Fordham Firing AD and Coach

Adam Zagoria

@AdamZagoria
· 46m
Fordham will announce major changes within its athletic department this afternoon, multiple sources said. Changes are expected at both the athletic director and men's basketball coach positions.

13 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

They are calling a department wide meeting with all athletes. This seems bigger than those two firings. 

What's the max number of call-ins for a single Zoom meeting?

NextYearBill likes this

23 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

They are calling a department wide meeting with all athletes. This seems bigger than those two firings. 

Could be, but could also be that they want to make it look like they announced the AD retiring/new AD to all the athletes and staff members, so they can put together a press release or statement to say that they met with the stakeholders and everyone was heard and valued.

Ed Kull, senior associate AD, is taking over. Not sure hiring from within is the best idea for them but maybe he's the right guy.

Their other programs actually perform pretty well in the A10. This seems to be motivated by men's basketball. Maybe someone who can raise capital for facility upgrades, as well.

Some sources say that Neubauer will remain in his job because his buyout is too high and the new athletic department officials may not want to deal with a coaching change amid the coronavirus pandemic.

Others say they expect Neubauer to be replaced.

So, it's 50/50.

I don't post in here a lot, but read most threads. I do know a decent amount of people connected to the Fordham athletic department, and there is a former power 5 coach that has reached out to Fordham about interest in the head coaching position. He has experience coaching in New York and has many NCAA tournament appearances in his career. I believe if they were to hire the coach, along with arena upgrades, it would be a big jump start to this program. The issues is, as it was stated above, many do not believe Fordham will pay Neubauer's buyout, and wait for his contract to expire after next season. People also doubt arena upgrades anytime soon. The University loves being able to talk about Rose Hill being the oldest gym in America.

CBFan likes this

41 minutes ago, bills11 said:

I don't post in here a lot, but read most threads. I do know a decent amount of people connected to the Fordham athletic department, and there is a former power 5 coach that has reached out to Fordham about interest in the head coaching position. He has experience coaching in New York and has many NCAA tournament appearances in his career. I believe if they were to hire the coach, along with arena upgrades, it would be a big jump start to this program. The issues is, as it was stated above, many do not believe Fordham will pay Neubauer's buyout, and wait for his contract to expire after next season. People also doubt arena upgrades anytime soon. The University loves being able to talk about Rose Hill being the oldest gym in America.

So Steve Lavin wants to coach again?

5 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

So Steve Lavin wants to coach again?

lavin probably up there with seth greenberg as the worst floor coach i have ever witnessed.   will never forget a game at the savvis when ucla was in town to play the billikens where he couldnt get the ucla players to listen to him in the timeout huddles.   they just would walk around on the sidelines and talk to each other while they sipped water.   didnt even bother to come to the huddle.   if i remember correctly spoon days?

1 minute ago, billiken_roy said:

lavin probably up there with seth greenberg as the worst floor coach i have ever witnessed.   will never forget a game at the savvis when ucla was in town to play the billikens where he couldnt get the ucla players to listen to him in the timeout huddles.   they just would walk around on the sidelines and talk to each other while they sipped water.   didnt even bother to come to the huddle.   if i remember correctly spoon days?

Yeah, it was in the Spoon days. They won the NCAA title in 1995, and it was a year or two after that because they had a couple of players from that team (Cameron Dollar being one) that were still on the team. Pretty sure it was before Hughes came here because it was a home and home and I think that Hughes’ team played at Pauley.

1 hour ago, bills11 said:

-it would be great for the A10 if Fordham upped their men's bball profile, cycling through coaches might not be the best way to raise that profile, unless they attract a star

-I get the nostalgia part about Rose Hill, I still miss the St Louis Arena for hockey 

-if Fordham tickets became a hot item perhaps that would lead to a building change, but might need the demand first and then by the time the building is ready that coach is gone

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

Let’s not forget Joey Meyer. He always gave us a chance to win no matter how much of a talent advantage he had.