recruiting opportunity if the lady billikens need players..........

2 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

You're not going to have 100% conformity on any subject.  Especially in a country with 330 million people and a a Southern part of the country that's more culturally conservative than the Northern part.

In 2014, UT actually dropped "Lady" from all womens sports team programs except basketball because "Lady Vols" is closely associated with the winning tradition of Pat Summit. It's part of their brand. The new AD brought it back in 2017 for all sports. Just like on this board, the division amongst UT fans over the term is largely generational. 

Isn’t that Louisiana Tech too? Where Tyler Summit was a head coach and got his player pregnant? 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Can someone please tell the fine folks in Knoxville TN and Ruston LA that they are politically, socially, and morally incorrect.

image.jpeg.9d51353d5f07683d57a99df572885a3a.jpegimage.jpeg.14e6d9cfa9732e9af9048c10c43e9dea.jpeg

image.jpeg

I don't think most posters were saying that calling someone a Lady is "politically incorrect", or that there is anything wrong with those team names you referenced. They were simply saying that our team prefers not to be called the Lady Billikens and as we are all fans of their team, calling them what they like to be called is the preferred thing to do. My name is Nathaniel/Nate. I prefer not to be called Nathan. If you called me Nathan, it wouldn't be politically incorrect, but it also wouldn't be my preference.  

Me thinks this board cares or is more offended than the ladies/females/women themselves would be/are

I spoke with Coach Stone numerous times, we talked about me going to the ladies games once in awhile. I referred to them as ladies. She seemed ok with it and we continued on with a nice pleasant conversation. 

With that said if I knew they preferred women's basketball, I would try to get in the habit of saying women's basketball. For some it's not intentional but it's hard to change the way you've said something for 50 years. 

billiken_roy likes this

10 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Me thinks this board cares or is more offended than the ladies/females/women themselves would be/are

I spoke with Coach Stone numerous times, we talked about me going to the ladies games once in awhile. I referred to them as ladies. She seemed ok with it and we continued on with a nice pleasant conversation. 

With that said if I knew they preferred women's basketball, I would try to get in the habit of saying women's basketball. For some it's not intentional but it's hard to change the way you've said something for 50 years. 

We are nit-picking here, no doubt, but there is a difference between referring to the men’s team or women’s team and adding lady to the school’s mascot when referring to one of those teams. It’s the Billikens, men and women. As I mentioned earlier, no one would call the men’s team the gentlemen Billikens. 

9 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

We are nit-picking here, no doubt, but there is a difference between referring to the men’s team or women’s team and adding lady to the school’s mascot when referring to one of those teams. It’s the Billikens, men and women. As I mentioned earlier, no one would call the men’s team the gentlemen Billikens. 

Yes it's the distinguishing between men and women that is allegedly "offensive".

5 hours ago, BilliesBy40 said:

And Men's basketball didn't spend decades being called Gentlemen's basketball. The analogy is silly