Best 9 Billiken Players you have seen

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

wondering for those of you with "worst" lists, how hankton isnt included. 

Hankton  would start on those terrible Agbeko/Crawford teams. Gillmann and Jolly had no business playing MCC basketball, much less D1

Crews set a true bottom floor as far as worst Billikens 

edit: I can really only speak to the last 25 years or so. Don’t know really anything pre-grawer. I’m sure you older fellas can speak more on that

BilliesBy40, wgstl and TJHawk like this

I can't believe JGood is not on everyone's list especially those with 30 years or less watching. We rarely have a player that is the best in the country at anything and JGood is the best rebounding guard in the country and by far the best Billiken rebounding guard, plus he scores at 15 ppg and adds 3 assists and 2 steals. 

BilliesBy40 likes this

1 hour ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

The better question is which Jolly moment was his masterpiece? The time he shot the ball over the backboard, the time he missed a three pointer 3 feet to the left, or the time Crews went out on the court to shove him 10 feet down the bench?

For me it's definitely the over-the-backboard shot. Remember it like it was yesterday...

4 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

I can't believe JGood is not on everyone's list especially those with 30 years or less watching. We rarely have a player that is the best in the country at anything and JGood is the best rebounding guard in the country and by far the best Billiken rebounding guard, plus he scores at 15 ppg and adds 3 assists and 2 steals. 

Totally agree. Jordan's worst skill is definitely scoring, and he still put up 15 ppg on 47% shooting (50.6% True Shooting). He's a good passer, elite rebounder and increasingly looks like an elite defender. He could play on any team in the country.

slufanskip and willie like this

6 minutes ago, NH said:

Totally agree. Jordan's worst skill is definitely scoring, and he still put up 15 ppg on 47% shooting (50.6% True Shooting). He's a good passer, elite rebounder and increasingly looks like an elite defender. He could START on any team in the country.

FIFY

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

so wish i went back to the days of jimmy irving and had a chance to see him, rogers, and wiley play.   i suspect they would have made my list.   

Excluding Hughes and his 1 year Rogers would be number 2 on my list behind Bonner.

1 hour ago, slufanskip said:

French really is another. When’s the last time a Billiken was on a national award list that late in the season like French was for the Malone?

His Belmont game is one of the best performance any billiken has had. 24 rebounds!

List of 60's and 70's players:  Donnell Reid, Joe Wiley, Harry Rogers, Kelvin Henderson, Eugene Moore, Rich Parks, Jimmy Irving, Lewis McKinney, Bobby Cole.  Honorable mention: Barry Orms, Luther Burden.  I am surprised no one mentioned  Ion Vougioukas  among more recent players (maybe no one could spell his name)

If you saw Bonner play and didn't see Macauley then he should be at the top of your list.  No one was better.

Hard to quantify Goodwin right now for me.  It will be easier after next season to judge him.  If we made the tourney this year he is probably on my list.  He needs a tourney appearance as the alpha dog or a signature moment.  Not there for me yet.

HoosierPal and billiken_roy like this

1. Hughes (easy choice)

2. Bonner (easily number 2)

3. Clags (he played in a league with future NBA all-stars and will forever be the league's all-time leading scorer)

4. H (he could shoot the 3 and passed the ball like no one we have seen until a certain young kid recently came along)

5. Melvin Robinson (the big chill would have been all-world if he could have kept his head on his shoulders)

6. Douglass/Gray (they were both great, and they are so inter-connected)

7. Goodwin/French (I will cheat again, but I have never seen a combo rebound, defend, and give the constant effort these two do)

8. Kwamain (he was so good)

9. Jett/McCall (I think everyone forgets how good McCall was, but he started ahead of Jett for 3 of their 4 years)

10. Justin Love (he could light it up)

Honorable Mention: Scott Highmark (finished 3rd all-time in scoring in the Great Midwest), Maurice Jeffers (2nd round pick), Bess (everyone knows what he did)

Honorable, Honorable Mention: Willie Reed and C Gordon (if only)

Hello all. Haven't posted in several years but have visited this site daily (boy that coronavirus thread was a doozy). My freshman year was Coach Majerus's first year so my experience only goes back to 07. I remember waiting for the bus in the cold to go to Scottrade my first year. Currently watching the SLU vs VCU A10 Championship game thanks to Billiken Vault on youtube.... Top 9 best players  I've seen in no particular order: Lisch / Mitchel / Evans / Jett / French / Goodwin / McCall / Perkins / Conklin... I based my decision on how much I would trust them with the ball at the end of a close game ( free throws not a factor)

brianstl likes this

Larry Hughes

Anthony Bonner

Justin Love

Erwin Claggett

Kwamain Mitchell

Jordair Jett

Jordan Goodwin

Hasahn French

Dwayne Evans.

These kinds of lists are difficult to formulate, because even if you want to be objective or logical, at least some favoritism or bias creeps in.  "Beauty" is in the eye of the beholder.

If I had room for more, I'd add Scott Highmark, Tommie Liddell, Kevin Lisch, Marque Perry, Javon Bess, and Ian Vouyoukas.  I might also lean towards adding Jamal Johnson.  Quitman Dillard and Donnie Dobbs deserve mentions, as well.  Brian Conklin and Maurice ("Mo") Jeffers were last-year wonders (and you might be able to say that about others I've mentioned, including Bess).

Lastly, I hope to see some current Billikens infiltrating these lists:  Perkins, Collins, Jimerson, and Hargrove.

Reinert310 likes this

11 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Larry Hughes

Anthony Bonner

Justin Love

Erwin Claggett

Kwamain Mitchell

Jordair Jett

Jordan Goodwin

Hasahn French

Dwayne Evans.

These kinds of lists are difficult to formulate, because even if you want to be objective or logical, at least some favoritism or bias creeps in.  "Beauty" is in the eye of the beholder.

If I had room for more, I'd add Scott Highmark, Tommie Liddell, Kevin Lisch, Marque Perry, Javon Bess, and Ian Vouyoukas.  I might also lean towards adding Jamal Johnson.  Quitman Dillard and Donnie Dobbs deserve mentions, as well.  Brian Conklin and Maurice ("Mo") Jeffers were last-year wonders (and you might be able to say that about others I've mentioned, including Bess).

Lastly, I hope to see some current Billikens infiltrating these lists:  Perkins, Collins, Jimerson, and Hargrove.

It's who you think are the best players you've seen, so yes beauty is in the eye of the beholder on this one. I think even style of play might play a part in opinions. Do you love a great shooter? Athleticism getting to the rim? Tough inside play? 

I was listening to the pressbox yesterday: I think Rich Grawer did all time teams of players he coached.  Frank said Abdur Raheem El Mateen was his second team center behind Steve Stipanovich.  Thoughts anyone? 

On 4/10/2020 at 1:09 PM, papal said:

List of 60's and 70's players:  Donnell Reid, Joe Wiley, Harry Rogers, Kelvin Henderson, Eugene Moore, Rich Parks, Jimmy Irving, Lewis McKinney, Bobby Cole.  Honorable mention: Barry Orms, Luther Burden.  I am surprised no one mentioned  Ion Vougioukas  among more recent players (maybe no one could spell his name)

Papal, you beat me to it.  I began attending Billiken games in the late 50's, so your list for that era is spot on.  One of my favorite SLU teams was the MVC Tri-Champ team of '70-'71 with Irving Rogers, Bill Paradoski, Carlos Martinez, Rich Stallworth, the late Mike Lockett and big Bob Wade.Although the late Robin Jones is hardly a blip in the SLU record books, he did back up Bill Walton with the Portland Trailblazers when they won the NBA championship.

I think it is tougher to pick 9 Billikens from the recent/current era.  Justin Love and Marque Perry would definitely have to be on mine, along with all of the guys everyone else has mentioned.