Billiken Vault

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, SLU_Nick said:

Watching these games makes me realize that I completely overlooked how underrated Jake Barnett was for us.  He made some big plays in important games for us.

the scapegoat, him and grandy at times.  too easy to blame them when it may not have actually been their faults. 

Band Legend likes this

15 minutes ago, wgstl said:

the scapegoat, him and grandy at times.  too easy to blame them when it may not have actually been their faults. 

Grandy was bad though, relative to that team of course. 

Jake could play a little bit. I think we had higher expectations for him after he filled it up at Toledo before he got here - so he became a scapegoat since he didn't meet expectations.

11 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Jake would've made it a lot easier if he had shot the ball at even an average clip. Seems like a great kid and hard worker. He turned into a solid defender as well. But we definitely could have used an upgrade at his spot, at least Senior year. He did fine in his more-limited role Junior year.

9 minutes ago, thetorch said:

If Barnett had been our 8th man we are probably an elite eight team. That was his best role. As our 5th best player his talent was a Stark contrast to our top 4.

He was our 8th or 9th man in 2012-2013, and I truly think that team was good enough to make the elite eight. Remekun was also terrific as a backup big. That Oregon game is truly a shame.

17 minutes ago, NH said:

He was our 8th or 9th man in 2012-2013, and I truly think that team was good enough to make the elite eight. Remekun was also terrific as a backup big. That Oregon game is truly a shame.

That's a brutal box score to look at after the fact. We turned them over 18 times and lost by 17. They shot 73% from deep. I think I had successfully wiped that game from my mind. Still haven't seen the TV broadcast from that one.

1 hour ago, Littlebill said:

That's a brutal box score to look at after the fact. We turned them over 18 times and lost by 17. They shot 73% from deep. I think I had successfully wiped that game from my mind. Still haven't seen the TV broadcast from that one.

And I have no intent to ever rewatch it.  That Oregon team might have been the most underseeded team of all time.  Or Louisville in 2014.  Take your pick. smh

8 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Can @billslasttermdropout and you get together to get it on dvd or digital? I can take it from there!

If he finds it, he can message me and I can get him an address to send it to (preferably a copy, but no worries either way I can send it back if need be) so I can digitize it.  This process will take some time.  Not the digitizing itself, just me getting to my mailbox, digging up a decent vcr, and finding the anticipated 5 hours or so.  If I could get it in my mailbox by the 8th of May I could probably have it done in under a week.  After that I don't know when my next window of opportunity will be but happy to help.

Edit:  Actually, might take a bit longer because I forgot I very well might not be able to just run out and buy a vcr from the local resell shop at that time due to COVID19.  I would get it done though, eventually.  Just may need to order one and then wait for my next chance to work on it.

Edited by billslasttermdropout

15 minutes ago, billslasttermdropout said:

If he finds it, he can message me and I can get him an address to send it to (preferably a copy, but no worries either way I can send it back if need be) so I can digitize it.  This process will take some time.  Not the digitizing itself, just me getting to my mailbox, digging up a decent vcr, and finding the anticipated 5 hours or so.  If I could get it in my mailbox by the 8th of May I could probably have it done in under a week.  After that I don't know when my next window of opportunity will be but happy to help.

Edit:  Actually, might take a bit longer because I forgot I very well might not be able to just run out and buy a vcr from the local resell shop at that time due to COVID19.  I would get it done though, eventually.  Just may need to order one and then wait for my next chance to work on it.

Ha all very true. I’m continuing to work on a scenario where I can record the dvd using Zoom video screen sharing. Ripping it has been futile 

54 minutes ago, billslasttermdropout said:

√ CL >for sale>electronics

3 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Ha all very true. I’m continuing to work on a scenario where I can record the dvd using Zoom video screen sharing. Ripping it has been futile 

Yeah I don't know about Zoom video sharing. I have a framemeister so I can record to digital from most any source. But I don't have a vcr any more but would love to get one again and this would be more than enough excuse for me.

3 hours ago, almaman said:

√ CL >for sale>electronics

Yeah I always forget about CL. I've had some success with it though and it might be a nice end around the Goodwill and the lockdown in this case. So long as I can find enough PPE and those danged clorex wipes for the meetup.....

15 minutes ago, billslasttermdropout said:

Yeah I always forget about CL. I've had some success with it though and it might be a nice end around the Goodwill and the lockdown in this case. So long as I can find enough PPE and those danged clorex wipes for the meetup.....

pawn shops too. The one on S Broadway and the one further south on Lemay both had some few months ago. 

18 minutes ago, almaman said:

pawn shops too. The one on S Broadway and the one further south on Lemay both had some few months ago. 

I'm not too worried about coming up with a machine.  It's the tapes that are the tricky part.  Id just love to see that Illini game in the dome again or any number of old games from the vcr era.  But alas, it's not likely to be.

22 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Bump. The NC state game is now in the Billiken Vault for your viewing pleasure

If this is what you're after, fast forward to the last few minutes. The rest of that game, woof.