St Louis' team-Saint Louis University

bauman

Sorry if starting a new thread is a problem for anybody but when looking at which of a number of threads that contain good Billiken recruiting info was the place for this post, it didn't appear that any of those threads were the MOST appropriate.

Today is a big day for the future of Billiken basketball.  The closest I can remember is the evening that Monroe and Roland committed together on local TV in Grawer's 2nd or 3rd year.  Over the past couple of years (since TF has been recruiting for the home team) I have suggested that we should be able to become a highly successful, yet small school program, like Gonzaga, Xavier, Creighton, Butler or even Nova.  We have facilities and local talent comparable to those schools and now have a HC who seems to have the skill required to recruit big-time players.  Maybe not the Top 10-20 ranked players who are going to Duke, KU or Kentucky, but that's ok since many of those players will be one-and-done's.  One of the things needed for TF to recruit at the X or Nova level is the ability to attract top level (# 20 to #75 or #100) recruits, especially the top players coming out of the STL area.  For that to happen SLU needs to be THE school (basketball program) for most of the local recruits.  Once that snowball starts rolling downhill it will be hard to stop.  Remember we are the only school that can claim to be St. Louis' home team.  That's quite an advantage when you consider that Nova is surrounded closely by a number top programs and even Xavier has to deal with Cincinnati and Dayton in addition to multiple D 1 state (OH, IN and KY) schools within 100-150 miles.  We only have 2 of those, MU and Illinois, to compete with.

Hopefully, with all the recruiting news, today is the start of SLU moving into that group of MBB programs.  My main concern is that two of the best local HS seniors this coming year will likely be signing LOI's before this upcoming season starts.  This 2021 incoming class is critical to keeping our momentum.  They need to be convinced about that momentum.  This is the class that needs to fill the scholarship slots of a 3 person senior group that might be the best 3-person graduating class in SLU history.  If we are going to continue to build this into a top 25 program that goes to the Dance every year, this November 2020 group of LOI's is maybe the most important ever.

Go get 'em TF and staff.

We’re much closer to a Gonzaga or butler etc than most realize. Everything is starting to click. After a T25 finish this year things will really take off with recruiting. Need some signature wins this year to get on some headlines. 

36 minutes ago, wgstl said:

We’re much closer to a Gonzaga or butler etc than most realize. Everything is starting to click. After a T25 finish this year things will really take off with recruiting. Need some signature wins this year to get on some headlines. 

Agreed.

I've said it before, I'll say it again, if JGood and Has do return, the Orlando tourney is the one to watch. We should get our shots at 4 P5 schools. Win the first, we get another shot, wn that too we'll get a 3rd shot, win that we'll be in the top 15. That's Zaga, X, Auburn, and MSU. Take down 3 of those, SLU is on the map. 

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

I've said it before, I'll say it again, if JGood and Has do return, the Orlando tourney is the one to watch. We should get our shots at 4 P5 schools. Win the first, we get another shot, wn that too we'll get a 3rd shot, win that we'll be in the top 15. That's Zaga, X, Auburn, and MSU. Take down 3 of those, SLU is on the map. 

Good things happen when you mix SLU basketball, Thanksgiving and Disney!