A Coaches Ranking Of The Best A-10 Jobs

I remember looking at this a couple of years ago. At the time the Bills job was ranked as the sixth most desirable job in the league. I would certainly think they have moved up at least to the third spot. Any thoughts? Most looked at our recruiting base as a negative..I would disagree with all of the local talent...

https://watchstadium.com/atlantic-10-basketball-coaches-rank-the-best-jobs-in-the-conference-10-17-2018/

HenryB likes this

14 minutes ago, NH said:

SLU is (at worst) the third best job in the A-10. You could make a reasonable case that it is the best. 

Totally correct as far as this past season (2019-2020) is concerned. We could have been #1 in the A10 if Jimerson's injury and Thatch's medican sidelining had not occurred. The problem with this last season is that it was terminated early, before completion. We cannot project this to next season, at least not until it is clear that Goodwin and French will play for SLU.

49 minutes ago, davidnark said:

This is a hack article and ranking that is nearly 2 years old. Ignore it. 

???? i clearly said it was from a couple of years ago....i guess some are just looking for problems....unreal....i guess we can all go back to the hate Trump talk.....

16 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

???? i clearly said it was from a couple of years ago....i guess some are just looking for problems....unreal....i guess we can all go back to the hate Trump talk.....

I didn't mean it as a criticism of you in any way for posting it; I was commented on the author's criteria. How do you have rate SLU's in-game experience in the bottom half of the conference when most teams play in half empty, glorified high school gyms. Why isn't budgets and resources weighted way above all else? 

Just now, davidnark said:

I didn't mean it as a criticism of you in any way for posting it; I was commented on the author's criteria. How do you have rate SLU's in-game experience in the bottom half of the conference when most teams play in half empty, glorified high school gyms. Why isn't budgets and resources weighted way above all else? 

then discuss, don't trash it..it's an opinion........

Plenty of great schools, in great cities, with strong local talent in the A10. 

While Kingston, RI might be something of a challenger, St. Bonaventure and Olean easily wins as the least desirable place in the league. 

I just think of someone like Coach Ford, who as a family man would want good schools, good healthcare, good restaurants, fun things to do, cultural institutions, convenient travel, etc.... Olean would be brutal. Impressive Mark Scmidt has only led the Bonnies to two losing A10 seasons in the last 10. 

53 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

This was a great article to bring back up. Please stop being so sensitive that everyone is attacking you. I promise they aren’t. 

AGB91 likes this

53 minutes ago, davidnark said:

And the local talent level. SLU by far the best outside of DC maybe, and NY, but Fordham isn't getting any top NY guys anytime soon

21 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

And the local talent level. SLU by far the best outside of DC maybe, and NY, but Fordham isn't getting any top NY guys anytime soon

I'd think Philly would be at least as strong as St. Louis in terms of talent pool. 

12 minutes ago, Compton said:

I'd think Philly would be at least as strong as St. Louis in terms of talent pool. 

Philly probably has better talent but there are 5 D1 schools all trying to get the same talent, not to mention state schools, nearby cities, etc. In St. Louis the only other "local" options are SIUE, SIUC, Mizzou and Illinois. We've got far less competition per talented player.

2 minutes ago, kshoe said:

Philly probably has better talent but there are 5 D1 schools all trying to get the same talent, not to mention state schools, nearby cities, etc. In St. Louis the only other "local" options are SIUE, SIUC, Mizzou and Illinois. We've got far less competition per talented player.

Also I'm not so sure that Philly definitely has better talent. It might be deeper, but St. Louis has produced at least as many top college prospects in recent memory. Brad Beal Eagles alone has had 3 McDonald's All-Americans in the past 3 years. I don't know to say with certainty, but my guess is that there are very few metro areas with more high-end D1 basketball talent than St. Louis / Metro East.

17 minutes ago, NH said:

Also I'm not so sure that Philly definitely has better talent. It might be deeper, but St. Louis has produced at least as many top college prospects in recent memory. Brad Beal Eagles alone has had 3 McDonald's All-Americans in the past 3 years. I don't know to say with certainty, but my guess is that there are very few metro areas with more high-end D1 basketball talent than St. Louis / Metro East.

Who are the three? Caleb Love is one. Are you counting Darius Garland?

3 hours ago, kshoe said:

For sure. Same goes for DC. 

SLU is probably one of the most unique jobs in the country. It is in a basketball rich and large metro area with no other local programs. The two 'home' state schools involved are not traditional powers (Illinois thinks they are, solid program, but nah) and there isn't a secondary state school that is in a P5 conference. Being in the A10, SLU is somewhat above mid major status but not quite power status. You have a billionaire backer who has thrown his financial strength behind the program - and money is going to matter A LOT more in the next few years. There is no pro team in the market - and not really any major allegiance to a pro team.

SLU could be a stepping stone to a really high P5 job or it could be a finish your career job. 

Memphis is the closest thing I can think of to SLU's setup, but Memphis is a top 50ish market whereas St Louis is top 20ish. 

SLU is a damn good job. 

21 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

SLU is probably one of the most unique jobs in the country. It is in a basketball rich and large metro area with no other local programs. The two 'home' state schools involved are not traditional powers (Illinois thinks they are, solid program, but nah) and there isn't a secondary state school that is in a P5 conference. Being in the A10, SLU is somewhat above mid major status but not quite power status. You have a billionaire backer who has thrown his financial strength behind the program - and money is going to matter A LOT more in the next few years. There is no pro team in the market - and not really any major allegiance to a pro team.

SLU could be a stepping stone to a really high P5 job or it could be a finish your career job. 

Memphis is the closest thing I can think of to SLU's setup, but Memphis is a top 50ish market whereas St Louis is top 20ish. 

SLU is a damn good job. 

Plus no football team so only D-1 major sport is Team Blue.