Analysis of our New Guys

If all goes well we may have a really deep and talented team next season. Ford will have all kinds of options as to how to play a game. I assume that Lorentssen and Strickland will have to go through some body building and training on the ways of the team before they are used much during games. I also think think that Linssen with have to firm up a bit (or a lot) before he is used regularly in this season. The big questions in my mind about next season are how well Diarra and Thatch will be able to play.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Linssen.  Sounds like most believe he could be our most immediate impact guy for us.  Yes, he fills a need, has experience and we had less depth with our bigs than our forwards.  Diarra is the unknown.  He could really step up and keep Marten on then bench or not. Marten appears more of a 5 than a 4 b/c of his shooting. I do, though, like 10.5 ppg, 2.7 fouls per game, 4.6 rebounds per game an his getting to the FT line 93 times and making nearly 70%

Lorentsson.  The obvious comparison is Cody Ellis being a similar height, good shooting foreign player.   CE, tough, was always a forward with some guard skills (shooting).   Lorentsson, though, appears to be a guard (dribbling, passing, shooting) with some forward skills (interior play, rebounding).  To me, this would be a big difference. It would also put him in the more crowed field of Jimerson, Perkins and Goodwin. Perkins, though, was not much of an interior player and while Goodwin is so intense and can play anywhere on the floor, maybe Andre can find room at the 4 in that none of our bigs (Diarra, Bell, French and Linssen) have a perimeter shot. 

Markhi.   Sorry, I still cannot figure out who this guy is.  Who he might be similar to.  What are his strengths/weaknesses?  Can he dribble?  Can he shoot?  Does he create his own shot or do best with a screen?  Is he best in transition or set pieces?  Thatch also plays great defense.   Goodwin also rebounds like no one else. Does he have another great skill?

A lot of the inside minutes will depend upon Jimmy Bell’s off season development. First, his conditioning- how many fast paced minutes can he give u before he tires? Second, his aggressiveness in the paint. I thought this was his biggest shortcoming last season. Too many times he was timid. Natural for a Frosh big. But if a little of French starts rubbing off on him, watch out. He could be a handful. Third, if he develops that 10-15 footer, he becomes a bigger weapon. All 3 come together for Jimmy, he should play 25 mpg. So French gets 32mpg, that leaves roughly 23mpg available for our 2 new 6’8 guys. And even then, as Taj says, matchups will play a role in who gets those minutes. If we’re playing a small team then they go to Perkins, Hargrove, Strickland, possibly even Jimerson at the 4. Hard to tell at this point, but nice to have so many options. 

13 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Markhi.   Sorry, I still cannot figure out who this guy is.  Who he might be similar to.  What are his strengths/weaknesses?  Can he dribble?  Can he shoot?  Does he create his own shot or do best with a screen?  Is he best in transition or set pieces?  Thatch also plays great defense.   Goodwin also rebounds like no one else. Does he have another great skill?

From the videos I've seen and scouting reports I've read (limited perspective I know) it seems like Strickland is an elite athlete who can play 2-4. Similar body type to Hargrove, though perhaps a little taller. Streaky shooter, whose ability to knock down 3s could go either way in college. Decent handle for a player his size, but won't be a primary ballhandler. I think he has the potential to be an elite defender who can guard multiple positions, as well as a versatile offensive piece who excels in transition. If he can develop a reliable three-point shot that is what could get him major minutes early. Would welcome others' perspective as well.

Zink likes this

Think about this for a second: 

starters: Yuri, JGood, Perkins, Bell, French

second 5/6 Jacobs, Thatch, Hargrove, Jimerson, Lorrensen, Linssen. 
Practices are gonna be fun to watch. 
I think that 2nd team could win 10-11 games in the A10. We’ve never been this deep. 

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

as i recently posted previously, if we truly are worthy of going 10+ deep, there is no excuse not to greatly speed up the tempo on both ends of the floor.   the roster for built for bully havoc.  

I hear you, but I'm not sure Coach is comfortable playing 10 with regular minutes.  I have looked at his OSU years, and he typically would have 8 in double digit minutes with one, two or three also getting into most games, but at single digit minutes.  I think it is a given that Goodwin and French will get their 30+ minutes per game, and Collins and Perkins will be with them or very close behind.  It will be interesting to see what Coach does.  ("We are deep" has been the reoccurring preseason theme for the last 2 seasons.  Stuff happens.)

8 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I think that 2nd team could win 10-11 games in the A10. We’ve never been this deep. 

Too much talent and not enough minutes to go around.

Thats what I like to call “Blue Blood problems.”

almaman and brianstl like this

21 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I think you are selling the second team short. 

slu72 likes this

21 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Our most used lineup will likely be Yuri, Jimerson, Goodwin, Perkins, and French. According to KenPom, our most used lineup (26.3%) over our last 5 games was Yuri, Hargrove, Goodwin, Perkins, and French. Either of those lineups presents a variety of match-up nightmares for our opponents. 

Zink likes this

Taj, here is an analysis, albeit a very abbreviated one, for Linssen, since he is the only one to have a solid year of D1 play, even though it is low D1. Linssen replaced two departed senior forwards, and in his one year at UNCW, he led the team in shots attempted.

The only appropriate comp for aSLU  player is French, as I want to compare their offensive capabilities. Linssen will be a work in progress on D, but asBell proved last season, the coaching staff is well up to the task of improving incoming players D within a team concept.

The following stats are min, pts, fgs/m, fts/m, 

Linssen                                       French 

656, 387, 136/228, 65/94

958, 371, 160/307, 51/155

Linssen averaged .51 ppm, French .39 ppm

Linssen averaged 1.48 pts per shot, cumulative. French averaged 1.2 pts per shot, cumulative.

In a harbinger stat for how close to the rim they took shots, Linssen averaged .4ft/shot, French averaged .5 ft/shot.

Overall, Linssen is a much more efficient offensive player than French. Whether he can carry his UNCW profile into the A10 will play out, but if he does, his 8ft to 15 ft game, 60% FG, and 69%FT is exactly what we need for the in between big man, that leaves space for Bell and French, and allows for Perkins to drive, and Goodwin to backfill and rebound on the weak side.

Most importantly, the plays last year where Collins drove right past a double high screen, and fed French, only to see a center, forward, and guard triple team him in the key, will be negated by having Linssen camped open at the shoulder.

Regarding offensive efficiency, finishers, 3 pt shooters, and volume shooters, here is the abbreviated roster stats ranked by points per shot for last year.

Linssen...1.48

Bell...1.38

Hargrove...1.37

Perkins...1.34

jimerson...1.30

Jacobs...1.25

French...1.2

Goodwin...1.18

Collins...1.18

Weaver...1.08

VeniceMenace likes this

2 hours ago, Sheltiedave said:

Taj, here is an analysis, albeit a very abbreviated one, for Linssen, since he is the only one to have a solid year of D1 play, even though it is low D1. Linssen replaced two departed senior forwards, and in his one year at UNCW, he led the team in shots attempted.

The only appropriate comp for aSLU  player is French, as I want to compare their offensive capabilities. Linssen will be a work in progress on D, but asBell proved last season, the coaching staff is well up to the task of improving incoming players D within a team concept.

The following stats are min, pts, fgs/m, fts/m, 

Linssen                                       French 

656, 387, 136/228, 65/94

958, 371, 160/307, 51/155

Linssen averaged .51 ppm, French .39 ppm

Linssen averaged 1.48 pts per shot, cumulative. French averaged 1.2 pts per shot, cumulative.

In a harbinger stat for how close to the rim they took shots, Linssen averaged .4ft/shot, French averaged .5 ft/shot.

Overall, Linssen is a much more efficient offensive player than French. Whether he can carry his UNCW profile into the A10 will play out, but if he does, his 8ft to 15 ft game, 60% FG, and 69%FT is exactly what we need for the in between big man, that leaves space for Bell and French, and allows for Perkins to drive, and Goodwin to backfill and rebound on the weak side.

Most importantly, the plays last year where Collins drove right past a double high screen, and fed French, only to see a center, forward, and guard triple team him in the key, will be negated by having Linssen camped open at the shoulder.

Regarding offensive efficiency, finishers, 3 pt shooters, and volume shooters, here is the abbreviated roster stats ranked by points per shot for last year.

Linssen...1.48

Bell...1.38

Hargrove...1.37

Perkins...1.34

jimerson...1.30

Jacobs...1.25

French...1.2

Goodwin...1.18

Collins...1.18

Weaver...1.08

Shelti

As always, appreciate the research and insight.  Also found the stats Compton mentioned were quite interesting.  And recall, a big's production is dependent upon the other 4 guys around him.  And with a PG like Yuri, look out.

Understand that the level of competition Linssen faced was likely lesser quality, at the same time, he took the shots -- and he made the shots.   Making a FT for Valpo or UNC Wilmington should be the same as at SLU.   And looks like he scored more points than French, in far less minutes and with far fewer shots.  And most guys become better players their 3rd and 4th year as opposed to their first 2.  And I don't think Linssen came to SLU in order to be the backup to Bell and just hope he can beat out Diarra.   A mid range shot from one of our bigs would be huge for stretching defense for French, of course, along with perimeter shooting from Jimerson, Perkins, Hargrove, Jacobs and Markhi.

I think Linssen will be a big help on D right off the bat, in that French, Bell, and Perkins can play with a little more abandon and aggression, even if they start getting into foul trouble.

Last year they played very passively as the fouls mounted. This year, they have a third physical presence, so they can keep the abrasive edge in every play.

Linssen has been tought to move his feet and keep his hands in, so he is two years of learning time ahead of Bell. If, and it’s a big if, we can get them on the court this summer, we are going to make some noise at the dance.

40 minutes ago, Sheltiedave said:

I think Linssen will be a big help on D right off the bat, in that French, Bell, and Perkins can play with a little more abandon and aggression, even if they start getting into foul trouble.

Last year they played very passively as the fouls mounted. This year, they have a third physical presence, so they can keep the abrasive edge in every play.

Linssen has been tought to move his feet and keep his hands in, so he is two years of learning time ahead of Bell. If, and it’s a big if, we can get them on the court this summer, we are going to make some noise at the dance.

All schools are in the same boat regarding off-season work.

On 4/19/2020 at 5:27 PM, NH said:

20+ minutes is a lot.If he's getting as many minutes for us as he was for a dreadful UNCW team it would mean he drastically improved or something happened with French/JBJ. 

Good players make other players good.  Bad players make even good players mediocre.  I am hoping that Marten is a good player who was hurt by a poor squad around him.  If nothing else, thinking Jimmy Bell has a guy that will really push him for minutes and thus push Bell to significantly raise his game.

1 hour ago, WVBilliken said:

Good players make other players good.  Bad players make even good players mediocre.  I am hoping that Marten is a good player who was hurt by a poor squad around him.  If nothing else, thinking Jimmy Bell has a guy that will really push him for minutes and thus push Bell to significantly raise his game.

And I'm hoping he's a good player who plays less than he did at his previous school because we have other better players ahead of him. That's my hope.

4 minutes ago, NH said:

And I'm hoping he's a good player who plays less than he did at his previous school because we have other better players ahead of him. That's my hope.

Yes. I like French and I like Bell but I don’t really like them together in that neither had a midrange shot.  French w 4 guards (including Perkins) was a good lineup. Same with Bell and the same 4 guards. And while I believe French and Bell will both improve over the summer, i do think  French and Marten may really click this season. Looking forward to it. 

15 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Yes. I like French and I like Bell but I don’t really like them together in that neither had a midrange shot.  French w 4 guards (including Perkins) was a good lineup. Same with Bell and the same 4 guards. And while I believe French and Bell will both improve over the summer, i do think  French and Marten may really click this season. Looking forward to it. 

I can't remember the exact stat, but I think when Bell / French played together we held opponents to something like 0.8 points per possession. With all of our other lineups we were closer to 1.0 points per possession. I don't mean that as a point of argument with what you're saying, just thought it was interesting how defensively dominant we were with Bell and French both on the floor. 

Zink likes this

26 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Bell looks to have the shooting ability to step 10 feet out and hit the mid-range shot.  But my wish for next year is that the big guy takes those close in shots to the hoop with French-like authority.  With his size he had far to many close shots blocked.  Hopefully he powers those in next season.

1 hour ago, WVBilliken said:

Bell looks to have the shooting ability to step 10 feet out and hit the mid-range shot.  But my wish for next year is that the big guy takes those close in shots to the hoop with French-like authority.  With his size he had far to many close shots blocked.  Hopefully he powers those in next season.

Totally agree.   Believe we will watch Bell develop and add to his game each year.   Bell has the skill, the hands, the mechanics (just look at both his form and his results at the FT line) to have a nice mid range game.   3 point shooter?   No.  No need.   

1 hour ago, NH said:

I can't remember the exact stat, but I think when Bell / French played together we held opponents to something like 0.8 points per possession. With all of our other lineups we were closer to 1.0 points per possession. I don't mean that as a point of argument with what you're saying, just thought it was interesting how defensively dominant we were with Bell and French both on the floor. 

Good to know.   Surprised but not surprised.   If both developed just a little more.... 

2 hours ago, NH said:

That is nice to know, even better with Linssen in the team we may be able to have this kind of positive effect for a much longer period of time per game. The more flexibility, the better we are.