recruiting opportunity if the lady billikens need players..........

21 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

The “conservative” viewpoint is that we should be calling women whatever we want...even if they don’t want to be called that? haha

Typical liberal...trying to alter the facts.  Women were not called whatever...they were called ladies.  Why do liberals feel they have the authority to demand thought conformity? Guess what.. I have other unpopular views that really tick off the "progressives ". For example I believe there are only 2 genders.  I can see the outrage building.  He can't say that...lol.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, HenryB said:

Typical liberal...trying to alter the facts.  Women were not called whatever...they were called ladies.  Why do liberals feel they have the authority to demand thought conformity? Guess what.. I have other unpopular views that really tick of the "progressives " .  For example I believe there are only 2 genders.  I can see the outrage building.  He can't say that...lol.

lmao i see you’re looking for just random arguments now. Too early on a saturday for me but have a good day though. I just figure if the Women’s team doesn’t want to be called Lady Billikens, just don’t call them Lady billikens. 

BilliesBy40 and Littlebill like this

7 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

lmao i see you’re looking for just random arguments now. Too early on a saturday for me but have a good day though. I just figure if they Women’s team doesn’t want to be called Lady Billikens, just don’t call them Lady billikens. 

Gee...I know lots of women athletes who like being called a lady. Don't know a single one that doesn't.  The arrogance of those who demand others think like them. I also find it laughable that I get accused of wanting to pick an argument by a guy who has a tizzy about a woman being referred to as a lady.  Who's trying to stir up crap?  Look in the mirror.

AGB91 and billiken_roy like this

Ok. When I was in college, the progressives required us to call women collegiate athletes with the term Lady.  Lady Bills, Lady Tigers, Lady ....  The presumption of Billikens, Tigers... referring to the men by default was considered offensive and sexist. Confusion existed in the 1980s and 90s. Guys like Roy and me complied.  Now the use of the term Lady is sexist and offensive?  No confusion anymore in 2020?  So the “default” term of Billikens means men?   And such defaults of presuming male is not sexist but is progressive?  Good grief.  Save me from the good people!!

billiken_roy likes this

Female ballers in the 21st century want to be accepted as competitors like their male counterparts.  Hence the preference to be referred to as women, rather than ladies, which has a softer connotation. But I've never gotten a negative reaction when I've called them ladies off the court.  It's all about context.  I can understand the frustration of older guys who long for a simpler lexicon that rarely changed but those days ain't coming back.  

The stupidity of this thread is a direct result of not killing the corona virus thread at birth.  It’s pretty much the same thing that happened with the off-season board back in the olden days.  Well done moderators and all who lack the self control to keep this board apolitical........

AGB91 and Quality Is Job 1 like this

45 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Female ballers in the 21st century want to be accepted as competitors like their male counterparts.  Hence the preference to be referred to as women, rather than ladies, which has a softer connotation. But I've never gotten a negative reaction when I've called them ladies off the court.  It's all about context.  I can understand the frustration of older guys who long for a simpler lexicon that rarely changed but those days ain't coming back.  

Yes.   And because you can speak for all women, I can speak for all frustrated older guys who relied upon and changed their ways based upon the whims of sexist, mysogenist feminists whose actions actually demeaned and oppressed female ballers.   What were the progressives of the 1980s and 1990s thinking?   And did I miss the vote?  miss the women's movement to rid the country of the term "Lady" with respect to college sports?  

And speaking of female ballers, they do need our help and protection because their ranks are and have been dwindling fast due to an even larger enemy:  volleyball

I ask that steve close my accountfor all the reasons Clock_Tower mentioned and more. I get tempted to weigh in on this nonsens when all i really want is to discuss basketball. So i will waste my time on something else. If i knew how to do it i would start a board that is hoops only and politics and political correctness were totally banned. There are posters i will miss reading when they post bb comments, the rest i will not miss at all. Likely no one will care if i read or not, but i am saying this anyway. i will look into starting a facebook group for basketball only

14 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

I ask that steve close my accountfor all the reasons Clock_Tower mentioned and more. I get tempted to weigh in on this nonsens when all i really want is to discuss basketball. So i will waste my time on something else. If i knew how to do it i would start a board that is hoops only and politics and political correctness were totally banned. There are posters i will miss reading when they post bb comments, the rest i will not miss at all. Likely no one will care if i read or not, but i am saying this anyway. i will look into starting a facebook group for basketball only

+100  Steve, close my account also.

27 minutes ago, HenryB said:

+100  Steve, close my account also.

Dont quit the board. Just ignore them. We need more views on this board not less. Politics and the wokeness need to be kept off. I would think people getting offended  by every little thing would have more important things to worry about.

I coached girls basketball not that long ago and always called them ladies. No one was offended.

And it was funny

38 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

Don’t forget to invite the Russian bots to your Facebook group!

Do the folks who are saying things like well “they used to be called the lady Billikens when I was in school and no one cared” or “lady used to be a complement” understand that social / societal norms change over time and this is a fairly insignificant adjustment for you to make to keep up with the times?

Here is an interesting article on the topic.  Headline makes it seem skewed but it goes over both sides.  https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.tennessean.com/amp/29492339

Given the article, it seems there is more history behind using “lady” in the south and some schools (at least as of 2015) still officially used it in the names.  Given that SLU certainly does not use it officially , I think it is most appropriate to not use it.

It is a real shame one of our most prominent female members of the board was run off or we could get a better perspective on the whole thing.

2 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

this is why i am going to quit, clowns like you that want to troll, clearly identify yourself so that i dont mistakenly invite a jackass such as yourself

Ahh, meant to be a joke. In all seriousness, I hope you don’t stop posting. I enjoy your basketball posts.

6 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Do the folks who are saying things like well “they used to be called the lady Billikens when I was in school and no one cared” or “lady used to be a complement” understand that social / societal norms change over time and this is a fairly insignificant adjustment for you to make to keep up with the times?

Here is an interesting article on the topic.  Headline makes it seem skewed but it goes over both sides.  https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.tennessean.com/amp/29492339

Given the article, it seems there is more history behind using “lady” in the south and some schools (at least as of 2015) still officially used it in the names.  Given that SLU certainly does not use it officially , I think it is most appropriate to not use it.

It is a real shame one of our most prominent female members of the board was run off or we could get a better perspective on the whole thing.

+1. It is really strange when you consider no one would ever refer to the men’s team as the gentlemen Billikens.

1 minute ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Ahh, meant to be a joke. In all seriousness, I hope you don’t stop posting. I enjoy your basketball posts.

it is not worth the nonsense, when i guy can getted ripped for using the word lady, but the f word can be used without impunity, i am out. i can get bills basketball without the insults and the f bombs

4 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

I go back and forth on the issue but I believe the issue is not the word lady. It’s the separation of them based on being female. They are all Billikens, their is no differentiation. I was literally just making a Big Lebowski joke. 

strike if you will

36 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Can someone please tell the fine folks in Knoxville TN and Ruston LA that they are politically, socially, and morally incorrect.

image.jpeg.9d51353d5f07683d57a99df572885a3a.jpegimage.jpeg.14e6d9cfa9732e9af9048c10c43e9dea.jpeg

image.jpeg

You're not going to have 100% conformity on any subject.  Especially in a country with 330 million people and a a Southern part of the country that's more culturally conservative than the Northern part.

In 2014, UT actually dropped "Lady" from all womens sports team programs except basketball because "Lady Vols" is closely associated with the winning tradition of Pat Summit. It's part of their brand. The new AD brought it back in 2017 for all sports. Just like on this board, the division amongst UT fans over the term is largely generational. 

HoosierPal likes this