Welcome, Marten Linssen!

moytoy12

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dang.  Think I nailed it for once.  My post in the 2020 Recruiting thread from about a week ago is below.  Hits pretty much every point.  Nice get. Dang, SLU is gonna be really good next year!!!!!!

"I would like to see a transfer inside big with 2 years eligibility for that last scholarship, but only if the NCAA decides to grant non-Grad transfers immediate eligibility when the decision is made in May or early June.  I think Ford is waiting on this decision to fill that last scholarship".

"Advantages: 1) Immediate eligibility to help fill a need for a NCAA Tourney potential team, 2) Quality of the player could be potentially very high, starter level,  3) Keeps it going.  Great team next year and with a replacement for French in place for the following season on another loaded team.  Yes, SLU loses its big three but has a very nice roster in place even with those guys graduating, 4) Reduces the stress of having to bring in another big class in 2021.  There are three already and a Grad Transfer makes it four, 5) Adds a second Junior in the mix somewhat evening out the classes".

I too think this is a great signing. Face it, a higher-quality transfer is likely not coming here because he's going to have to come off the bench. And Linßen helps out the 21-22 team by providing some senior leadership after (presumably) the three leading scorers go. 

Hankton would have played a lot more if he could have provided quality minutes. Has and J-Good should never be playing over 34 mpg now. And Linßen can demand respect on the block, rebound on both ends, and defend bigs in the post. Also, great insurance against an injury to Has or Bell. And two full years! That part really pushes it over the edge. 

I really like this addition.  Linssen will get minutes right away and will allow Ford to keep a big lineup on the floor if he wants to. Linssen can sub for either Bell or French and also provides insurance against injury and foul trouble.  He appears to be a physical inside player who can hit a jumper. He also hits free throws which improves our ability to close out games. We also had games where French had to dial down his game, for fear of picking up another foul, so it will imrpove the quality of the minutes we get from French. 

He of course makes life after French look easier.

43 minutes ago, Aquinas said:

I really like this addition.  Linssen will get minutes right away and will allow Ford to keep a big lineup on the floor if he wants to. Linssen can sub for either Bell or French and also provides insurance against injury and foul trouble.  He appears to be a physical inside player who can hit a jumper. He also hits free throws which improves our ability to close out games. We also had games where French had to dial down his game, for fear of picking up another foul, so it will imrpove the quality of the minutes we get from French. 

Well said.   Both Bell and Linssen can make their FT's so we now have options - especially at the end of tight games.

Marten was easily the best player on the subpar team.

If you look at the stats he is in 3rd with 10.5 ppg. #2 is 10.6 ppg and #1 is 11.8 ppg

It seems his foul trouble limited his minutes but if you give him good backup and a good guard to pass to him, he will breakout next year. How many times do you see Forwards be stat leaders on subpar teams?

Also writing is on the wall for another player, either way we will be very big next year. I wouldn't be surprised if Goodwin goes D league though

1 hour ago, Aquinas said:

Your post made me think about the following.  I know I, and I think many posters, often talk about which 5 Bills are on the floor based on which players the opponent is playing, e.g. we can go small if they go small or big if needed, again based on the opponent.  But can you imagine the unsolvable   problem we would present to another team, especially in the A-10, if we went with a front line of Bell/French and Linssen for 10-15 minutes a game.  Even sub in a Lorentsson for Linssen (a 6'8" for  6'8") .  This could be a fun year with all the toys Travis has at his disposal.

2 hours ago, WVBilliken said:

Dang.  Think I nailed it for once.  My post in the 2020 Recruiting thread from about a week ago is below.  Hits pretty much every point.  Nice get. Dang, SLU is gonna be really good next year!!!!!!

"I would like to see a transfer inside big with 2 years eligibility for that last scholarship, but only if the NCAA decides to grant non-Grad transfers immediate eligibility when the decision is made in May or early June.  I think Ford is waiting on this decision to fill that last scholarship".

"Advantages: 1) Immediate eligibility to help fill a need for a NCAA Tourney potential team, 2) Quality of the player could be potentially very high, starter level,  3) Keeps it going.  Great team next year and with a replacement for French in place for the following season on another loaded team.  Yes, SLU loses its big three but has a very nice roster in place even with those guys graduating, 4) Reduces the stress of having to bring in another big class in 2021.  There are three already and a Grad Transfer makes it four, 5) Adds a second Junior in the mix somewhat evening out the classes".

Nostradamus has nothing on you. Good call.

slu72 likes this

4 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

Let’s go! Can’t wait for the season!

-the Hoff

image.jpeg.67c80ab9855abc7b758397d349ba05a6.jpeg

Oh Chosen what have you done.

The wife and I are laughing out loud great post.

TheChosenOne likes this

I don't think Has or JGood is going to pass up their final year to play in the G league. They both know how good this team could be. We've now got the talent and depth to do something special next year. Also, it increases their exposure. 

Getting excited but must temper it. As Kshoe said, we've looked great in April before only to see it come crashing down around us come October. 

I know it’s important that we get our nicknames right on the board, so here’s the scoop:

Odin - top Norse god

Wotan - top Teutonic god - same guy - pronounced Votan

Woden - top Saxon god - useful info if we sign someone from England 😎

Wotan’s daughter was Brunhilde - who married Siegfried.  Fun fact - they never consummated their marriage. 🤔

i can’t wait for the Lady Bills to sign a Valkure from Germany - we’ll be ready.

3 hours ago, Major Majerus said:

I know it’s important that we get our nicknames right on the board, so here’s the scoop:

Odin - top Norse god

Wotan’s daughter was Brunhilde - who married Siegfried.  Fun fact - they never consummated their marriage. 🤔

i can’t wait for the Lady Bills to sign a Valkure from Germany - we’ll be ready.

How is that "fun"? Geez...

4 hours ago, Major Majerus said:

Odin - top Norse god

Is that why Brunhilde became a witch?