NCAA moves toward allowing athletes to be paid sponsors

Brighton

The NCAA is moving closer to allowing Division I athletes to earn money from endorsements and sponsorship deals they can strike on their own as early as next year.

Recommended rule changes that would clear the way for athletes to earn money from their names, images and likeness are being reviewed by college sports administrators this week before being sent to the NCAA Board of Governors, which meets Monday and Tuesday.

If adopted, the rules would allow athletes to make sponsorship and endorsement deals with all kinds of companies and third parties

https://apnews.com/a059f16cba96ce115152b577a97e3ea6

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok not to start a separate topic on $$ in college athletics but have u noticed the coaching carousel in 2020 is moving at a snail's pace. Most, if not all per Yahoo sports, have been in the lower mids. No majors have announced changes. 

Furthermore, Stu asked Pestello if furloughs or cuts would be forthcoming at SLU. "We're looking at it." was the answer. I would guess there are cuts coming. Will it affect Ford and staff? I'd assume yes. Will it mean wholesale departures, I'd guess NO. Where are they gonna go and not face the same uncertainty? Nowhere. 

5 hours ago, Brighton said:

This seems like a good idea. I don't see how it changes much. 

Kids might choose schools based slightly more on which brands the coach is affiliated with and how many games the team has nationally televised. 

Endorsers might pay more to endorse kids at the top schools (Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, etc...) that have more nationally televised games. 

Generally, it will make it marginally harder for small market teams (less local television coverage) and teams in lower tier conferences (less national media coverage) to entice kids.  But it's not like kids will be flocking to Fordham, Manhattan College and LIU-Brooklyn over the Gonzagas, WKUs, Murray States and Wichita States of the world. 

The top 5* kids will be able to go wherever they want since endorsers will want to ingratiate themselves early with future NBA first round picks.

Mostly it would just amplify the current dynamics.  

7 hours ago, Compton said:

This seems like a good idea. I don't see how it changes much. 

Kids might choose schools based slightly more on which brands the coach is affiliated with and how many games the team has nationally televised. 

Endorsers might pay more to endorse kids at the top schools (Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, etc...) that have more nationally televised games. 

Generally, it will make it marginally harder for small market teams (less local television coverage) and teams in lower tier conferences (less national media coverage) to entice kids.  But it's not like kids will be flocking to Fordham, Manhattan College and LIU-Brooklyn over the Gonzagas, WKUs, Murray States and Wichita States of the world. 

The top 5* kids will be able to go wherever they want since endorsers will want to ingratiate themselves early with future NBA first round picks.

Mostly it would just amplify the current dynamics.  

I think it will change things a lot. Teams which can offer players a high likelihood of real money will be stronger. Some new teams from bigger markets will suddenly become powerhouses. For example, St. John’s or DePaul could always attract talent, but lacked the organization to sustain success. Now, it may not be necessary. Another interesting thing will be watching how other teams that still want to be in the hunt for those players react. The duffel bags used to shuttle cash may grow by an order of magnitude. 

This is essentially pay for play. There is really no way around it. If you are for a free agency type market then you should be for this. If you don't want players to be paid disparate amounts then you should be against this. Personally I would have been for paying the players a fixed amount, not an open free agency like this really is. Double down with the potential for not sitting out for transferring, and it will become a bidding war.

At Kentucky, they will line up sponsors all across the state and Calipari will use that as part of his recruiting pitch. If you come here, we've got car dealership offering 20k a year and KFC offering 40k, etc. SLU will do the same thing but it'll be at places like the pasta house, the parking spot, etc.

Players always have had the tough decision of deciding between going to a blue blood school and potentially riding the bench vs. playing a ton at a mid major vs. now they'll have to also decide between disparate amounts of "semi-guaranteed" endorsement deals.

1 hour ago, kshoe said:

This is essentially pay for play. There is really no way around it. If you are for a free agency type market then you should be for this. If you don't want players to be paid disparate amounts then you should be against this. Personally I would have been for paying the players a fixed amount, not an open free agency like this really is. Double down with the potential for not sitting out for transferring, and it will become a bidding war.

At Kentucky, they will line up sponsors all across the state and Calipari will use that as part of his recruiting pitch. If you come here, we've got car dealership offering 20k a year and KFC offering 40k, etc. SLU will do the same thing but it'll be at places like the pasta house, the parking spot, etc.

Players always have had the tough decision of deciding between going to a blue blood school and potentially riding the bench vs. playing a ton at a mid major vs. now they'll have to also decide between disparate amounts of "semi-guaranteed" endorsement deals.

Kshoe, sorry for the bad post, I hit the wrong icon. I totally agree with you on this issue. Good Post. 

1 hour ago, willie said:

Yes but this makes it legal and worse. 

Worse for the people that are paying.  This is a winner-take-all society were the superstars get paid big-time, the next tier gets paid OK and everyone else gets paid peanuts.  The donors are going to pay a lot more for the players they were already getting, a la baseball after Curt Flood.

Couple this with the no sit out a year rule, and mid majors will get nuked. Not only do you not need to sit out a year, we got a car dealership that will give you a loaner and a grand a month stipend. All you gotta do is show up one Saturday a month and autograph basketballs. How much do you think Calipari would have got for Obi to jump ship after his FR year at DU? 

This will only create greater disparity between the haves and the have nots, which I think the NCAA silently supports. And since all colleges will now be under greater financial pressure due to the virus, I think most big schools will support it as well. The day of the student athlete was in the rear view mirror anyways, with this rule it becomes a total sham. 

billiken_roy likes this

5 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Couple this with the no sit out a year rule, and mid majors will get nuked. Not only do you not need to sit out a year, we got a car dealership that will give you a loaner and a grand a month stipend. All you gotta do is show up one Saturday a month and autograph basketballs. How much do you think Calipari would have got for Obi to jump ship after his FR year at DU? 

This will only create greater disparity between the haves and the have nots, which I think the NCAA silently supports. And since all colleges will now be under greater financial pressure due to the virus, I think most big schools will support it as well. The day of the student athlete was in the rear view mirror anyways, with this rule it becomes a total sham. 

totally agree.  these two deveiopments are horrible for the game.   hate hate hate.   if these kids are that interested in paychecks, let them go pro asap.  do not need them in college if they dont want to be student athletes.   

college should be about the name on the front of the jersey not the back.  

Agent:  I have a bid of $125,000 for the player I represent.  Do I have $130,000?  $130,000 anyone.  Yes, the man in the blue suit, $130,000.  Anyone for $135,000? No.   $130,000 going once, twice, sold to the man in the blue suit. You just got yourself a fine player coach.

i've always said, just make it about academics and you could fix the mess.   100% of the ncaa police work is in academics.  let em get cars, money, strippers, whatever.   but they will honestly pass high school and the entrance tests and qualify at the college of their choice with the entrance requirements of every student.   they will take the required number of classes in college, pass on their own and always be on pace to graduate in a legitimate degree in the required time frame and graduate with a degree.   any early withdrawal results in them owing for the college classes and room and board to not graduate.

i would bet that the characters that want to major in basketball find another way to get to the nba.   

college basketball would not suffer.   i still say we watch for a sense of purity and innocence.  (yeah i know that sounds stupid) and if they are the next michael jordan as well all the better.  but if i am wrong, why wouldnt we all be watching the nba all the time instead of college basketball?   we just want to see player development and competitive basketball.   and most of the fans will watch and maybe more if they assured that pure student athletes are leaving it on the floor just for pride and loyalty to their school.   

this development is just sickening imo.  

59 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Kshoe, sorry for the bad post, I hit the wrong icon. I totally agree with you on this issue. Good Post. 

You can change your bad post designation. I don't know how long you can do it for, but if you put your cursor over the Billiken an X pops up. Click it to remove designation

7 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

You can change your bad post designation. I don't know how long you can do it for, but if you put your cursor over the Billiken an X pops up. Click it to remove designation

yeah skip gives me bad posts all the time.  then cools down and reluctantly removes.  

slufanskip likes this

Recruits could (if anyone thought about this) be given a choice between entering the marketplace for bids on what they are going to get paid, or receiving an academic scholarship. The amount of tuition, fees, and expenses paid by the scholarships could be prorated to the amount of money received by each individual student athlete. Any player receiving over X amount of money  would have to pay his own tuition and fees. This could be an interesting exercise.

My presumption about this is that every recruit will think they are going to get a lot of money plus a free scholarship. Even if there is no adjustment to the scholarship level, most players are likely to be getting little to nothing out of this program. Only the big stars will make significant money

This is the absolutely worst time for this development to be happening from a business standpoint.  This isn't the 1970s, when big money in sports was still in its infancy.  There isn't going to be an exponential increase in money flowing through NCAA coffers over the next 10 years.  It's a mature product.  The blue bloods will have to pay a lot more for the players they're already getting without a commensurate return on investment.  They're shooting themselves in the foot.