recruiting opportunity if the lady billikens need players..........

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Lady Billikens is not the preferred nomenclature dude. 

This has been brought to Roy's attention numerous times over the years and he refuses to correct himself. 🤷‍♂️

BilliesBy40 likes this

25 minutes ago, Pistol said:

This has been brought to Roy's attention numerous times over the years and he refuses to correct himself. 🤷‍♂️

To be honest, I find it to be the best as it pertains to rolling off the tongue and actually verbalizing it but it really doesn’t do much for the advancement of women’s athletics. 

3 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

To be honest, I find it to be the best as it pertains to rolling off the tongue and actually verbalizing it but it really doesn’t do much for the advancement of women’s athletics. 

Regardless, they're just called the Billikens. It isn't complicated.

Just now, billikenfan05 said:

It was boring tbh

probably because you dont know who charles barkley, shaq and marv albert are.   

40 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

they'll always be the lady billikens to me.    

I hesitate to ask this question because I understand that it is not going to go anywhere.  I'm going to go for it though.  I'm also going to make an assumption that when you say they'll always be the lady Billikens, you also mean that you will always refer to them as the lady Billikens.

Why will you always refer to them as the lady Billikens?  Is it that difficult to switch?

Given your level of involvement / interest in SLU athletics, I have to assume that you are aware that "lady" Billikens is not the preferred title.  Therefore, it seems like you're either saying that "lady" is somehow too ingrained within your mind to adapt yourself or you just don't care what they prefer to be called presumably because you don't see anything wrong with it.  If that is the case, I have to ask, why not just call them what they want to be called even if you don't see why that is the case?  You aren't deriving any benefit from calling them the lady Billikens as opposed to the women Billkens (I like to go with WBBillikens on here because I think it is easier to type, but I understand your distaste for initials).

Speaking of the initials thing, I believe part of your argument on not using them involves showing respect for the players by using their names (could be off on that, I don't want to put words in your mouth more than I already am).  Shouldn't we show similar respect for the women's team by not referring to them as something they don't want to be called?  Further, a lot of people on here (not sure about you in particular) get worked up when media uses St Louis University instead of Saint Louis University.  Isn't that pretty much the same thing?  The University wants Saint Louis, but media has St Louis too ingrained or doesn't see the difference.

Another flawed example: let's say my full legal name is Michael, but you knew me as a kid and always referred to me an Mikey.  Now that I'm an adult I go by Michael and dislike being called Mikey.  If I asked you to call me Michael instead of Mikey, why would you continue to call me Mikey?

/end rant.

dlarry and Pistol like this

26 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I hesitate to ask this question because I understand that it is not going to go anywhere.  I'm going to go for it though.  I'm also going to make an assumption that when you say they'll always be the lady Billikens, you also mean that you will always refer to them as the lady Billikens.

Why will you always refer to them as the lady Billikens?  Is it that difficult to switch?

Given your level of involvement / interest in SLU athletics, I have to assume that you are aware that "lady" Billikens is not the preferred title.  Therefore, it seems like you're either saying that "lady" is somehow too ingrained within your mind to adapt yourself or you just don't care what they prefer to be called presumably because you don't see anything wrong with it.  If that is the case, I have to ask, why not just call them what they want to be called even if you don't see why that is the case?  You aren't deriving any benefit from calling them the lady Billikens as opposed to the women Billkens (I like to go with WBBillikens on here because I think it is easier to type, but I understand your distaste for initials).

Speaking of the initials thing, I believe part of your argument on not using them involves showing respect for the players by using their names (could be off on that, I don't want to put words in your mouth more than I already am).  Shouldn't we show similar respect for the women's team by not referring to them as something they don't want to be called?  Further, a lot of people on here (not sure about you in particular) get worked up when media uses St Louis University instead of Saint Louis University.  Isn't that pretty much the same thing?  The University wants Saint Louis, but media has St Louis too ingrained or doesn't see the difference.

Another flawed example: let's say my full legal name is Michael, but you knew me as a kid and always referred to me an Mikey.  Now that I'm an adult I go by Michael and dislike being called Mikey.  If I asked you to call me Michael instead of Mikey, why would you continue to call me Mikey?

/end rant.

Holy sht that was great. Same kind of clear thinking well said argument seems to have persuaded the voice of the Indian deli guy on Simpsons to stop doing it, so it's not impossible that you may cause change.

48 minutes ago, almaman said:

Holy sht that was great. Same kind of clear thinking well said argument seems to have persuaded the voice of the Indian deli guy on Simpsons to stop doing it, so it's not impossible that you may cause change.

Hank Azaria. Side note: if you haven’t seen him in Brockmire yet...you’re really missing out.

4 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

/end rant.

Roy (and some others on this board) are just looking to pick petty culture war fights with stuff like this. Your reasoning here is sound and you're absolutely correct. There's no winning against bad faith arguments, though. You can have the (very simple, straightforward) facts, and you can have all the reason and logic and intelligence possible behind your argument and it won't matter.

6 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Roy (and some others on this board) are just looking to pick petty culture war fights with stuff like this. Your reasoning here is sound and you're absolutely correct. There's no winning against bad faith arguments, though. You can have the (very simple, straightforward) facts, and you can have all the reason and logic and intelligence possible behind your argument and it won't matter.

What a troll post....get over yourself.

Clock_Tower and dennis_w like this