I have a feeling we’ll see basketball yet from the Billikens in 2020. 
let’s go bills. 

You can do academic scholarship if you have a partial athletic scholarship. Soccer players do it all the time. However basketball scholarships are 100% so it’s all or nothing. You could theoretically be a walk on with academic scholarships but SLU could face investigation if a prominent player goes to walk on with full academic scholarship. 

also I believe academic scholarships don’t cover room and board which an athletic would if I’m correct. My friends who were presidential scholarship went off campus when they could. I believe the basketball guys stay on campus. 

Anyways not in Fred’s best interest. Correct me if I’m wrong though 

3 hours ago, BilliKat said:

Wow! What a week! 
my sweet Lillian Kathleen arrived on Wednesday and now okoro? 
sometimes, life is just GREAT!

F4407119-CF1D-4EA0-BE4F-23974464C8CB.jpeg

-Congratulations!! adorable little one, glad to hear all is going well, she'll be too young to remember our first National Championship, record and keep it for her!

BilliKat likes this

35 minutes ago, Franchise_08 said:

And this one too...wouldn’t this fire you up as a local recruit to stay home?

The first second I saw it I was like phhhh, kick rocks you left for Florida. Then I was thinking about all the high school players across the country that follow him and will see it. 

1 hour ago, dlarry said:

If campuses remain closed until the New Year I find it hard to believe lower level basketball leagues will be playing.

The NBA might open operations but these two aren’t NBA ready.

If the G league and over seas leagues aren’t open these two will be left with 2 options

1. Remain in school, earn a degree, possibly play college ball.

2. Sit on your couch, workout on your own and hope the G league returns to action.

dreary, topical unfortunately true

3 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

I don’t know the exact rules, but in the one example a player has to medically retire to receive a scholarship without counting towards the limit (Femi John as you said) and I recall Nebraska trying to move guys off of the team when Hoiberg took over and the players could remain as students with the full ride scholarship that was committed to them, but could not be members of the team. I suppose a guy could chose to become a walk-on giving up their scholarship, but I’m not sure what sort of scholarship opportunities are available to them in the scenario or if they would have to pay full freight. Probably not something players the level of Thatch would do very often. I’d have to do some research to see if I could find some examples. Maybe if a guy could afford to do so? Something like this would certainly draw big time scrutiny since if Thatch is healthy you are basically going around the scholarship limit.

2 hours ago, Sheltiedave said:

That could not happen. Medical scholarship = no play.

Right, that’s what I posted. I think that would just leave the option of a kid actively deciding to forfeit the scholarship and become a walk-on? Which I just can’t imagine happens very often.

And to be clear, I was just responding to a post I saw, I would in no way endorse this for any of the guys on our roster.