NCAA moves toward allowing athletes to be paid sponsors

Brighton

1 hour ago, Compton said:

Let's say you were a pre-med student on scholarship that got a summer job as a laboratory assistant at a pharmaceutical company, but the schools with the top 353 pre-med programs (including at least one for-profit school) got together, formed an organization, and declared that if you got paid for your lab work - or got paid for anything relating to being a pre-med student whatsoever - you would be violating the sanctity and purity of being a pre-med student, would be investigated, suspended from performing lab work and might lose your scholarship. However, there would be nothing preventing the lab from negotiating directly with the organization to pay them for the benefit of your labor. You would get nothing. Your benefit from your hard work would be capped at the value of your scholarship (which your school could pull at any time), any further fruits of your labor would flow directly to the 353 schools. Because again, that would be inappropriate and untoward and violate the purity and righteousness of what it means to be pre-med. 

The proposed changes aren't sickening. They're way past due. 

i dont think slu med students are on full scholarships with room, board and tuition with a per diem meal allowance when on the road.   

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All it takes for any school to keep up with or outspend the big boys is one determined donor with deep pockets. This isn’t football where you need to fund dozens of players.  You get a billionaire donor that decides it is better to spend a few million a year on players to sponsor one his companies instead of putting his money into the coach’s salary and all of sudden you are a big time player in this game.

Coaches, particularly basketball coaches, are going to be the biggest losers if this happens.

I think if Billiken BB becomes a factor on the St L sports scene some players could make out well under this deal. 
Guarantee, UD players will make money off of this. They are  the show in Dayton and the community backs them big time. Perfect set up for the Flyers. If SLU could ever achieve the success of a Zaga, we might get some backers. 

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

All it takes for any school to keep up with or outspend the big boys is one determined donor with deep pockets. This isn’t football where you need to fund dozens of players.  You get a billionaire donor that decides it is better to spend a few million a year on players to sponsor one his companies instead of putting his money into the coach’s salary and all of sudden you are a big time player in this game.

Coaches, particularly basketball coaches, are going to be the biggest losers if this happens.

Agreed. The Bills have a T. Boone Pickens. Kroenke is too busy screwing people over in California to care about Mizzou. 

I may be wrong about this but my understanding is that the administration just declared that they had a deficit of $20 M for last year and were worried about what this coming year would bring. This, of course, was a first public notice that budget tightening may be coming to SLU soon. While some of the top athletic programs may bring some money to SLU,  this coming season they may or may not be able to count upon having streams of income from attendance to sports events and or tournaments like the NCAA BB tournaments. How are the kids going to handle getting sponsorships? will they need agents? will the schools be charged by NCAA with arranging sponsorships? For that matter did SLU get any money from NCAA last season? There was supposed to be a fair amount of NCAA funds to be distributed among the member schools (with some of the money based upon tournament participation, which did not happen), did we get any? Is the NCAA providing rules detailing how this sponsorship program will work? If every school has to work out its own sponsorship program, it will cost money, which may or may not be available this coming year, to develop the sponsorship program. Where is this money going to come from?

I may be wrong, but I think the NCAA tourney money takes a year or two before it’s distributed. We always get a check, but the amount is determined by how many schools the conference gets in and more if you’re  a tourney team. If I’m wrong please correct me. 

34 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I may be wrong, but I think the NCAA tourney money takes a year or two before it’s distributed. We always get a check, but the amount is determined by how many schools the conference gets in and more if you’re  a tourney team. If I’m wrong please correct me. 

March 26, 2020
4:42 PM

Since the cancellation of March Madness and the NCAA’s other winter and spring championship events because of the coronavirus, conferences and schools have been bracing themselves for what the economic impact could be.

The NCAA gave a painful first glimpse Thursday, announcing that its Board of Governors voted unanimously to distribute $225 million in June — $375 million less than the $600 million it had originally budgeted for distribution in April.

For many athletic departments, the eventual disbursement will arrive as a reality check of a murky financial future that likely won’t clear up anytime soon.

SLU_Lax likes this

Thank you HoosierPal, this kind of confirms the economic picture the schools are facing that I posted above. The Schools will get this year approximately 37.5% of the money they expected to receive from NCAA. I also assume the money will not be distributed evenly, so some programs will get very little this June.