OT: HBO's The Scheme

37 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

Debuted last night - includes audio from Will Wade and Sean Miller. Haven't gotten into it yet myself though. Has anyone watched it yet?

It is crazy that Will Wade only starting paying guys once he got to LSU

Yeah I watched last night. I thought it was really good, and very entertaining. Pretty frustrating to see that this case against Christian Dawkins was taking up so much FBI time and resources.

4 hours ago, NH said:

Yeah I watched last night. I thought it was really good, and very entertaining. Pretty frustrating to see that this case against Christian Dawkins was taking up so much FBI time and resources.

I understand the sentiment, but fraud is fraud. The more frustrating thing is that more of the corrupt people involved weren't prosecuted. 

30 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

I understand the sentiment, but fraud is fraud. The more frustrating thing is that more of the corrupt people involved weren't prosecuted. 

That’s effectively the same point. The more corrupt people weren’t prosecuted. So all we got out of a long and expensive FBI investigation was the conviction of Dawkins and a couple of other low-level basketball handlers. It was objectively a failure by the FBI.

Agree with NH. My main two takeaways were: 1. Amateurism is a sham. 2. This was a colossal waste of time and resources by the FBI.

At best, they netted a few small fish and gave up larger ones to do so. Sentences and penalties were minimal. Three years and untold taxpayer dollars spent - including the lead investigator blowing some of it in Vegas - for virtually nothing.

There are multiple high-level coaches on tape breaking NCAA rules and they're still employed. The schools have already said they aren't doing anything after new questions since the film has aired.

It's enough to make people question why the NCAA even exists.

Kind of like the impeachment. 

1 minute ago, Pistol said:

Agree with NH. My main two takeaways were: 1. Amateurism is a sham. 2. This was a colossal waste of time and resources by the FBI.

At best, they netted a few small fish and gave up larger ones to do so. Sentences and penalties were minimal. Three years and untold taxpayer dollars spent - including the lead investigator blowing some of it in Vegas - for virtually nothing.

There are multiple high-level coaches on tape breaking NCAA rules and they're still employed. The schools have already said they aren't doing anything after new questions since the film has aired.

Kind of like impeachment:)

4 hours ago, Pistol said:

Makes people not only question it, but goes a long way toward providing them with a pretty clear answer: to enrich itself, conferences, schools and coaches through unpaid labor. 

It also makes people wonder what the FBI is doing spending taxpayer money to enforce a private non-profit organization's rules?