NCAA moves toward allowing athletes to be paid sponsors

Brighton

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

43 minutes ago, dlarry said:

Is this being done because the NCAA knows that the Kentucky’s, Arizona’s, Kansas’s, etc. of the world have been doing this all along and they are worried it’s all going to come out? 
This way instead of punishing them they can say “well it’s legal now so we really don’t need to punish them.” 

TJ why would this be a bad post?  

45 minutes ago, dlarry said:

Is this being done because the NCAA knows that the Kentucky’s, Arizona’s, Kansas’s, etc. of the world have been doing this all along and they are worried it’s all going to come out? 
This way instead of punishing them they can say “well it’s legal now so we really don’t need to punish them.” 

The majority of the committee who approves this measure come from Mid-Major and Low-Major conferences. The blue-bloods you mention above don't have the power within the NCAA to pass this change (or really any change) unilaterally. 

20 minutes ago, NH said:

The majority of the committee who approves this measure come from Mid-Major and Low-Major conferences. The blue-bloods you mention above don't have the power within the NCAA to pass this change (or really any change) unilaterally. 

-so you are saying it is solely the makeup of this committee, no other influence in play?

4 hours ago, Cowboy said:

-so you are saying it is solely the makeup of this committee, no other influence in play?

No, but I do believe some on this board overstate the ability of blue-blood schools to pass NCAA legislation.

the whole concept makes one feel dirty.   it is a sad day for college athletics the day this happens because obviously the ncaa feels they cant control it under the table and they dont want to get their precious blue bloods.   sickening imo.  and it makes me mad that our st louis columnists are supporting this b.s.

38 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

the whole concept makes one feel dirty.   it is a sad day for college athletics the day this happens because obviously the ncaa feels they cant control it under the table and they dont want to get their precious blue bloods.   sickening imo.  and it makes me mad that our st louis columnists are supporting this b.s.

Agree.

I just read BenFreds article. I think he is way off on this one. 

Yeah, Tatum might have stayed home, but that would have kept Crews around. Tatum going to Duke for 1 year was the best thing to happen to SLU since Rick's hiring. 

I just wonder what these endorsements will do to team cohesiveness. Say, Jimerson and Lorentsson each average 15ppg and hitting 3's at an equal clip. Joe Blow's Chevy likes Jimerson more and gives him a deal, i.e. Car and money. Lorentsson gets no offers. Isn't he gonna be just a little miffed? I would be. 

3 hours ago, Bills_06 said:

Didn't read through this entire thread but BenFred talks about this in his column today.  Makes the argument Tatum had better chance staying at SLU if the rules change.

Link

I simply don't agree with the concept that somehow SLU and Mizzou can outspend Duke when it comes to recruiting players, which is what he's suggesting here.

By the way, I read the NCAA press release as basically saying schools won't be allowed to formally organize marketing opportunities and can't use that in the recruiting pitches. Good luck with that. It'll be the ultimate wink and nod.

Billiken Rich likes this

34 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I just wonder what these endorsements will do to team cohesiveness. Say, Jimerson and Lorentsson each average 15ppg and hitting 3's at an equal clip. Joe Blow's Chevy likes Jimerson more and gives him a deal, i.e. Car and money. Lorentsson gets no offers. Isn't he gonna be just a little miffed? I would be. 

TeamBlue will pool their NLI dollars and share equally, right?😋

2 hours ago, slu72 said:

Yeah, Tatum might have stayed home, but that would have kept Crews around. Tatum going to Duke for 1 year was the best thing to happen to SLU since Rick's hiring. 

It’s OK Lorentsson will pick up offers from Ikea and Volvo.

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

The NCAA is not doing this with any type of value judgement. They are doing it because they are forced to by the states and the court system. 

On 4/24/2020 at 1:37 PM, NH said:

I am by no means an expert on this issue, but I really don't think this will change things as drastically as some believe. Realistically, how many St. Louis Cardinals players make meaningful money off of endorsement deals? There are tons of NBA players whose endorsement money consists of nothing other than residuals from video games and $20,000 in store credit to NIKE. This will certainly have a big impact on the Zion WIlliamson's of the world, but that type of player has historically always usually gone somewhere to maximize their exposure anyways. I could be totally wrong, and certainly understand why some people bristle at the thought. 

Side note, former Billiken Dustin Mcguire actually started a law firm to represent / market players, presumably with the idea that this rule would be coming to pass: https://nameimagelikeness.com/about-maguire-law-firm/

Off the top of my head Maroon and O’Reilly are the only two Blues I can think of that did tv endorsements this past year. Maroon did a gym endorsement on Instagram too.

2 hours ago, kshoe said:

I simply don't agree with the concept that somehow SLU and Mizzou can outspend Duke when it comes to recruiting players, which is what he's suggesting here.

-I don't really care about Mizzou in this unless they can outspend SLU, which I think they can or could, but to think SLU could outspend Duke is ridiculous to me, heck look no further than the former Duke players in the NBA who could pay for whatever

-which leads to another possible angle, can Jay Bilas hype Duke more than he already does to specific players he becomes aware of that Duke is recruiting? it is not cash for using the likeness, but another advantage - could he buy a commercial on ESPN with him talking to a Duke player and pay the player for the appearance?

-can the salary of the coach go into this money for the players? if so Coach K makes over $7mil and CFord makes less than that, I guess, so there's another possible angle

2 hours ago, kshoe said:

How often are we actually competing with Duke for recruits? Tatum and who else? Point is, the blue bloods will continue to get the cream of the crop regardless of this rule change.  Does this rule change in any way benefit us against the schools we usually compete with for recruits (mid-tier P5 schools, and upper tier mid-majors)?   

Yuri should get a deal w/ Mazda for a Miata. 

Perkins gets a Caddy- Smooth ride

JGood- Jeep Gladiator- versatile 

French- Any Pickup Truck - Tough and dependable

Lotentsson- Volvo- Swedish Sniper

Linnsen- Mercedes or Porsche- German Quality

Jimmy Bell- Ford 350 pickup- Big and powerful

Hargrove- Corvette- fast and athletic

Jimerson- Lexus- Total quality

7 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

Let's say you were a pre-med student on scholarship that got a summer job as a laboratory assistant at a pharmaceutical company, but the schools with the top 353 pre-med programs (including at least one for-profit school) got together, formed an organization, and declared that if you got paid for your lab work - or got paid for anything relating to being a pre-med student whatsoever - you would be violating the sanctity and purity of being a pre-med student, would be investigated, suspended from performing lab work and might lose your scholarship. However, there would be nothing preventing the lab from negotiating directly with the organization to pay them for the benefit of your labor. You would get nothing. Your benefit from your hard work would be capped at the value of your scholarship (which your school could pull at any time), any further fruits of your labor would flow directly to the 353 schools. Because again, that would be inappropriate and untoward and violate the purity and righteousness of what it means to be pre-med. 

The proposed changes aren't sickening. They're way past due.